Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Barra caught at Bribie Island

Re: Barra caught at Bribie Island

G'day

To me, something about the pic just doesn't look right, not sure what it is though.

Remember a few years ago... a penguin was washed up on north straddie?

Species will travel, whether it be accidental or not.

With the natural progression of the globe, seas will rise and retreat, temperature will rise and fall, albeit over a very long time period, but it will still happen.

Who would of thought that there'd be threadfin in the brisbane river?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Species will travel, whether it be accidental or not.

Dave
    i totally agree dave,,,,, and as posted earlier,,,, who would have believed a barra being caught in maroochydore,,,,??????????????

pic has a few issues,,,,as pointed out by kev,,,, and a few others,,,, but are we trying to undo a report that a barra WAS caught by delving into the possibilities that its a clever photoshop,,,,,???????

BUT THE MAIN ISSUE WITH THE PIC IS WHERE ARE THE OVERHEAD LIGHTS THAT HAVE BEEN IN PLACE FOR THE PAST 2-3 YEARS ON THE BRIDGE??????????

the local pelican flock love em as an overnite resting spot

bribie weekly ran the story,,,, i personally didn't read it,,, but if it was run,,, it means that the fish had to be presented at the 3-4 relevant weigh in centres for it to go to print

wheres ninginigel when you need him??????????????????

choppa
    Last edited by choppa; 21-07-2007 at 05:42 PM.
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

hey everyone,
    just having a read of this tread and i hope barra do start turning up down this way!!!
    i remember when i was younger and the odd mangrove jack showed up in moreton bay and was only somthing you would find more in the north, now they are as common as the next fish.

thanks, shappy

barra at bribie, threadfin salmon under the gateway, they catch them at marroom in the sand straits. What with the water being a chilly 14 degrees maybe he jumped into the cast net just to get out and warm up.

was this fish released to breed so there are more barra to catch?

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    was this fish released to breed so there are more barra to catch?
    Here we go again!

kev

Top Tips:

Nuns at St Cuthbert's School in the early 1950s. Demonstrate a keen sense of irony by calling yourselves the "Sisters of Mercy'" whilst beating the shit out of us kids on a daily basis with bamboo canes, leather straps, and anything else that you could lay your hands on.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

G'day

Bloody hell owen, how many rums for that?? i'm impressed!!

Would make the start of a great argument to put forward to any greenie out of line!

Dave

the overhead lights can be seen (or at least 1 of them) above his left hand, i think the others are just coincidently covered due to the distance between them.

SKEPTICS UNITE - ahh, that's just bullshit.

my concern is the clear evidence of what appears to be the lochness monster to the guys right. i've opened it in photoshop & it's so real i could hear it breathing.

Gotta love a good ghost story.

Matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

Quote Originally Posted by biosbro View Post

my concern is the clear evidence of what appears to be the lochness monster to the guys right. i've opened it in photoshop & it's so real i could hear it breathing.

Matt
    I think that's my deckie doing the topless backstroke!

kev

Top Tips:

Parents. Each week count the contents of your cutlery drawer. This way you can quickly identify if any spoons or knives have gone missing that could potentially be used to administer illegal drugs or commit violent crime.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by biosbro View Post
    the overhead lights can be seen (or at least 1 of them) above his left hand, i think the others are just coincidently covered due to the distance between them.

SKEPTICS UNITE - ahh, that's just bullshit.

Gotta love a good ghost story.

Matt

matt,,,, your right,,,, and i thank you for your ""eagle eye"" picking up nessie in the background,,,,,its got me buggered how i didn't notice that b4,,,,

i'm off to the weekly,,,, this will make a great report for next weeks paper

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Funny colour tail for a salty - maybe it was a farmed one that was released

I've seen very silver barra come from right up river systems & dark barra out in the rust water.

They are a migratory fish & do move around accordingly. They dont change color over night.

First pic is a barra from up the Daly River near Alligator Point.

Bottom pic is a barra taken from off the Perrin Islands NT.

The theory that barra in saltwater = silvery & barra in sweetwater = dark aint always true.

Have other pics here of barra caught in SEQ canals in the past weeks as well, tho none of them are of the same size.

Endemic to SEQ?? The debate will continue for sure, however one edition of Ern Grants great book decribed catching barra in Pummicestone Passage.

Believe it or not. Conspiracy theory? Global warming? Or just trick photography, smoke & mirros?

Interesting all the same.....

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Last edited by Fitzy; 22-07-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

well what colour eye's has the barra got a farmed barra has red eye's i think and a wild barra has yellow eye's . well thats what our guide said in darwin this year as a lot escaped from melville is this year from pens and some of the more underhanded guides were taking people to the area and catching a lot of fish but they were all smaller farmed barra and the flesh goe's to mush due to being fed on pellets and then tring to fend for themselves in the wild

shane

I've only just looked at this thread, I have a property not very far from the "exact" alledge spot that foto was taken, I cant say the foto was ridgy didge or not, but I can confirm the anomalies as pointed out is the edge of a marking post for an old oyster lease and from that I would say the bara was "caught" at the very mouth of ningi creek on the western side of the middle oyster ground. I've travelled past and "into" this point hundreds of time. LOL.

Shane I need u to be a tour guide for a day around donnybrooks when ever you"re ready.
    Last edited by hungry6; 22-07-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I'm still not convinced it is not a jewie pic taken at a angle to resemble a barra.

Does anyone who actually saw or better still handled this fish want to stick thier hands up an vouch for it's originality?

Jack.
    Last edited by tunaticer; 22-07-2007 at 07:06 PM.