Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Barra caught at Bribie Island

Re: Barra caught at Bribie Island

How old would that barra be? For what it is worth on a forum, In the mid 80s I saw and touched my first barra, caught only a couple of minutes before hand on some lure by my mate along the dropoff at Whiteside?? (then just north of the built-up areas on the western side of bribie). Not as big as that brute!

Cheers fnq

there was a dolphin fish caught at Eagle Hawk Neck this year, south east corner of tassie.
    cheers
    blaze

If the Barra survive well at the barra farm at bli bli, I cant see why they would not survive in the wild.

It's also possible it was released from one of those big display tanks they have at tourneys and shows.

the pic looks authentic enough (sorry Kev but that is a post & its reflection in the water in left corner). If not someone's gone to alot of trouble transporting it for a photo shoot - MAKEUP!!!

Look out all you Bribarians, your about to be consumed with high speed, octane powered, sponsor supported, vest wearing, platform casting, lure chucking, Barra comp pros. Just kiddin'..............or am I.

If this so called 'global warming' is to blame then WHY IS IT SO FRIGGIN' COLD.

Ahh mother nature, isn't she a sneaking wench.

Matt
    Last edited by Mattg68; 20-07-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    c'mon, take the bait....

So how long do you reckon before we start catching them at Ballina!

It's would say it's a fake guys. If you open it up in photoshop, and do some pixel peeping you will see quite a lot of jpg artifacts around the fish and person, however no artifacts around the bridge, light post, etc. Also the shadows don't match up from the direction of the sun.

Also, if you play with the histogram and dick around with the levels, it really stands out as a 'good' photochop.

Would be nice to believe though
    Last edited by xerubus; 20-07-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    www.mogozobo.com <-- a few fishing yarns and general family blog
    Gone fishin' ... back at dark-thirty!

A couple of points to those who don't know the Bribie area very well.
    Where are all of the cars on the Bribie bridge?
    Where are the overhead lights and rails on the bridge, they have been there for years?
    I know the location of the pic, but in the background, you should see the northern end of Ningi Creek and Toorbul, they aren't there.
    I'm not too sure this is for real.
    Tim

The overhead lights can be seen above the hand thats holding the lipgrip. The angle of the sun is consistant. kevs bit is just a post and its reflection. If you know this ramp, youd know the post.

This shot seems to be taken from the VMR boat ramp looking back towards the Sth? So ningi ck would not be visible.

I would think a tackleshop report in the paper would be confirmed before being reported. Im a believer anyway.

I might open it up in photoshop when I get some time. The histogram comment is certainly worth looking into.

Andrew

I'm sure the guys down south won't miss out on these monster global warming barra's either!!

Bit of a dodgy effort.. but i'm at work and don't have much spare time atm.
    www.mogozobo.com <-- a few fishing yarns and general family blog
    Gone fishin' ... back at dark-thirty!

Hard to tell if it's fake without seeing the original high res picture, Being a compressed image will degrade the quality a fair bit. I showed one of the guy's I work with who is a keen pictaker and does a lot of Photoshop manipulation, $7000 camera's and all the rest. We enlarged it in Photoshop and he thought it looked real. If it's a fake it's a really good one.
    Quite a lot of Barra in farms around the area so it sure is possible.
    Sure would be a surprising catch.

There was a photo in one of the fishing monthlys a few months back of someone getting a barra in the logan.

Nice work Xerubus.

Talking Re: Barra caught at Bribie Island

Quote Originally Posted by minno View Post
    The waters are warming, and the fish population will move down with it. The great barra reef will soon, with- in a hundred years, be right on your door step.
    The coral and its life will enrich our fishing world, so I think this is a good sign, depending on how you look at it.

minno
    I’m going out to buy some scuba gear this weekend, before it goes up in price if that is the case! Does any one know where the pic originated from? They are in the Noosa River so it’s not a stretch to think there would be a few in the passage, but I have my reservations on that photo, but who knows.

Nice work xerubus, I think you proved something there. As for the post, I use the boatramp at the VMR everyweek but I dont recall the post ??? Is it on the north or south side of the little jetty?
    ________
    Kitchen Measures