Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share Catch Or Each For Their Own

Share Catch Or Each For Their Own

HI all just wanting your opinion on a scenario that happened to me
    I went fishing with a mate out on the bay the snapper were biting their heads of we caught over 40 legal size squireish snapper up to 68cm there was another boat fishing close to us and the fallas on that boat didnt have as much luck so when we reached our bag limit of 10 snapper we gave 6 legal size fish to the fellas in the ather boat who were down on luck and didn`t have any fish.
    We then continued fishing and once our bag limit was reached we continued to release the rest of our catch until we called it a day.
    I have copped a little bit of a ribbing for doing that

so what do you think was it the wrong thing to do helping out some fellow fisherman down on luck ?

or would you consider doing the same ?

It is pretty hard sometimes when you see other boats blitzing it around you and your not getting a bite .Thats my opinion anyway .

Its not like this happens all the time it was a once of

I do respect bag limits but is it really any different to 2 blokes going fishing and one catches all the fish and still taking the bag limit for 2 anglers witch happens all the time.

let me know what you think guys

cheers Pete

Re: Share Catch Or Each For Their Own

Well it depends how you look at it I suppose. Me, a bag limit is per person not per person and his mates, If that makes sence, Personally fishing is about catching the fish yourself for the thrill. If im not catching any but others around me are to bad for me but if I catch my limit but my mates havnt thats it for me, no more keepers. I'm there for the fun and the thrill so I dont think that I would want a hand out from the others anyway. Thats my opinion on the subject but I'm not telling you what you should do or think....
    Cheers T.T.
    ________
    WIKI VAPORIZER

You already know my opinion,mate.
    But I will try to be clearer.
    If its on my boat then the catch is combined and shared equally.
    If the bag limit is reached then any over are returned to the watery depths,we/I fish for some other species(ie do a bit off trolling) or the other option is to head home.

regards Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    You already know my opinion,mate.
    But I will try to be clearer.
    If its on my boat then the catch is combined and shared equally.
    If the bag limit is reached then any over are returned to the watery depths,we/I fish for some other species(ie do a bit off trolling) or the other option is to head home.

regards Scott
    Scott does that mean you will combine bag limits ? so you can catch 5 more if he catches 5 less?

Cheers T.T.
    ________
    VOYEUR TUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Tailortaker View Post
    Scott does that mean you will combine bag limits ? so you can catch 5 more if he catches 5 less?

Cheers T.T.
    Yeah mate when I fish the reef I mainly fish alone but when I have company the expenses are shared as are the fish.So for example if I catch 6 trout and he catchs 8 then this is our combined bag limit of 14 for the anglers on the boat.
    I see that you take it the the letter of the law and keep a personal count of your own fish.Sure is admirable.Is that fishing on a boat or on the shore(not that it really matters I suppose)
    But no I dont exceed the boats bag limit and then start giving them away to other boats in the area.
    It sounds like an interesting thread though.

regards

Scott
    Last edited by disorderly; 12-07-2007 at 05:08 PM.

I would also like to make it quite clear that most of my fishing is game fishing and this trip was supposed to be a trip offshore trolling but the weather was bad so i headed to the bay instead ( wich is a rare occasion for me ) so i release most of my fish and only ever keep the odd wahoo because i enjoy a feed of wahoo
    thanks

what goes around comes around not many nice guys around these days most people i meet out fishing now are grouchy bastards and wont even tell you if they had any luck or if it is worth going out

e personally i dont think it was right to hand fish over to the other guys, but that said its my own opinion and i wouldnt try to force it upon anyone else. i have never kept a full bag of fish most fish i have ever taken home was 4 with everything else being released.

i tend to think that u exceeded your bag limit by handing fish to another fisho, ie, u kept your bag then continued to keep more fish, so in essence u exceeded your bag by the 6 fish that u gave to the other fisherman as they were your fish that you didnt return to fight another day.

im glad it was a one off as u say

cheers, daniel

If you wanted to be pedantic about it, it could be argued that the law was broken. For that brief time that it took you to hand your excess catch over, you were in fact, exceeding your limit by being "in possession"

That said, apart for spotties, I don't think I've ever reached my bag limit that I can remember, so I haven't been faced with the prospect of wondering what to do with the excess.

I don't think I'd accept another fishos "charity' though. Just doesn't ring right for me.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Were the fellas down on luck fishing the same technique as you?

I think I personally would have helped them out with the technique I was using and maybe even given them a SP and jighead or a piece of bait. I would not accept fish from another boat/fisho but that is my opinion, others may differ. I prefer the thrill of catching them myself.

Well my 2 cents and good on ya for helping out another fisho!

Crumbo
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.

i rekon its not a bad idea to share your catch with others that dont have any luck, especially if they are very close to you.
    i guess it is one of the situations where what goes around comes around. i hope thats how it would work if i didnt have any luck

i my self wont take any fish of any one.i would rather catch them my self.if that person does not want there fish i would rather them let it go than give it away. CHEERS SWANNY

Interesting discussion. I rarely 'bag out'. Sometimes because I'm not a good enough fisherman. Other times because if I can't eat it today or tomorrow, I don't keep it. I've only kept fish to freeze a few times ( though we stiill have a bit of Barra and Jack in the freezer from outr recent trip to the 'Gulf').
    On the other hand, have I given fish I've caught away? Sure have. Do it all the time. Have even given fish away out on the water as described here. And on one occasiion have accepted fish in the same manner.

What does all this mean. Guess it means I have no problem with what has happened.
    But I do think we all need to think of bag limits as a maximum, not a target. You can get the thrill of 'bagginig out' while still returning a lot of the fish for others and ultimately our children and grand children.

I have gorn out fishing at night in maroochy river and caught my bag of bream and had to head home early ,
    but when i got back to the ramp there is some poor bloke fishin there and not catching a thing so i have given him some of my fish and gorn back out and got my bag again and then gorn home,
    personaly i cant see anything wrong with it if you help some one else by giving them a feed i think its just being generous ,he looked hungry so why not .
    i fish for the dinner table thats the way i was bought up .

........BOB

have already said my piece on monos thead windy conditions. also relates to this one as well.
    i would only add 1 more thing, enjoy ur offshore fishing

greg