Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Blade Jig Question

Re: Knife Blade Jig Question

Phill

Cougar’s right on the money except you only need one split ring.

A typical set-up is hook (on Dacron or Dyneema) connected to ring – split ring (which attaches to the jig) - ring - leader 100-150lb – mainline (50-120lb braid)

Try and get heavy duty splits (300lb) and solid rings as the splits can open up like a paper clip if something nasty tries to extend the length of your arms.

In terms of hooks, go for quality. Daiichi (sic) or Decoy single cutlass are the best IMO. For solid rings (up to 900lb) you can’t go past Owner. This might seem like overkill but it really isn’t.

Most of the fish that love jigs will attack them head first, that's one of the reasons the hook is at the head. You can put two hooks on the jig if you like, but as Cougar says, it will be more prone to snagging on the bottom and is a lot more dangerous when trying to get the hook out of a potentially big fish.

The other reason why the assist hook is rigged the way it is to prevent the fish getting any leverage. It can shake its head as much as it likes but mostly the jig will stay right in the corner of the mouth.

Good luck with it mate.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by Big_Ren; 24-07-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling error

thanks Paul, i just spoke to Phill on this subject a few mins ago

thanks Phill for the info also

Daz

OK, so it appears that 1 x split ring and 2 x brass rings are the go ??

Thanks to all who assisted.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    OK, so it appears that 1 x split ring and 2 x brass rings are the go ??

Thanks to all who assisted.

Cheers Phill
    Phill, if ya dont mind can you plz post a pic of a jig set up correct way
    must be the wine but im still a bit confused

Daz

Here you go Daz. Hopefully these pics will make it easier to see.

Cheers
    Paul

A couple more....the split ring is really the central point. It attaches to the jig eyelet and to the two solid rings - one solid ring attaches to the dacron and hook, the second solid ring attaches to your leader....in my case I prefer to crimp the line rather than do a knot.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks a heap Paul, i also have just started useing Jigs but never riged mine this way

Daz

Thanks Paul, pics much appreciated.

Now to find a pair of split-ring pliers that can do the job on those 250lb splits.

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Some fantastic info & pics there for new comers to jigging. I myself would like to try some jigging, so my question is what weight should I be using? I assume this depends on water depth, current etc but if I were to get some 150g knife jigs, would this be a good start in water from 30-40m?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Born to Fish....Forced to Work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of my fishing experience is in the tropics and I would have to say that most things that would eat a jig that size are usually pretty toothy (spanish, dogtooth etc.). So is it possible to use wire instead of dacron to attach the hook? I guess a short wire leader would be ok. Anyone got any thoughts?

no need

the dacron is super tough - and even really chopped up is very strong.

I don't think the toothies get the right scissors action on it because the metal jig is in the way

they tend to wear a lot around the knot, and a piece of heat shrink over that gives more than ample protection. The hooks come off easily, so as soon as they show too much wear, rip them off and change out, and later just retie the dacron to use the hook again

cheers

Mick

I once bled a spanish over the side of the boat by using 3mm white blind cord looped through the gills and out the mouth. I had it hanging there for less than a minute before the teeth had cut through the cord with just the rocking of the boat (it wasn't kicking around or biting on the cord). So given that experience I find it hard to believe their teeth would not cut through the dacron, especially under strain. So is it possible to use wire considering that would be my preference to prevent bite offs.

Matt.

Make some up with 220-250lb 7strand, it still works a treat and lasts better on Doggies and the Razor gang. The YGK Zylon is the best of the Assist materials for abrasion followed by Kevlar Cord, if you can find them .
    There is also the Shout Metal Assist Hooks

Thanks GPB

I had never previously thjought wire was necessary, but thats not to say it won't work. I've been caught without gear (ran out of everything) and had to improvise with what I had laying around.........

I have used really ugly crimped on wire, and even clips, to hold on hooks - it all works

split rings, don't even really need them.......... (better of course, but I have gone with out them when they were not available)

cheers

Mick