Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What a waste

Re: What a waste

Must admit I'm a little confused with the 'don't stock' side in this argument,your argument seems to be based on the fact that they can die there for they should not be stocked regardless of that species occuring as a wild population in the same area,this being so,why would you not oppose all stocking of all species in all impoundments?Any dam is capable of suffering a 'Turn Over' triggering massive fish kills.

Just read a report in the local paper here, one bloke counted over 500 Barra along one stretch of bank near the ski club, so numbers would be in the thousands.

Would also just like to add that I am NOT on the side that says stop stocking. I hope no group makes this decision and really don't think that any of the stocking groups would even entertain the thought. It is a sad, unfortunate event, but the fisheries will recover from it, with a little help of course.
    Last edited by davez104; 20-07-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Fitzy,

To your comment on Tilapia Kill, there are a lot of Tilapia dying at NPD which is good to see
    Tanglefoot

Quote Originally Posted by oscar64 View Post
    Davez

As I keep saying if ya dont like what's happening at Lenthalls then go fish somewhare else and whinge about their regulations, fish stocking, fish kills etc etc.................................. more dribble removed...............................

NOW- can we please move on.

Pete
    Sorry, but what a load of rubbish.

If the fish don't survive why keep stocking it? What a waste...........

This is a forum, and if you don't like to hear other opinions than you move along. Now lenthals is not owned by the stocking groups or one vocal ranger , its a water supply that we all are lucky enough to enjoy and all can publically express our concerns and praises.
    Last edited by roydsy; 21-07-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    Just read a report in the local paper here, one bloke counted over 500 Barra along one stretch of bank near the ski club, so numbers would be in the thousands.

Would also just like to add that I am NOT on the side that says stop stocking. I hope no group makes this decision and really don't think that any of the stocking groups would even entertain the thought. It is a sad, unfortunate event, but the fisheries will recover from it, with a little help of course.
    Exactly, now is this a minor fish kill of barra, fact is its a large one and should be on the minds of the stocking committee as to the suitability of barra in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by roydsy View Post
    Sorry, but what a load of rubbish.

If the fish don't survive why keep stocking it? What a waste...........

In the spirit of healthy debate lets examine this statement in the context of the preliminary report out of DPI of over 20 fish kills in different sites across the whole of Queensland and interestingly not just in impoundments either. Are you suggesting that stocking groups discontinue the stocking process for Barra across the state?

My other question relates to the success you have had at these stocked impoundments, I'd be interested to know at how many of them have you experienced the thrill of hooking up to a good sized Barra?

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Must admit I'm a little confused with the 'don't stock' side in this argument,your argument seems to be based on the fact that they can die there for they should not be stocked regardless of that species occuring as a wild population in the same area,this being so,why would you not oppose all stocking of all species in all impoundments?Any dam is capable of suffering a 'Turn Over' triggering massive fish kills.
    Banshee...Awoonga and Monduran have not suffered the same fate as some of the others..Why ?..'sheer large volumes of water take more effort to cool down. And suprisingly, depth is not singularly what fish look for, it is stability in temperature and with that, warmth, Awoonga is also lucky because we don't cop the extreme low temps in air temperature. ..Once again my opinion...Any its amazing that one persons opinion can have such a effect on people....l dont have a hidden agenda..But for what l have been told in the last few days there seems to be one.... Someone wants to line there pockets with barra gold .... Fact or fiction time will tell'.. A piece of good news is that there is a AGM soon for the fish stocking group. A new broom sweeps clean so they say....Stay tuned
    Last edited by Awoonga; 21-07-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shayned View Post
    Are you suggesting that stocking groups discontinue the stocking process for Barra across the state?
    No are you? Just take a good hard look at lenthals. Well done at the other quality locations, three cheers and beers.

My other question relates to the success you have had at these stocked impoundments, I'd be interested to know at how many of them have you experienced the thrill of hooking up to a good sized Barra?...Quote ..... Quite a few... Lets see.. Awoonga, Monduran Callide,Teemburra, Faust all over a mtre also caught Barra at Lenthalls.. but no big ones...

This is not rpt not a normal occurrence, its is happening in various impoundments and other systems to a lot of species.

You have a drought, low overnight temps and other factors.

The stocking groups are doing a great job. Seems like some people just want to have barra stocked at their only impoundments.

The groups in the various areas have the best handle on what is best.

It will happen no matter what the enterprise, the elements will give you a hiding at some time. Just get over it and see what you personally can do to help the groups with their stocking.

If you fish all those impoundments and get pleasure out of doing it, then surely you should be putting a bit into each of those impoundments. Ie. If not time then maybe a donation would be handy.

A lot of us that dont get to fish on the regular basis that it seems some of you do, are rightly proud of the job that has been done by the stocking groups. What a great resource for a lot of areas suffering from drought and government inaction.

When you have any sort of stock, OR commodity, then at some stage you will get losses. IT IS A FACT OF LIFE.

Trevor

Interesting thread Trev and good to see some healthy debate. Even though I'm (and most of the guys I fish with) no longer allowed to put my boat on Lenthalls I hate to see such a valuable resource wasted. All stocking groups have had it hard for a while and the carnage left by this cold snap is just rubbing salt into wounds caused by the drought.
    Hopefully the cold snap is over and the temps in these smaller shallow dams will rise just as quickly as it dropped.
    Mike

Hey guys. I think its just part of nature, cod have died in roll overs in murray darling catchment caused by cold water inflows,catfish have died in farm dams, cattle and sheep and other animals die in droughts. Just nature. Where would this country be if farmers gave up after losing stock to natural occurances?

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    This is not rpt not a normal occurrence, its is happening in various impoundments and other systems to a lot of species.

You have a drought, low overnight temps and other factors.

The stocking groups are doing a great job. Seems like some people just want to have barra stocked at their only impoundments.

The groups in the various areas have the best handle on what is best.

It will happen no matter what the enterprise, the elements will give you a hiding at some time. Just get over it and see what you personally can do to help the groups with their stocking.

If you fish all those impoundments and get pleasure out of doing it, then surely you should be putting a bit into each of those impoundments. Ie. If not time then maybe a donation would be handy.

A lot of us that dont get to fish on the regular basis that it seems some of you do, are rightly proud of the job that has been done by the stocking groups. What a great resource for a lot of areas suffering from drought and government inaction.

When you have any sort of stock, OR commodity, then at some stage you will get losses. IT IS A FACT OF LIFE.

Trevor
    ....Mate Why would l just want Barra stocked here ????The world has found Awoonga as it is.....As far as Donations go every year l donate dollars to each stocking group through SIP and the Competitions that l go in Part of the entry fee goes back to them....To give you a example the Faust catch and release tournament is $320 per angler...The Barra tour is another example...

Also think so much for global warming, coldest temps in some places since 1941.
    Last edited by catch_n_cod; 22-07-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    ....Mate Why would l just want Barra stocked here ????The world has found Awoonga as it is.....As far as Donations go every year l donate dollars to each stocking group through SIP and the Competitions that l go in Part of the entry fee goes back to them....To give you a example the Faust catch and release tournament is $320 per angler...The Barra tour is another example...

Yeah so does Joe Blow who only fishes once or twice, If you decide to fish the tournaments and enjoy the fish stocked by each stocking authority. Then you should ensure that a great percentage of your tournaments fees goes back to the individual group.

Seems that this ACT OF NATURE is impinging on the greater glory of some.

The title of this thread was possible chosen to incite people, but hopefully it will make them think that fishing the impoundments and the fish stock by the groups is not a personal right.

A lot of farmers and business' and local people who depend on good seasons would love to not have been effected by the drought. Now it seems it has upset a few who think it is the personal right to fish where and when they chose.

Guess as an ex farmer who went through years of drought and stock losses, I am a bit of a realist. Thats nature, get over it and yes, see what you can personally do to help those who are really suffering in this drought.

On the big scale of things this is not major. So stop trying to beat it up.

Have a nice day and we all pray for rain to fix the problems for all of Australia.

Trev