Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What a waste

Re: What a waste

Hope you're talking about your dog!!!!!!

The guys that stock Lentalls must be really concerned.
    It is a shame to see the loss of fish stock due to natural causes. (cold spell).
    Imagine how upset they get when the meato's pillage the place.

Those barra were only there through the effort of the dedicated members of the stocking group. The Barra proved to be an overwhelming success. Many people went to Hervey bay area, just to catch barra. What great sport fish they proved to be.

Yes some of the fish failed to survive the cold spell.

But we know with the continued fine efforts of the stocking group, we will again have a really great fishery.

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_unit View Post
    Further evidence of an abnormally cold winter, -3.1 degrees celcius this morning in Maryborough. This was the coldest day ever recorded.

An extract from an ABC report -

It is official - it has been extremely cold in much of Queensland this week.
    The weather bureau says records were broken yesterday with many places reporting very low daytime temperatures. ......................Lets keep this factual !!!
    Cheers
    James
    Lets take a reality check.

Scientists are now forecasting warmer summers and colder winters, these weather extremes are predicted to become the norm not the exception. With dry weather comes colder extremes. Global warming and elnino are to blame? Well who really knows, weather predictors are separated, and I don't claim to have the answers. What I do know is over the last decade we have experienced some very bizarre weather in SE QLD and it appears to be a continuing trend.

I salute the hard work of the stocking association, but don't agree in stocking barra in a shallow dam that is situated so far south. Put the money into proven species for that dam, bass.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

James, can I ask how you came at the .4% figure. From my experience breeding fish, small changes in temperature kill baby fish very easily. The only fish you are seeing on the dam are the bigger ones that you can see easily, how do you know that all the tiny fingerlings released haven't been killed as well. I suspect that the loss of tiny fish is much greater than you think.

Great comments, some a little to left field.

The stocking groups are doing a great job.

But with any enterprise or job their is profit and loss.

Dead fish and live fish it is the overall survival percentages over the years. The funds generated for a community.

Talk to a few of those farmers about drought and no water for their stock. But they have to accept nature. Hot spells, Cold spells, Wet weather, Cyclones and Droughts.

All these things have an effect on everyone, not just the privileged few who fish the dam.

In the overall scheme of the drought etc. Just think that this is small beans.

Yes an ex-farmer from generations of farmer.

It is a great privilege to be able to fish in those impoudments. But its is not your exclusive right to the water.

Be thankful for all the work especially by the stocking groups.

Try and improve what you ca, where you can and sometimes you will have losses. It is just a fact of life.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    James, can I ask how you came at the .4% figure. From my experience breeding fish, small changes in temperature kill baby fish very easily. The only fish you are seeing on the dam are the bigger ones that you can see easily, how do you know that all the tiny fingerlings released haven't been killed as well. I suspect that the loss of tiny fish is much greater than you think.

Basic mathematical equation.

When you spend a lot of hours studying the water and its life forms you tend to be able to give accurate assessments of a situation when combined with proven methods provided by various resources.

Cheers
    James

James,
    That doesn't sound like a mathematical equation to me. Looks more to me like "Because I think I know a lot and I said so". I'm not saying you don't know anything about it. I have no doubt you know a hell of a lot more about this than me, I've been freshwater fishing once in my entire life. BUT if you're going to use a specific figure like that, why not back it up?
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by roydsy View Post
    Lets take a reality check.

Scientists are now forecasting warmer summers and colder winters, these weather extremes are predicted to become the norm not the exception. With dry weather comes colder extremes. Global warming and elnino are to blame? Well who really knows, weather predictors are separated, and I don't claim to have the answers. What I do know is over the last decade we have experienced some very bizarre weather in SE QLD and it appears to be a continuing trend.

I salute the hard work of the stocking association, but don't agree in stocking barra in a shallow dam that is situated so far south. Put the money into proven species for that dam, bass.
    Fact 1 -

Barramundi ( Lates calcarifer ) are commonly found in the Burrum River and even further south in the Mary River and possibly even further south yet again.

Fact 2 -

40000 barra have been stocked into Lake Lenthall since 1997.

Fact 3 -

FCFSA has recently implemented its new 5 year management plan in consultation with other government agencies and barra are to be stocked into Lake Lenthall & other waterways for the next five years.

Fact 4 -

A vast majority of anglers when polled here on Ausfish about future stocking programs for Lake Lenthall gave an overwhelming response in favour of seeing barra stocked.

Fact 5 -

Exceptional natural circumstances are the reason for the minor fish kill.

Fact 6 -

If you want to give something back to your fishery then join the FCFSA and do something both constructive and positive about its management and future.

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by imnotoriginal View Post
    James,
    That doesn't sound like a mathematical equation to me. Looks more to me like "Because I think I know a lot and I said so". I'm not saying you don't know anything about it. I have no doubt you know a hell of a lot more about this than me, I've been freshwater fishing once in my entire life. BUT if you're going to use a specific figure like that, why not back it up?
    Joel
    One thing I wont do anymore is pass on a lot of info, on this forum. Far to many internet heroes around here just looking for ways to start trouble or cause headaches.

You have pretty much summed it all up in your reply, " I have no doubt you know a hell of a lot more about this than me, I've been freshwater fishing once in my entire life. " well that says it all for mine.

Not to mention Ive got some excellent resources.

Cheers
    James

One thing I wont do anymore is pass on a lot of info, on this forum. Far to many internet heroes around here just looking for ways to start trouble or cause headaches.

You have pretty much summed it all up in your reply, " I have no doubt you know a hell of a lot more about this than me, I've been freshwater fishing once in my entire life. " well that says it all for mine.

Not to mention Ive got some excellent resources.

Cheers
    James
    Not looking to start trouble mate, but it's a pet hate of mine when people make specific statements and won't back them up. I'm not challenging the fact that you would know more about this subject than me, THAT'S WHY I SAID IT. But you've followed it up with the exact same thing as the first time. If you've got "some excellent resources"...name them. Other than that, you're making another observation and playing it as fact.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

For christs sake James, he just asked how you got your figures, no need to get all defensive about it. So how about, how did you get that figure? Did you pass out a census and tally the results all official like, or did you just do an unofficial roll call? Just curious is all.

All the dams that have had fish kills have all been larger fish according to reports, but with the amount of bird life at most dams I reckon a 4, 5 or 6 inch fish wouldn't last 5 minutes floundering on the surface, so that could be why no small fish have been seen. But then I don't have any scientific data to back that up so should maybe keep my trap shut.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotoriginal View Post
    Not looking to start trouble mate, but it's a pet hate of mine when people make specific statements and won't back them up. I'm not challenging the fact that you would know more about this subject than me, THAT'S WHY I SAID IT. But you've followed it up with the exact same thing as the first time. If you've got "some excellent resources"...name them. Other than that, you're making another observation and playing it as fact.
    Joel
    With out getting any further off track, Im not telling you or anyone else here any detailed specific info.

Cheers
    James

With out getting any further off track, Im not telling you or anyone else here any detailed specific info.

Cheers
    James
    But why,James?
    Several people have asked a legitimate question as to how you can scientifically assess the fish mortality rate (as you have stated you can accurately do to the degree of one tenth of a percent.)
    I am not trying to be an "internet hero",I am just very curious also.
    What is the "basic mathematical equation"you claimed to use to arrive at this figure?

Cheers
    Scott

I could pour fuel on this fire right here right now, but I will leave it. Lets get back on track!

I would like to know roughly how many dead Barra have been spotted in this cold snap. Not after an exact figure, just a rough estimate on how many and what size these fish are at. As much as I like Bass, they are suited for this area of Australia... so I am not wanting to hear how many unfortunate Bass have surcom to the cold. As we speak, the forecast for tonight and the weekend looks pretty darn cold! This 'tally' could rise... fact!

I would also like to know what you call a 'minor' fish Kill James, and anyone else for that matter. I saw the number '60' appear at the start of the thread. 60 dead Barra is not a minor Fish Kill, despite their been tens of thousands of Barra in the Lake. In this thread I also saw the number '7' (referred to as Bass I believe, going off memory) - This is a minor fish kill... fact!. A number of dead fish like that must bring for change... whether it be a big change (like not stocking the Barra) or a small change. Something can be done!

Now... instead of heading off on different paths, lets talk about how changes could benefit this Fishery in the years to come.

Theo.
    TT

Didn't count the ones at Fairbairn dam, but easily hundreds, maybe worse. Almost all were around 50cm with a few bigger ones here and there including one absolute horse of a thing, 110+. Last year was the first year that big numbers of Barra have been stocked in this dam, so that could account for the predominantly small fish.

Dave.