Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What a waste

Re: What a waste

On the original topic, we get cold kills in Lake Moondarra, at Mt Isa. Not many stocked dams north of us. There is one at croydon in the gulf, and Lake Tinaroo, which gets a lot colder than here (getting regular frost in Atherton according to brother in law).
    On average every 5 yrs or so with a long cold winter barra die in the shallow areas of the lake. The lake overall is quite shallow, and with the water level up high, large areas are covered with water that is only about 1m deep. It is devestating, especially having been heavily involved with MIFSG for years, but this is but one of the many setbacks you get while stocking barra. I would have to say our biggest fish kill came one year when we put in 75000 fingerlings. As I recall, not one of that year class showed up next summer. All the hard work to raise the funds for zip, now that was heartbreaking.
    Barra also die further north in the gulf area, mainly in the smaller fresh water waterholes. Have never seen any die in the salt.

Goddy

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Well the late mail is Sunwater and DPI are now involved...
    Trevor it appears to me that from the comment quoted above that you do not have all the facts. A debate should be about facts not here say and inuendo.

Just how many fish did you see ?

If you would like to see Lenthalls only stocked with bass as you suggested to me on Sunday then just come out and say it.

Perhaps you as a participating ABT angler at Lenthalls last Sunday can explain to everyone why we also found 7 fresh dead bass on the following Monday after an ABT Bass Electric tournament ?

I have nothing more to say, other than you sure did raise my blood pressure BUT Im already over it.

Cheers
    James

PS - Ask your late mail deliverer for a refund as Wide Bay Water Corp & the EPA would have been the correct late mail.

James...Late mail referred to Callide Dam...As far as dead bass ? l never got a hit on Sunday...So cant help you with that one....Why did your blood pressure go up ? as l said in my original post this is my opinion... This is a forum...debate is healthy... Yes after what l saw on Sunday its still my opinion that this dam is too shallow for Barra...

Great topic Trevor good to see it's got passionate people thinking - nice work.

So many good points made by many. What we have taken out of this chat is the plight of small communities doing it hard in the drought like the towns surrounding Wuruma Dam - Eidsvold & Monto etc.

With tourism a great way to keep the future generation in jobs when the farmers in the area are doing it tough we think that whoever owns the dams water should take a little more responsibility for the whole community by keeping a safe level of water in the dams to sustain not only fish life but the rest of the environment it supports. With Barra bringing in $50 per fish in returns the money soon adds up. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that 20-30 boats a weekend on the dam with 10-20 or so travelling grey nomads etc can quickly pump more than $250 000 in to a struggling community which keeps things ticking over. If you want to know how much fuel travelling boaties put in to a servo just check out Caltex at Benaraby = many boats put in 100+ litres when they rock up and 70ltrs in the car when they leave + food etc. $170+.

For those that don't know many areas in the country can't field football teams for the first time in decades - that many of the younger generation (and older) have left many struggling country regions.

We saw this at Wuruma where you would only meet friendly locals when the dam was known for Yellowbelly and Bass. As soon as Barra hit one Abc radio report it had us there every few weeks. It was the best Impoundment Barra fishing we have enjoyed!!!!

Then we started meeting people from hundreds of km's away fishing what was a great dam. Then we started to see yellow number plates (NSW) in the camp site which was great for the local community putting thousands in to the local towns on every wknd. Then grey nomads started to camp there with word spreading around the dog show scene that wuruma was dog friendly and free with firewood even provided from the local mill!!!

Our point is that should water owners be allowed to drain a dam to a non - fish sustaining point (barra)? Most fish we caught in 2005/2005 were from 60-82cm and many would be over the magic metre mark now. Most are dead now. Yes it's a tough drought and cold winter. But should dams be drained this low?

Surely a small dam like this could be left above 1%. Maybe 5% + etc to allow deeper holes etc and give fish a greater chance to live in summer and winter. It's good to see some high profile anglers getting on to this point in national mags - well done. Think of all the money spend on stocking them now wasted.

Many people we have spoken to in SEQ don't know much about barra or much about the state of our dams, our point might be explained by the pics we have attached. Just thought this was the perfect chat topic to put some suggestions forward as we don't want monduran to be a small creek in the future etc. Well done to everyone who has contributed, you all have passion for fishing and arn't scared to have a say.

See you on a Barra Dam one day. Cheers Lyndon & Kel

Whats left of the main basin in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Cheers Chris

P.S. Would there be any dilemas with the stocking people taking the larger breeders and putting them in salt water once caught from an impoundment???
    A good question and one I cant answer but I suspect the logistics would be difficult, even if it wasn't breaking a regulation in relation to introducing a concentration of DNA into a wild area.

Thanks for this thread Trevor. You're expectations are correct in that it has raised quite a debate. Be disappointing if it didn't really. Probably volumes could be written about this topic and still leave a number of inconclusive findings. I believe that it these latest observations need to be taken into account for future stocking considerations and whether any design considerations/management strategies could be adopted to better safeguard the fish stocked against large climatic variations. If Lenthalls is too shallow to provide a cushion for extended cold snaps, will the planned raising provide sufficent increased buffer? What is the likelihood of low water levels and an extended cold snap occuring in conjunction in the future?? Are current (or anticipated) loss levels acceptable for fish stockists/anglers/other concerned groups/general public??? Great to see healthy debate-let it continue.

Cheers,
    Steve.

James...Late mail referred to Callide Dam...As far as dead bass ? l never got a hit on Sunday...So cant help you with that one....Why did your blood pressure go up ? as l said in my original post this is my opinion... This is a forum...debate is healthy... Yes after what l saw on Sunday its still my opinion that this dam is too shallow for Barra...
    This thread appeared to be concerned with Lenthalls.

As a member of FCFSA and also as a Ranger at Lenthalls I find some of your opinions negative towards the future of Lenthalls.

Debate is healthy provided it relies upon facts.

There are some major contributing facts to the minor fish kill at Lake Lenthall -

1) Tree clearing has allowed chilling winds to directly impact the water temps ( this has never happened before )- tree clearing is compulsory to ensure water quality. Also from a fish perspective rotting vegetation would have ensured a much larger fish kill down the track.

2) An abnormally cold winter ( temps of -1 degree celcius )

3) A drought.

Some other facts -

Barra have been stocked since 1997.

Several places in Lenthalls have 20+ feet depths, 40 feet is the deepest point at present and these depths will become deeper. The dam is at 56%.

This fish kill is minor, out of 40000 stocked barra fingerlings we have lost less than 0.4% of total stocked numbers. This is an artificially stocked impoundment and mother nature as per usual has the final say, yet one catch & release bass tournament and 7 bass are dead.

It is estimated that more fish both bass & barra have gone over the wall in the last ten years.

A far more appropriate means of voicing your opinion would be to join our stocking group.

Cheers
    James

Positive people have positive outcomes.

James join the Stocking group.good idea..Send me a pm glad to join...Why is this not a appropraite place to air my concerns ?....

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Great topic Trevor good to see it's got passionate people thinking - nice work.

So many good points made by many. What we have taken out of this chat is the plight of small communities doing it hard in the drought like the towns surrounding Wuruma Dam - Eidsvold & Monto etc.

With tourism a great way to keep the future generation in jobs when the farmers in the area are doing it tough we think that whoever owns the dams water should take a little more responsibility for the whole community by keeping a safe level of water in the dams to sustain not only fish life but the rest of the environment it supports. With Barra bringing in $50 per fish in returns the money soon adds up. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that 20-30 boats a weekend on the dam with 10-20 or so travelling grey nomads etc can quickly pump more than $250 000 in to a struggling community which keeps things ticking over. If you want to know how much fuel travelling boaties put in to a servo just check out Caltex at Benaraby = many boats put in 100+ litres when they rock up and 70ltrs in the car when they leave + food etc. $170+.

For those that don't know many areas in the country can't field football teams for the first time in decades - that many of the younger generation (and older) have left many struggling country regions.

We saw this at Wuruma where you would only meet friendly locals when the dam was known for Yellowbelly and Bass. As soon as Barra hit one Abc radio report it had us there every few weeks. It was the best Impoundment Barra fishing we have enjoyed!!!!

Then we started meeting people from hundreds of km's away fishing what was a great dam. Then we started to see yellow number plates (NSW) in the camp site which was great for the local community putting thousands in to the local towns on every wknd. Then grey nomads started to camp there with word spreading around the dog show scene that wuruma was dog friendly and free with firewood even provided from the local mill!!!

Our point is that should water owners be allowed to drain a dam to a non - fish sustaining point (barra)? Most fish we caught in 2005/2005 were from 60-82cm and many would be over the magic metre mark now. Most are dead now. Yes it's a tough drought and cold winter. But should dams be drained this low?

Surely a small dam like this could be left above 1%. Maybe 5% + etc to allow deeper holes etc and give fish a greater chance to live in summer and winter. It's good to see some high profile anglers getting on to this point in national mags - well done. Think of all the money spend on stocking them now wasted.

Many people we have spoken to in SEQ don't know much about barra or much about the state of our dams, our point might be explained by the pics we have attached. Just thought this was the perfect chat topic to put some suggestions forward as we don't want monduran to be a small creek in the future etc. Well done to everyone who has contributed, you all have passion for fishing and arn't scared to have a say.

See you on a Barra Dam one day. Cheers Lyndon & Kel
    Some great ideas there,seeking barradise,just dont lose sight of the fact that the dams were built to provide farmers and communities with water to keep themselves and there stock and crops alive .
    The primary reason was not to give you a bit of weekend recreational fishing.
    I certainly agree that it's sad to see the fish cop a hammering but the effects of the drought have been devastating throughout regional communities in terms of many familys livelihoods.
    Lets keep it in perspective.

Scott

James join the Stocking group.good idea..Send me a pm glad to join...Why is this not a appropraite place to air my concerns ?....
    Trevor & anyone else interested,

Read this thread Ive been running for a little while, it contains all the info you will need to get in touch with FCFSA regarding donations, enquiries or becoming a financial member -

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=109938

We do appreciate any assistance or positive input to help with the ongoing tasks involved with this awesome bass & barra fishery.

I dont see what you are hoping to achieve by running this debate, I understand you may be disgruntled at barra being in a well known bass fishery however the powers that be have made a decision to permit barra stocking in Lenthalls and it appears that a vast majority of anglers are extremely grateful for an opportunity to travel a relatively short distance from high density populations to target Australia's best loved and highly respected sport fish. Lenthalls is an awesome bass & barra fishery, I hear many anglers & visitors make this comment regularly.

Cheers
    James

Sorry guys dont mean to Hijack the thread but can someone tell me what the size and bag limmits are on stocked barra and Bass

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Chris

Best bet would be to check out the DPI FISHERIES website mate, all teh up to date info is on there.

By the way... Love the signature,hits it all smack bang on the head.

A few fello fishos could read that and take a good hard look at it , and themselves.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Big_unit View Post
    There are some major contributing facts to the minor fish kill at Lake Lenthall -

1) Tree clearing has allowed chilling winds to directly impact the water temps ( this has never happened before )- tree clearing is compulsory to ensure water quality. Also from a fish perspective rotting vegetation would have ensured a much larger fish kill down the track.

2) An abnormally cold winter ( temps of -1 degree celcius )

3) A drought.

Cheers
    James

Positive people have positive outcomes.
    Further evidence of an abnormally cold winter, -3.1 degrees celcius this morning in Maryborough. This was the coldest day ever recorded.

An extract from an ABC report -

It is official - it has been extremely cold in much of Queensland this week.
    The weather bureau says records were broken yesterday with many places reporting very low daytime temperatures.

Mackay reached only 11.8 degrees, Townsville 13.9, Rockhampton 12 degrees, Yeppoon 11, Biloela 12, and Birdsville in the far west - 15 degrees.
    On Wednesday, Boulia in the north-west reached just 9 degrees - smashing a 112-year record.

Mt Isa recorded its lowest temperature in 42 years, only managing 9.4 degrees and Bundaberg broke a 71-year-old record - only getting up to 12.2. Toowoomba only reached 6.7 degrees and Applethorpe a chilly 4.9.
    The bureau says a cloud band over much of the state will mean the cold daytime temperatures will continue over the weekend and early next week.

Lets keep this factual !!!

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Big_unit View Post
    Further evidence of an abnormally cold winter, -3.1 degrees celcius this morning in Maryborough. This was the coldest day ever recorded.

An extract from an ABC report -

It is official - it has been extremely cold in much of Queensland this week.
    The weather bureau says records were broken yesterday with many places reporting very low daytime temperatures.

Mackay reached only 11.8 degrees, Townsville 13.9, Rockhampton 12 degrees, Yeppoon 11, Biloela 12, and Birdsville in the far west - 15 degrees.
    On Wednesday, Boulia in the north-west reached just 9 degrees - smashing a 112-year record.

Mt Isa recorded its lowest temperature in 42 years, only managing 9.4 degrees and Bundaberg broke a 71-year-old record - only getting up to 12.2. Toowoomba only reached 6.7 degrees and Applethorpe a chilly 4.9.
    The bureau says a cloud band over much of the state will mean the cold daytime temperatures will continue over the weekend and early next week.

Lets keep this factual !!!

Cheers
    James

Minus 2 at my place yesterday. I have a request. If anyone has any of this magic "Global Warming" could you please post it to me out at Lowood and I'll tip some into Somerset and Wivenhoe. I'll send the left over up to James to warm up Lenthall's as well.

I woke up this morning and there was an ice cube in my bed. When it thawed out it went "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!!!" and smelt really bad!!!!