Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Folks

The below appears in the Australian Government Gazette dated 4 July 2007. I have read the other post started by Shane and in my opionion, this has to be an insult to every member of the now deregistered "The Fishing Party Qld". Nine members of a political party have made a decision relating to the other 1200 members without consultation. Even if more than 50% of registered members agree with the change there should have been consultation.

Are these people really interested in the average person or so intent on getting into power that they ignore the majority?

Derek

Register of Political Parties

The Australian Electoral Commission (the AEC) has received an application for registration as a political party under the provisions of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 (the Electoral Act).

Name of Party: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party

Abbreviation of party name: AFLP

Name and address of Richard Wayne Knight Bayne

Proposed registered officer: 14 Arena Close

BAYVIEW HEIGHTS QLD 4868

The above application is made by the Secretary and another 9 members of the party and states that the party wishes to receive election funding.

If you believe the party should not be registered because, under the Electoral Act:
    • the party does not meet the eligibility criteria for registration; or

• the party’s application has not been correctly made; or
    • the party’s name and/or abbreviation are prohibited,
    you may lodge an objection. Objections must be received by the Commissioner by 3 August 2007, and must be in writing and include your name, street address, signature and the grounds for your objection. Objections can be sent to the Electoral Commissioner

Australian Electoral Commission
    PO Box 6172
    Kingston, ACT 2604 or
    faxed to(02) 6271 4555 or
    scanned and emailed to fad@aec.gov.au

For more detailed information on objecting to an application for the registration of a political party, please consult the AEC website at the following link, or contact the AEC by fax or email as above or by phone on 02 6271 4667.

Objections are sent to the applicants for comment before any decision is made on the registration.

Paul Dacey
    Deputy Electoral Commissioner
    26 June 2007

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

I'd be interested to see if the secretary of the AFLP or one of those nine members make a reply in this thread.

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Wow Derek... now tell us what you really think

Jokes aside... and I'm not one of the nine so I cant speak on behalf of anyone but me... but my reaction was that it is a good thing. It has been the topic of discussion at both executive and at Branch levels for quite a while. Most members (that I heard talk about it) seemed to agree that a change was a good thing.

I dont think that members were asked for input into the name chosen and I dont even think that would be appropriate given our level of democracy is a representative democracy - which means we choose people (representatives) to make informed decisions for us.

By way of example (pre GST) most people agreed that out taxation system needed reform but I dont personally know of any individual who was called by the Govt and asked what type of reform they wanted... the Govt made the decision on our behalf, implemented the GST and then gave us the opportunity to approve or disapprove of that level of performance by holding elections.

Thats the level of democracy we have here and it means that sometimes decisions are made which everyone may not be happy with - at the end of the day our system enables us to hold the decision makers accountable at the election level. If members aren't happy about the level of consultation, then they have their constitutional right to elect or reelect an executive they will approve of.

Ummm yeh... so what was I saying? Oh yes... I think there was some grass roots approval for some kind of name change reform - as evidenced even by the small number of replies to Shanes original thread... but the actual name was never discussed... and really didnt need to be.

It is an important event tho to capture parts of the market who are suffering with drops in participation rates in fishing like 4wd camping etc. GBRMPA type closures have a ripple effect through many associated industries and this is part of the market I feel they are trying to attract and I think it is a good thing... but thats just my opinion.

Cheers,

Adam

I am a member of TFPQ although not one of the 9 referred to by the Australian Electoral Commission.

Whilst not real happy about the lack of communication from TFPQ to it's members, I personally fully agree with the name change.

Adam, I have no hesitation in endorsing your above post.

Cheers - Lou
    Last edited by luigi; 15-07-2007 at 09:05 PM.
    Timber lures - just bung 'em in the water mate & hang on !!!

I got no issue with it at all. Very good move.

Derek - are u a member now ? I thought you said you would not join ?

Spot on Greg! I'm a member and I think it is good move, not an insult.
    Tim

Derek, elected office bearers are there to make decisions.

They made a decision.

From which I can see & from other comments here & elsewhere, it's mostly a positive one.

If you don't like it, get yourself into one of the decision making positions & have your say. If not, stop sooking & shit stirring because they didn't ring you to gain your personal approval.

I am not a member of any political party let alone this one. Have had some very healthy discussion with KC about that.

Office bearers were elected by TFPQ and not AFLP. This is not about an internal policy decision, and regardless of whether it was a good one or not, this is something that affects all members and should not have been done in secrecy.

Derek

Just to put this one to bed.

Quoted is section 3.6 of our party constitution

"Emergency policy decisions can be made by the Executive. Any such decision shall be submitted for ratification by special meeting within two months. The Executive shall not make any emergency policy decision which contradicts any policy of the Party already approved by a ballot of members"

Further is a section of the email notification sent to all members who we have on our data base

"There will be a full newsletter sent out soon after our registration issues are formalized and this will include an invitation to an extraordinary general meeting to vote on your boards recommendations, including validation of the name change and an explanation of the technical requirements of the Federal registration process".

With respect Derek, you are out of order with your post.

There is a lot to play out yet in regards the federal registration and party members will be privy to all information. There is no hidden agenda here.

KC

Thanks for the information KC.

This "emergency decision" to rename TFPQ has already been made and the registration of a new party has been submitted for registration and by all accounts should go through.

After the registration goes through and you have your special meeting. What will occur if the majority of members reject the "emergency decision".

Cheers

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post

After the registration goes through and you have your special meeting. What will occur if the majority of members reject the "emergency decision".

Cheers

Derek
    I cant speak for the executive - but if the resolution doesnt 'Go through" then that is ostensibly a vote of no confidence in the current executive. But personally given the groundswell of support for the move, I cant see it happening. Just my opinion.

Adam

Adam basically has it right. If membership rejects the proposal then the federal registeration would be cancelled and there would be no AFLP. This would also represent a rejection of the executive and its recomendations but when the process and reasons are explained there will be a clear understanding of the background issues and legislative process which has prompted this change.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Adam basically has it right. If membership rejects the proposal then the federal registeration would be cancelled and there would be no AFLP. This would also represent a rejection of the executive and its recomendations but when the process and reasons are explained there will be a clear understanding of the background issues and legislative process which has prompted this change.

KC
    Point taken. Lets let it be for now and see what happens.

Derek

What will happen to TFPQ at state level? Can the same executive members effectively, legally and morally run both a state and federal political parties? The Constitution KC quotes from is a State Constitution - how can a Federal Party be subordinate to a State Party as the new party will be a "TFPQ brand"? How does changing the name of a State registered party equate to Federal Registration?

Quoted is section 3.6 of our party constitution

"Emergency policy decisions can be made by the Executive. Any such decision shall be submitted for ratification by special meeting within two months. The Executive shall not make any emergency policy decision which contradicts any policy of the Party already approved by a ballot of members"

I do not understand how Party Identity can be deemed to be Policy as policy is more to do with actions and rules which govern the party as opposed to who the Party is.

If the decision to adopt this "Emergency Policy" by the Executive was made previous to 2 months ago, then the Executive are already operating outside the Constitution quoted by KC above. The AEC are not known for being speedy, so at least part of the 2 months (if not all of it) must have elapsed since the decision was made to allow for applications to be completed and lodged.

Like so many others, the process is creating more questions than answers for me at the moment.

Regards Shane Boese
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

Oh dear I didnt pick up on that ....... the AFLP is to be a Federal Political Party ............ will they now be in opposition to the Federally registered Fishing Party.

I'm with you Shane ........... more answers required.

Derek