Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

In answer to Greg's question about when did Shane throw his hat in the ring with NSW below is an email from Bob Smith from December 2006 and my reply.

Pretty self explanitory really

KC

FROm TFP NSW 29th December

Dear Kevin

Even though our communications of recent have been scant (outside recent communications in relation to the Federal re-registration process), I have watched the progress of the Queensland Branch with interest by way of Chat Boards and media releases.

Of particular interest was the impact and support the Candidate for Cleveland was able to achieve in a very short time during the Queensland State Election. I was very surprised to read in your recent post on Ausfish, followed by a reply from Shane Boese, that he (along with other members of the Brisbane South committee) had resigned their positions within The Fishing Party (Qld).

Judging from what I have read of Shane Boese, I believe that he could continue to be a valuable asset to The Fishing Party, and it is my intention to contact him directly. If those communications prove favourable, it is my intention to invite him into the Federal fold.

It is not my intention to “poach” valuable personnel from Queensland, so I just wish to confirm that Shane is no longer representing TFPQ before I make personal contact.

Regards,

Bob Smith

My Reply

Thanks Robert,

Lets continue to work through this and see what comes of it.

Shane Boese is still a member of TFPQ but not an office bearer. As to you inviting him to join at a federal level this will be determined by the make-up of the federal constitution but it would be my expectation that each state branch would nominate its representatives to a federal executive and they would not be invitees of another state branch. As at 27th December there is no federal party, just 2 state registered parties and 1 unregistered party.

Clearly Shane did some very good work in regards profiling in Brisbane but also has some issues with the Qld structure which he is opposed to. Principle in terms of our candidate selection process, be it state or federal representation. The Cleveland result was much the same as was posted across the 4 seats contested, so it would appear to be a party based result rather than a personal following issue. 10.4% in Barron River was our best result. Shane's resignation, along with his friend Mitch has been unfortunate but the new chair of the Brisbane branch is moving forward and we expect continued growth in this area. Ultimately Shane provided the party with an ultimatum, to the effect, if I don't get the outcome I want, I will resign. Quiet frankly, the only way to deal with this type of threat is to accept the resignation and move on. This is just common business sense.

I am surprised by your comments about future contact with Shane as I am of the understanding that you already in contact, but accept that you did not initiate this. It would not be our intention to allow the nomination or invitation of any member of the Qld party to a federal executive, which does not even yet exist, without this appointment being made by the Qld branch. If Shane resigns his membership of the Qld branch and moves to NSW then that would not be an issue, however a member is a member in the state in which they are enrolled to vote. Once again I would look to the current Labor Party model as a guide for the ultimate structure of the federal and state parties.

Regards

Kevin Collins
    Chairman
    The Fishing Party (Qld)

Re: Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (AFLP) - Application For Registration

So is it invitation only to join at a federal level or be on the federal executive ?

Anyone found a copy of that constitution or previous AGM minutes yet ?
    Last edited by Dicko; 08-08-2007 at 04:58 PM.

My primary interest is to see a senate candidate for Qld in the next federal election that will pursue the interests of recreational fishers. I'm one those naive no nothing about politics voters, but I do have one vote, I also handed out how to vote cards at the last state election and maybe made a difference. The only potential candidate that I'm familiar with in Qld is Shane Boese. I believe he is out for the best result for all fishers, he does has a vested interest and that aids his commitment, he has an established and immediately recognisable profile and he has ambition, and that's what I want in a political candidate.
    If Shane was to run as a TFP candidate I'd put my hand up to help him and all fishers again.

regards
    Steve, I fish and I vote.

Quote Originally Posted by gelsec View Post
    My primary interest is to see a senate candidate for Qld in the next federal election that will pursue the interests of recreational fishers. I'm one those naive no nothing about politics voters, but I do have one vote, I also handed out how to vote cards at the last state election and maybe made a difference. The only potential candidate that I'm familiar with in Qld is Shane Boese. I believe he is out for the best result for all fishers, he does has a vested interest and that aids his commitment, he has an established and immediately recognisable profile and he has ambition, and that's what I want in a political candidate.
    If Shane was to run as a TFP candidate I'd put my hand up to help him and all fishers again.

regards
    Steve, I fish and I vote.
    that can also be perceived as a conflict of interest.
    I would not vote for any single issue party in any election.

So is there nobody else that would have a high profile that could also assist the party in QLD for the next election? I find that hard to believe. There are some people here with large recognisable standings in various industries who are passionate fisho's and boaties that probably would have participated in some respects but wouldn't now. Why, well its not hard to see why someone would not want to be involved in a group of people looking at themselves first before the cause. That's why. If a democratic process was in place nationally with cohesion and direction channelling all energies for the good of the party then you would be surprised who would assist.

This idea of "they are showing whos boss and heading to Canberra" just shows the comedic nature of all this. Realistically, even if they got to Canberra, would they have the abilities and mettle to do deals for the benefit of the many, or "show em whos boss" and become the laughing stock of the senate???
    Cheers,
    Chris

definitely the laughing stock..no doubt about that..but no one will have to worry about that cos they won't get elected with the situation as it is at present.

This is so typical of fisherman in this country. We argue over fishing spots, we argue of gear (shimano v daiwa), etc etc. Us fishermen just love to argue. The greens don't argue anywhere near what we do. I have 3 friends who are ardent greens supporters and they follow their candidates religiously (blindly). I appreciate that fishos think for themselves however we will eventually have to put aside our differences and consolidate if we ever want to win this fight. I don't know all the backroom goings on that happened within the "TFP" and quite frankly don't care. Changing the name of the party to include more people is a good thing in my opinion, However the 1st priority should be to stop the tidal wave of the greens.

Craftycarp - there in lies the nirvana which with the current tide looks like won't ever eventuate. I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly but until the correct democratic workings for party elections from a federal level comes into play, there will be no reconciliation. It just can't be one rule for me, another for you.
    Cheers,
    Chris

hi all,
    very sad state of affair
    if tfp (nsw) are so active and politically strong why has there been alot of closures along the NSW coast?
    how vocal and active have they been?

kc was good enough to outline the achievements of tfpq,
    would bob smith be able to outline what achievements they have made?
    they may be many and significant i don't know
    what i do know is that this shit fight has destroyed any ground we were making.
    RIP rec fishing in QLD as we know it
    cheers
    dazza

Any more news on this debacle. Johnny Howard is expected to call the election within five weeks.

Derek

Hi Derek, I think "debacle" might be a strong word for this "discussion".

When I was helping out with campaigning and then handing out how-to-vote cards at the last Q state election I came across very few Ausfish members or readers, only a handful out of a hundred on average.

imo votes will be won with advertorials and exposure on a mix of media outlets, and of course at the polling booth. Not every Australian fisherperson who votes logs on to this site.
    On election day where do you as a fisher cast your vote, for a candidate who"ll fight to support your rights, or a generic party machine that only wants power to sustain their individual positions within that party ? and I'm not referring to TFP here rather the the "major" parties.

Well if it isn't sorted out in the next few weeks there wont be TFP or AFLP to vote for

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    Any more news on this debacle.

Derek
    Been away for a few days & with nothing in my email or on here I pulled his number off the website & gave him a ring to remind him of the requests for the constitution & ask if he will be addressing the concerns raised here.

We had good old yack, in which I declared my interest from here, and my full name and contact number. I believe this to be an accurate record of the conversation.

I get the impression he would like to sweep all this under the carpet & refer to it as an internal QLD issue rather than an accountability session of how the federal organisation is run.

He is unable to send a copy of the minutes of last years or any previous AGM as they are on tape & not in a documented format yet.

There are a few versions of the constitution. He was unwilling to send the current one & answered by saying Kevin Collins already has a copy so there is no need to send any more copies out. So rather than the current version he has opted to send me a copy of a new version which he hopes to have ratified at the next AGM in November.

He was concerned that I would make it public. I reminded him that they are not private documents, & a quick google search will find the constitution of just about any other political party or organisation out there, including the QLD document on his very own web site.

Even after our conversation, I am still unclear as to how the present federal body operates or was elected / appointed. Apparently I am the only one who has complained or asked for this type of info since the party's inception in 2000.

Bob was clear that he didn't like the TFPQ using 'his' members as the basis for a name change and federal registration. As mentioned before, technically he is right. I also got the impression he is not interested or has the vision of letting the current party from his grasp to a democratic style unit, or making it easy for QLD to go it alone. Pretty well a stalemate.

I was uninspired by the whole conversation.

Congrats to KC & the gang for persisting for so long.

OK... VERY INTERESTING!!!

I too have been absent for a few days - and not much movement - I would have thought that Bob may have responded with their achievements by now. But Dicko has cleared all that up – Bob is choosing to hide and hope it all blows over… and he’s probably right.

I have just spent some time going through the AEC website and have uncovered a few interesting points re TFP's objection.. and MAY have a solution for TFPQ/AFLP.

TFP has obviously caught TFPQ on a technicality. However under the ACT , there is a provision for AFLP to make a variation to the application (given certain circumstances). The problem is of course that if the application proceeded - then due to the variation, it is deemed to be a new application and the time limits and waiting etc go on... and we are so close to an election being called now - we probably dont have the time to hear TFP's newest round of objections etc.

Anyway the changes KC needs to make arent major (well they are major - but do-able) and he has it within his power to make them - it's just a massive headache in terms of paperwork... although - it could be done relatively quickly. They may need a little help from us though - depending on if they want to go down the route.

Oh by the way - I did download a copy of TFP's "Draft" constitution from off their website - well its not really TFP's constitution - its TFPQs constitution - except TFP has changed all the TFPQ stuff out and replaced it with TFP and federal wording - other than that it almost reads word for word. On the surface of it - it appears that TFP want to show that they have "elected officials" this from "their constitution":

2.1.1TFP National Executive shall have a minimum of four (4) executive positions, being Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer elected by majority vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).

However from what Dicko says - maybe thats not entirely true - seems that Bob wants to retain power.

IDEA: Maybe TFPQ should sue TFP for constitution plagerism??

Anyway - the clock is ticking... hope we get some resolution soon - although sorry to say once stabbed in the back, I dont think I can bring myself to vote for Bob and his goons.... chock me up for another donald duck... although I did note a "cheaper petrol party" is trying to get up...

Cheers,

Adam

And the silence is deafening.