Thread: Turbo Diesel Hilux mods?

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Turbo Diesel Hilux mods?

I've got an '02 Hilux Turbo Diesel and am considering whether it is worthwhile trying to get more power out of it.

Interested to hear of any experiences you guys have had. Is there anything worth doing such as exhaust/chip etc without sacrificing engine life?

steve

Re: Turbo Diesel Hilux mods?

An intercooler,oil cooler,extractor's better exhaust where do you stop and how much $$$$$ is to much? I suppose you have driven the newer lux's with intercooler pretty impresive and they can be modded to go even better than standard.Dan........

Steve, Ive got an '05 TD with intercooler. I've added a Diesel Power chip (imported from Germany by a Gold Coast business) and a 2.75 inch Beaudesert exhaust. Made an amazing difference.

If it works, this is a dyno on before and after the chip (but before exhaust).
    Couple of other pics of my rig - just because I could

Hi Norm,
    So what does a power chip do in a diesel?
    Change the timing and duration of the injection I am guessing.
    Does it use significantly more fuel and about how much did the exhaust cost you?

Engine Management Chips

Sometimes called "piggy-back" chips, there are several manufacturers of these chips on the market. They are generally suitable for the range of modern injected diesel and petrol vehicles, although in a 4WD sense these are mainly applicable to diesel engines.

Manufacturers by nature set their vehicles up for a "standard" set of operating conditions. For example, all settings are optimised for a throttle opening of say 2100 RPM. The ECU (Electronic Control Unit) is programmed with those settings to cover the fuel air mixture, timing and other characteristics. Chip manufacturers claim that they calibrate their chips right throughout the rev range ensuring optimum performance across the entire operating range of the engine. They are also able to enhance the settings allowing higher fuel/air flow to produce a higher power output from the engine. The chip works "in line" with the engine to ECU communications and re-maps the instructions the ECU sends to the engine as it operates.

Chip manufacturers typically claim a 15 to 30% increase in power and torque. The units are supplied with appropriate connectors to plug the unit into the ECU and also to connect the engine to ECU cable to the chip. Fitting is simple. In use the chip is very impressive. There is a much better engine response, both off boost and on boost and the engine is far more supple and flexible, pulling strongly right throughout the rev range, due to the additional torque. Fuel economy is equal or better than without the chip, depending on how you drive and use all the additional power. Overall, a very good result for an outlay of around $1500. One benefit is the easy removal, if the unit fails or if you sell the vehicle, you can return it to the original specifications quickly and easily.

SeaHunt, this is a cut and paste from ExploreOz (a great site by the way)
    http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tech...rformance.aspx

Hope, by acknowledging where it is from, I am not doing anything wrong.
    From my experience, what they say is right.

As the article says, the claim is that fuel economy is equal to or better than before. Apart from any 'technical' reasons, your power is available at lower revs. You will change gears much less. Hills that I previously took in third are a breeze in 4th now. After the mods, we did a trip to NT for a fishing trip. Carried a very big load and towed the camper trailer. It was a much easier trip after the mods and fuel economy was about the same as on previous trips.

Exhaust was just over $1,000 ($1050 I think) fitted. Chip was $990 from memory. So for about $2,000 I have a much better vehicle for the the task we use it for, which is long distance touring with heavy load and towing.

Norm C

Thats a nice looking rig Norm C. I think off memory they have about 87kw or something close to that in standard form. Did you intercooler it yourself? I think D-Tronic chips claim the same as what you acheived with just the chip. But not sure if they really do or not! How much do you think you have now with the exhaust??
    BD

BD, my Hilux is the new model with D4D motor. I's quoted power at the motor is 120 KW I think. They never quote power at the rear axle, but way less than at the motor. Under dyno, it measured about 90KW peak before chip and 109KW after.
    Don't know (have not done dyno), but I'm guessing the exhaust might have added 8 to 10 KW more. More importantly, I think it has bought the peak power down a bit further in the rev range so is more usable.