Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a tinnie

Help with a tinnie

Gd'ay all;
    Just joined the group, still trying to get the feel of the site and the forums. I'm 68 and a bit the worse for wear and tear which restricts me in what I can now do. I've got no bitch about that, life has been a blast, I'm now trying to work out what I can still do with whatever I have left. There are a few bits and pieces missing and other parts very different to their original shapes and functions.
    I now live in Caloundra and I want to get back into fishing, something I had a great passion for a long time ago. I'm restricted to safer waters such as the Pumicestone Passage, lakes, rivers, creeks and the like. I'm looking at buying a small tinnie around the 12ft mark, just for fishing, and need to know if a six hp/ 4 stroke outboard would be enough for the simple purposes that I have in mind. It would be rare that there would be more than two in the boat, if ever, and I gave up hurrying a long time ago.
    As stated above, things don't work as well as they used to so ease of loading/ unloading, a stable platform to fish from and a reliable unit would be essential. Any suggestions would be most sincerely appreciated as I know nothing about boats or motors and really don't know where to start looking. I would like to stay below about the $6,000 mark, if possible.
    Cheers and thanks
    rapidred1

Re: Help with a tinnie

Mate you should proberbly be looking at a v nose punt of some sort maybe quintrex explorer 385 (13ft) or similar for reasonable stability as the vee hull's in that size are a little unstable for moving around.The 6hp 4 stroke would push you around but maybe a 15hp would be better but also more expensive all the o/board manufacturer's make this size in four stroke and any of them would be a good little engine just get the best price.$6,000 maybe streching it a bit but do some shopping and see what you come up with then decide.Cheer's Dan...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Mate you should proberbly be looking at a v nose punt of some sort maybe quintrex explorer 385 (13ft) or similar for reasonable stability as the vee hull's in that size are a little unstable for moving around.The 6hp 4 stroke would push you around but maybe a 15hp would be better but also more expensive all the o/board manufacturer's make this size in four stroke and any of them would be a good little engine just get the best price.$6,000 maybe streching it a bit but do some shopping and see what you come up with then decide.Cheer's Dan...
    Dan
    Thanks for taking the time, deeply appreciated. I have been looking at your suggestion and downloading info on the net about the Quintrex 385 Explorer after your suggestion, it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    Much appreciated
    rapided1

I always reckon you only need power if your in a hurry...6hp will take you around at a steady pace sure....but if you out there to relax it will be ok...
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Hi Rapidred1,

The guys are quite right in what you need and I would be looking around for a good second hand boat and motor for the 6k mark. You will get something someone else has modded without the costs to you.

I grew up with a 6hp evinrude and it did everything no troubles, however I would suggest a 9.8hp over a 6 just for the odd chance you may have something heavy on board or a 3rd person or maybe cop a wave over the side from some dimwit roaring past. A 6 will have quite a lot of problem getting to the plane if the boat is weighed down for whatever reason and a 9.8 will do it quite easily. The difference in weight of the motors would be negligible if you are trailering it.

Jack.

[quote=tunaticer;652142]Hi Rapidred1,

The guys are quite right in what you need and I would be looking around for a good second hand boat and motor for the 6k mark. You will get something someone else has modded without the costs to you.

I grew up with a 6hp evinrude and it did everything no troubles, however I would suggest a 9.8hp over a 6 just for the odd chance you may have something heavy on board or a 3rd person or maybe cop a wave over the side from some dimwit roaring past. A 6 will have quite a lot of problem getting to the plane if the boat is weighed down for whatever reason and a 9.8 will do it quite easily. The difference in weight of the motors would be negligible if you are trailering it.

Jack.[/quote

Thanks for your time and advice, genuinely appreciated.
    rapidred1

A V-nose punt would suit you for fishing the passage as it would be a stable rig to fish from. I would be inclined to test one to make sure you are happy with the way it rides, but this may not be a problem as you will only be putting along and at this speed ride would be quite ok. If you were to be doing much more than 6 knots I would suggest a traditional deep V tinny to cut through the Passage chop and give a smoother ride.
    From what you stated you have a few limitations and for this reason I would suggest you get a rig with electric start and power tilt and trim althought these may only be available in higher hp rated engines. Even so it will only go as fast as you open the throttle and a bonus may be you get to have a steering wheel on a side console to turn the thing to make life easy.

Summing up if you could get a v-nose tinny with side console and 20-30 hp engine with electric start and power tilt and trim on the second hand market for up to $6000 it would be a good choice.

Ps: I have a 11 foot traditional tinny with a 9.9 aon the back and it propels me at 20knots full throttle up and down the Passage every weekend. If you would like to come for a ride to see how a small tinny would suit you PM me and we can orginse a time.

Edit; what I said above may be a bit out of your price range, I did however find this rig and it's quite a neat looking package. Click on this link. http://http://www.tradingpost.com.au..._1_subs_Power__
    Last edited by kind_cir; 15-07-2007 at 06:43 PM.

pity you cant go another $2K. Pinhead has a quality Ally Craft for sale in the for sale section. Brilliant boat for $8 1/2K

Mike

I recently upgraded my boat and traded in my old 3.80m Horizon heavy duty tinnie with a 15hp four stroke Honda.

It was a great reliable boat for around the bay islands and up at Monduran where it caught me some barra! It has a small Humminbird Piranha sounder, all safety gear, a bimini and a carpeted floor between the two bench seats. All in all a great 'first' boat for me.

The dealer has it for sale at $5,750 but I'm sure you could talk him down as he gave me less than this for a trade! Located in bayside Brisbane.

PM me if you want more details or the dealers info.

Regs

Pete

Electric start and power trim/tilt should definitely be up there in the list of priorities, will make life much easier.

G/day mate welcome to the site , the passage is full top spots to fish you should do well.......BOB

Well matey welcome aboard Ausfish.

Have had a couple of knee replacements and now a back op. But reckon over the years with eight odd boats behind me. That the one I have now seems to be the best.

Remember the weight of boat, maybe you are launching by yourself. type of trailer and floor and side height.

Taking all those things in consideration I bought a Quintrex Traveller with floors (Bought out as a Bass Buster) can walk down the outside of boat, place bum in swivel seat and swing legs aboard. Great also weight wise.

Had two swivel seats and 15 hp Yamaha, great when the grandkids drop in.

Weight of motor is only 36 kgs. You have to be set up for that odd time when the kids drop in.

Enjoy your fishing, lots of things will help, but take your time and have a good look around and make sure that in five years you can still use what you purchase.

Good Fishing

Trevor

Boat I mentioned in earlier post has been sold. New owner will be happy!

Pete

Hi Rapidred,
    Have you found a suitable boat yet?, I have a 3.4m Stacer, 2006 5hp 4stroke Honda, Fuel tank, trailer, New Bimini, New fishfinder (never been used), life jackets, Oars, anchor etc.
    The whole unit is ready for use, Both trailer and boat are registered and in excellent condition. I have used it only once medical reason for selling, owes me $3400 reasonable offer above $2600 acceptable.
    Kind regards,
    DeeCee3

my first boat was a 3m with a 6hp johnson. It had enough power to plane with 2 people on board. Not sure what size the estart/power tilt starts at, but it would be worth investigating.