Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share Catch Or Each For Their Own

Re: Share Catch Or Each For Their Own

Interesting point,

in my boat all fish go towards the boat limit (bag limit x number of anglers in the boat). The exception is comp fishing days where each angler keeps his own tally & stops when a bag limit is reached,
    we had a day recently where Charlie couldn't stop catching good pearlies, where Ida & I struggled to catch one.
    It was heartbreaking to watch him throw back 1.5-2kg pearlies that on another day we would have taken home, but thats how it is on a comp day.

As for giving fish to another boat at sea......if this was done BEFORE the bag limit was exceeded, & you went back to get a couple more..........it wouldn't be as bad as catching too many & giving them away before you came home.

It's a sticky question really, I think I would have just kept my limit & let them get their own, as mentioned before, perhaps a bit of friendly advice instead?

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by MONOSTRETCHO View Post
    HI all just wanting your opinion on a scenario that happened to me
    I went fishing with a mate out on the bay the snapper were biting their heads of we caught over 40 legal size squireish snapper up to 68cm there was another boat fishing close to us and the fallas on that boat didnt have as much luck so when we reached our bag limit of 10 snapper we gave 6 legal size fish to the fellas in the ather boat who were down on luck and didn`t have any fish.
    We then continued fishing and once our bag limit was reached we continued to release the rest of our catch until we called it a day.
    I have copped a little bit of a ribbing for doing that

so what do you think was it the wrong thing to do helping out some fellow fisherman down on luck ?

or would you consider doing the same ?

It is pretty hard sometimes when you see other boats blitzing it around you and your not getting a bite .Thats my opinion anyway .

Its not like this happens all the time it was a once of

I do respect bag limits but is it really any different to 2 blokes going fishing and one catches all the fish and still taking the bag limit for 2 anglers witch happens all the time.

let me know what you think guys

cheers Pete

I don't think anyone is throwing knives Webby as Pete asked for peoples opinions. If I've offended anyone by my post I apologise. It wasn't intended, just an opinion.

Wags

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post

If I've offended anyone by my post I apologise. It wasn't intended, just an opinion.

Wags
    Yeah Wags.............it seems that as of late, it's getting harder for some to have one, without coming in for a bagging. It's a bugger when you feel that you have to apologise for a genuine response.

Hope things settle down soon.

kev

Top Tips:

Hospital patients. Arrive for your appointment two hours after the assigned arrival time. That way, you will only have to wait an hour for your doctor to see you

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

[quote=kingtin;652163]Yeah Wags.............it seems that as of late, it's getting harder for some to have one, without coming in for a bagging. It's a bugger when you feel that you have to apologise for a genuine response.

kev

A bit of biffo is always good for the soul,kev.Plus it's far more interesting when people aren't afraid to voice an opinion.

As the bloke who may have prompted monostretcho to start this thread I am glad that its got people thinking and there have been a wide range of responses.
    My initial comments in mono's original windy options were obviously MY opinion and I will stand by them( although mono sounds like a nice guy for his actions, I just happen not to agree with them.But big deal!)
    Geez what a boring forum it would be if nobody ever disagreed .

Scott
    Last edited by disorderly; 14-07-2007 at 08:29 PM.

[quote=disorderly;652179]
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Yeah Wags.............it seems that as of late, it's getting harder for some to have one, without coming in for a bagging. It's a bugger when you feel that you have to apologise for a genuine response.

kev
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    A bit of biffo is always good for the soul,kev.Plus it's far more interesting when people aren't afraid to voice an opinion.

As the bloke who may have prompted monostretcho to start this thread I am glad that its got people thinking and there have been a wide range of responses.
    My initial comments in mono's original windy options were obviously MY opinion and I will stand by them( although mono sounds like a nice guy for his actions, I just happen not to agree with them.But big deal!)
    Geez what a boring forum it would be if nobody ever disagreed .

Scott
    Scott, my response wasn't aimed at you, or indeed anyone in particular. I hadn't seen what prompted the thread but that isn't surprising seeing as the title to the thread wasn't very specific as one poster pointed out.

On browsing the original thread to which you refer, and seeing this " I WAS DISAPIONTED WITH HAVING NO REPLY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYODY I ENDED UP GOING TO THE BAY AND BAGGING OUT ON SNAPPER "

I'm surprised it didn't elicit more severe response ........."shouting"..........and an angry emoticon because nobody responded, and then a brag about bagging out........almost like a school yard "nyer nyer nah nyer ner"

Now the net is a very difficult medium, and it is easy to read between the lines and see what isn't intended. Likewise, it is easy to not read between the lines and still miss the intent. It is also very easy to not represent ones self properly............and on and on we go. Body language is all important in communication and yet we don't have that luxury, all we have is emoticons where even a grin can be interpreted as taking the pis* when it is intended as a chuckle at ones self.

Personally, I can't see anything wrong with your response although others took umbrage. You expressed an opinion in a civil manner and that is your right.

Then this response after a genuine response from Mike who obviously read the post in a similar fashion to me.

"Marlin Mike , ive allready got plenty of friends and have heaps of hanger onerers trying to get a trip on my boat with me but thanks for the advise."

Another "nyer nyer nah nyer ner" married to sarcasm.

And yet those who responded seem to have got more stick, than the "antagonist" who elicited those responses.

It's a funny old world ain't it?

As I said, I hope it cools down soon.

Just as for those who say they have stopped posting reports because they fear the responses, I sincerely hope that the "traffic" here doesn't die because people who feel that they have a genuine grievance, or who disagree with another poster, fear to post because of the issues that have been raised recently.

We are all entitled to an opinion and we are all entitled to express that opinion. If we expect anything less then we become a "sterile" environment. As long as those opinions are expressed with genuine honesty and civility, and do not diminish any other person, then I really do not see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, things have got out of hand at times, and some posters have responded by pushing their own agendas, but that would happen IRL anyway, and with the anonymity of the net, if you want to use the medium, then I think you have to accept that this goes with the territory...........sad, but true. Impose some kind of censorship, other than what we already have, and we're doomed.

What's the saying. "I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death, you're right to say it", or something like that. .............Just be civil when you say it, that's the most we can expect.

OH! One more thing. Apart from those who long term members will recognise as pushing their agendas (and they are long term members also), I think we should all bear in mind that the vast majority of "antagonistic" posts are from relative newcomers. It may well be that there are newbies who haven't got a "feel" for this environment yet, but it may well also be that amongst those so-called "newbies" are those who stir deliberately.

kev

Top Tips:

Motorists. Always have a hot pie in your hands in heavy traffic. Each time the traffic grinds to a halt, just reach for the pie. The instant you place it to your lips the traffic begins to move. This works especially well with the molten apple turnovers from KFC

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Haven't read all the posts and it would seem to be a matter of interpretion of the laws.
    First impreesion I had as I started to read through was "boat catch" limit. But the more I thought it's a bit like crab pots - one person on board - four pots; 2 persons on board eight pots and so on with added proviso of being over 15 years I believe.
    Tough play. IMO a boat (2,3,4,5) people keep what they need) but not sure about giving to neighbour on water.
    Cheers
    pete

Kev,

The reason I quoted you was because I agree that there is a certain amount of peril in posting ones opinion.

Surely we all realize that if you post something on such a public forum as the net than it's obviously going to come under some scrutiny.
    If we believe in what we are saying then it really shouldn't be a problem that others have different opinions than ours .
    In fact healthy,constructive debate should be welcomed.

Just wish i had such as healthy gift of the gab as you, kev
    It might save some of my posts from being misunderstood or taken out of context

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Kev,

The reason I quoted you was because I agree that there is a certain amount of peril in posting ones opinion.

Surely we all realize that if you post something on such a public forum as the net than it's obviously going to come under some scrutiny.
    If we believe in what we are saying then it really shouldn't be a problem that others have different opinions than ours .
    In fact healthy,constructive debate should be welcomed.

Just wish i had such as healthy gift of the gab as you, kev

Scott
    You're not doing so bad Scott, you've just said in 5 lines what it took me over 30 to say

As for the peril in posting one's opinion, at my posting rate I'm uninsurable.........I must be in permanent danger

kev

Top Tips:

Sport newsreaders. Save time by not reporting on the progress of Mark Phillipousus in tennis tournaments. I have yet to meet any member of the public who likes the miserable sod.

Top Tip afterthought:

Sports newsreaders. Actually, on second thoughts, could you report on Mark Phillipousus when he gets knocked out of a tournament, as this cheers me up immensely, as it does most people I know.
    Last edited by kingtin; 15-07-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Top Tip Afterthought

Hey Webby ! it seems your right you do have to watch what you say around here and thanks for that spot mate it was an awesome day lets catch up soon maybe for a game fishing trip ( hint , hint ).
    Thanks for the replies everybody i`ll be sure to take that all on board and next time i think i will be releasing all my excess fish but depending where im fishing possibly with a 12/0 through its back
    Cheers Peter
    Last edited by 1lastcast; 16-07-2007 at 09:26 AM.

We don't go out fishing all that much these days due to work and when we do it's not that often we make our bag limit, let alone get a feed sometimes.
    As for bag limit i.e. 4 persons and we are targeting snapper, bag limit reached, then shared equally amongst the 4. We all share the cost so we all share the fish.
    There is no prize in my boat for the biggest fish nor for who bags out the quickest.
    I haven't given any fish to another boat nor have i recieved any from another boat however i might contact a land lover friend and give them one or two when back at the ramp from the catch, i think that's what friends are for.
    As for coments on postings, in my opinion some of the posts that have been put up here in the last few months are really use your common sense and you will find the answer but this is a free site to those who use it so post what you want. It is your choice.
    Getting back to the original point made, if i bag out i go home or look for another species. You can only eat so much and fish has a very short freezer life.
    Rave, rave rave, i am getting sick of listening to myself.

Graeme

Kev , i was going to let it rest but i just cant help it , so here you go !
    you referred to me as an (antagonist ) and as a ( so called newbie) well i have been talking for 35 years and guess what voicing my opinion is nothing new to me its quite simple you piss me of i will let you have it , but if you ask me for help i am only to happy to ablidge , thier is probably half the population that would do the same

my first thread was to try to get help the same as i have offered to many on this site in the past and i got no response. You say i was not very specific but hundreds of people viewed it.
    Is it that some of you ( long term members ) see us so called ( newbies ) and come in for the kill ? LOOKING FOR FAULTS ! are we not equal to you
    One funny thing kev my first thread still did not get one bit of advise on ( windy fishing options ) , not one single spot out of the wind i dont see whats unclear about that i wasnt looking for a root. but if i get smart arse replies i will show the same respect back. If this site is about fisherman helping fisherman lets do that and cut out all the shit .
    anyway ive said my piece peter
    P.S im just heading back to the scoolyard !! i had to throw that in because im such a child

Kev , i was going to let it rest but i just cant help it , so here you go !
    you referred to me as an (antagonist ) and as a ( so called newbie)
    Mate, an "antagonist" can be defined as: somebody or something opposing or in conflict with another. It is not a derisory word (as I used it) but a mere statement of fact. There was conflict in the thread and IMHO, you provoked it when you responded in upper case and used an angry emoticon simply because you didn't get a response. You "shouted" and, via the use of an emoticon, expressed anger. If that is not antagonistic, then I don't know what is.

Again, the reference to you as a "newbie" is a mere statement of fact and I do not employ the word to indicate anything derisory, merely to state fact.

You say i was not very specific but hundreds of people viewed it.
    There seems to be a misunderstanding here. What was meant was that the title of the thread wasn't specific ie "Windy Fishing Options". I thought the post itself was fairly specific but what I was referring to in this regard was another poster's explanation as to why you may not have got a response. It was a weekend, when folk are doing their own thing and they will simply skip over a thread (when they are pushed for time) that doesn't immediately grab their attention.

Is it that some of you ( long term members ) see us so called ( newbies ) and come in for the kill ? LOOKING FOR FAULTS ! are we not equal to you
    I gather from the above quote that you somehow have interpreted the factual word "newbie" as to be derogatory? You're also shouting again.

As I attempted to illustrate earlier in the thread, apart from the odd long term member with an agenda, most of the "trouble" does seem to come from "newbies". I also attempted to illustrate that some of these newbies are "not so new" and are just re-packaged previous members. I think you will find that the general consensus at this site (to answer your question) is, no, some of us long term members do not "come in for the kill". Quite the opposite in fact.

One funny thing kev my first thread still did not get one bit of advise on ( windy fishing options ) , not one single spot out of the wind
    I can't help you on that one mate as I'm not privvy to how others are thinking. As one poster said, everyone may have been busy initially and then when they did look and see your angry response, perhaps they thought, "well bugger you mate, find your own spots". To be honest, and if nothing else, I am honest If I could have advised you, I wouldn't have, because your response got right up my nose.

To finish, I will remind you of what I said earlier:

[/quote=kingtin;652216]

We are all entitled to an opinion and we are all entitled to express that opinion. If we expect anything less then we become a "sterile" environment. As long as those opinions are expressed with genuine honesty and civility, and do not diminish any other person, then I really do not see what all the fuss is about.

What's the saying. "I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death, you're right to say it", or something like that. .............Just be civil when you say it, that's the most we can expect.

kev

[/quote]

I didn't like how you responded in your first thread, but I'll defend your right to express your opinion. What you have to realise though is that those who do (or do not) respond to you, will likely respond in a manner that reflects how your manner has affected them.

kev

Top Tips:

Anyone naming their child should spend a few minutes checking rhyming slang and dodgy sounding names. Brad and Angelina failed to do this when naming their kid Shiloh Pitt. At some point, someone at school is going to spoonerise her name.
    Last edited by kingtin; 17-07-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Mono, i have only been a member of this site for a few months and am a newbie like yourself. In that time I have seen Kev as one of the most helpfull members of the site. I haven't seen him get too riled up at all and when he does it is with good reason As I see it Kev is the perfect litmus test to weather a post or thread is out of line. Basically if you have pissed Kev off you are probably out of line as his basic demeanor rarely steps left or right of being very helpfull and polite. I think this is a good learning experience on how posts can be interpreted the right or wrong way.

As for the the original thread I don't have a problem with what you did and would probably be a little pissed off if I saw you booked for it, it was a nice thing to do and your obviously a good bloke but wouldn't like to see it become a regular occurance or be seen by the masses as an acceptable behaviour. I know it seems like i'm sitting on both sides of the fence on this one but the deed is done now and I don't see the point of riducling this act after the fact but wouldn't like to see it continue in the futre (i hope I have made myself more clear).

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Geeze I wonder what we would say if the trawlers shareed their catch??? when they bag out on their quota or have a full fish box. What do they do??

Agree with Webby.
    Giving away fish is akin to selling them.
    I feel they're better left in the water to breed and get bigger than just pulling them out for the sake of giving them away. That's not smart for fish stocks.
    Let 'em eat fish fingers