View Poll Results: Would you still fish if it was 100% C&R?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

170 70.83%
  • No

49 20.42%
  • Not sure

21 8.75%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you still fish?

Re: Would you still fish?

My Opinions have change in the past 5 yrs quite dramaticly.
    As a young bloke used to love catching a lot if fish and would eat them all.

These days I do alot inshore fishing plastics, bait and lure fishing.
    I rarely keep fish when I in shore fish, But I do keep the odd one.
    When I get the chance to go outside and chase'em down, I love a good feed.
    But for me being out on the water is a love all by itself, fishing and catching fish is a close 2nd.

Aj

would love to say yes but said no. I think you've gotta have something to show after spending thousands on petrol a year other than a few photos. i think the stress one would generate after releasing a stomping big snapper or pearly would be enough to hang up the rods.

cheers

fish guts

Have noticed that a lot off anglers have said they would not be detered by a catch and release system and at the same time post photos of themselves with trophy fish maybe the photo is worth more than a feed and this is all their EGO need to survive

For me the photo is the kill mate.

I'm not ashamed of that.

If I'm hungry I'll go to a grocery shop.

Fishing for me is about the hunt and the fight.

/ok thats sounds a little rambo 80's but i am in it for the sheer pulse of joy on a tight line.

I see a lot more people than I thought said no, I reckon 6 months or so those numbers would dwindle, I just can't imagine ever giving up fishing.

prob like all the smokers that reckon they would stop going to pubs if they banned smoking...now you see them all out the front!! lol

yeah. you can have your crabs in my little fantasy land!!

Yes, I most certainly would! I actually enjoy the fishing part of it Though I do love to eat them, usually when I catch a fish, after a quick photo I just throw it back, without thinking. Unless it's a nice sized whiting that is

Tim.

I would keep fishing and if it was illegal to fish for a feed they can put me in prison (where I would dig a big hole, put some guppies in there, fatten em up and eat them too.)
    I love animals, they're very tasty.

Not saying that I don't like catch and release but I definitely don't like one sided polls that can be deliberately misrepresented by those willing to imply that a great majority of recreational fisherman would not be upset if fishing was made 100% C&R.

I prefer to eat my catch. That being said, I limit my catch to what I can reasonably eat immediately or preserve to eat within a couple of weeks. In this practice of exercising the options I currently (and legally) have, I also practice catch and release.

Overall, I guess I prefer to still have a choice in whether I wish to be responsible or not; its called maintaining a conscience in what we like to portray as a free country that is tolerant of each other's differences and believes in the concept of free speech even if we don't practice it for fear of upsetting some minority within this great country of ours that seems to believe that our own culture, mores, beliefs and practices are somewhat of less value than theirs.

Beware what information you inadvertantly provide to groups who will twist facts to represent their own ideology.
    Last edited by nonibbles; 10-07-2007 at 10:32 PM.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Quote Originally Posted by nonibbles View Post
    Not saying that I don't like catch and release but I definitely don't like one sided polls that can be deliberately misrepresented by those willing to imply that a great majority of recreational fisherman would not be upset if fishing was made 100% C&R.

I prefer to eat my catch. That being said, I limit my catch to what I can reasonably eat immediately or preserve to eat within a couple of weeks. In this practice of exercising the options I currently (and legally) have, I also practice catch and release.

Overall, I guess I prefer to still have a choice in whether I wish to be responsible or not; its called maintaining a conscience in what we like to portray as a free country that is tolerant of each other's differences and believes in the concept of free speech even if we don't practice it for fear of upsetting some minority within this great country of ours that seems to believe that our own culture, mores, beliefs and practices are somewhat of less value than theirs.

Beware what information you inadvertantly provide to groups who will twist facts to represent their own ideology.
    I am fully behind in what nonibbles said in quoted post above
    You put all that time effort and money into fishing have to get some reward out of it by eating some of the fish you catch
    And too webby post crack me up
    Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Legislation passed to protect a species or habitat that needs protecting is good and sensible legislation. What frosts me is when legislators make laws based on the "funny" beliefs of the flat bread society (P*TA) or for other nonsense reasons.

If you're going to put up a "No fishing" sign, I'd like to know that you have a very good reason and I'd like that reason to be made public.

Too many games get played. Too many alterior motives. I get very "concerned" when people start telling us that we can't do something because they don't think we should.

Would I still fish if they made it 100 percent catch and release? Yes, I certainly would and not only that, I'd hold the biggest fish BBQ ever held right on the steps of congress. Every fisherman and woman would be invited.

"No fishing" -------- unless there's a darn good reason-------to me, "them's fightin' words" as they say.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Does this mean we will get a fishing rod buy back scheme. After the gun scheme where people were getting hundreds of dollars for old semi automatic rifles that weren't used. It may be a method of reducing my arsenal of rods and reels.

Cheers CC

Would you still fish if ..........?

Insert any condition (eg-if they chopped off my arms)
    and the answer is still YES! I would fish.

So what sort of a question is this?
    Its gotta be a trick question guys.

ANdrew

Would I still fish if I couldn't keep a feed? NO! But with all that extra time on my hands I'd become a rabid redneck politician and get the government voted out at the next election.

absolutely. i dont keep many fish. only trout and spanish. then its only nuf for a feed or two

Well I said yeah, but honestly if it gets tightened up I'd bet on "catch and release" being banned before "catch and keep". It will be greenies getting it banned for " cruelty" or some such.

Bloody oath
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'