Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respect for bream ..

Respect for bream ..

Just a question....Why is it ok to take large numbers of bream?....i know there is no limit on them but almost any other fish whould draw comments...but it seems ok to take as many bream as you want.....there is nothing wrong with a "feed".... but i just dont get the need to take so many....
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Re: Respect for bream ..

big brave hunter bloodlust , or old school mentality
    either way I agree with you

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

my local fishing club has a minimum size 0f 26 cm and a bag limit of 10 for bream although i notice not to many off them get near the bag anyhow ,so i usually stick to these rules when fishing with mates our non club trips

i see a few old guys in the tweed fish the nouth and keep like40-50bream.
    i asked them why they take so many and they said they freeze them.
    but there they are the next day keeping more?
    why would they need more when there are already 80 bream fillets in the freezer?
    yes the bream are spawning and there thick but wat a waist it is.

I don't even think they're worth the effort of filleting to eat fresh, let alone to eat them frozen. But I'm sure others would disagree. I reckon some blokes just seem to get a kick out of taking home a huge amount of fish.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

I also agree, it's a joke. No bag limit on Bream or Trevally!(no min size on Trevally)
    A 25 cm Bream has 2 mouthfulls to a fillet, personally I don't even see the point in taking them. I kept 8 a while back, never again, I'll leave them to the masses.

I know a guy thats in a club here in Brissy, He has reported cathes of up to 90 bream in a night. No not ten boats just the one. Ask what it is for and the reply was were are in a comp and we keep the fish to sell to fund the end of year party.

What Crap if you dont mind me saying

Aj

one or 2 over 30 cm is ok cant justify taking a 23 cm bream i just throw them back

Cheers

Greg

Well AJ, you might have an issue here.

Do you know this ' club ' person and did ' he ' tell you this. Doesn't matter if you're in a club, selling your fish is illegal, simple.

The days of catching cricket scores of Bream to win a Trophy are numbered, trust me !!!

To answer juju's question, why is it OK ? simple, there are no bag limits on the species ( yet ). That is why. People will fish within the law and outside it, of course. Human nature !!!

Hopefully any and all bag limits and size limits are implimented under the direction of scientific research and data. Interesting side note to this, is that some ' club ' history records on Bream and Whiting catches show no decline in the numbers or sizes of those species being caught in the SEQ area. These records date back 50 years. I will add that the records that show this are taken from clubs that fish NON_NETTED estuary systems. I N T E R E S T I N G......

Yep no limit on Trevally either. What is needed is full-on scientific research funded by interested parties to establish the recovery rate, growth rates, sustainability and environmental impacts of species that are considered " bread and butter ".

I personally target Bream in season and do quite well in the way of providing a good feed etc. I like the idea of pulling 40cm Bream from 1ft of water on a freezing winters night with my hands stinking of chook gut... I also like the idea of sittin in front of the tele, beer in hand watching the footy, I have a choice........ I am, and I choose.

Yes, for the record, I have been a club fishermen. I know what goes on and have made a choice not to be involved in that system. But while the laws are as they are, the Bream will be targeted and big numbers dropped in the esky.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I love catching bream & always have but now that i fish the ABT comps which is catch & release, I kind of hope they will be there next time when i need them for my bag..

I was thinking this as i looked at a few recent posts. I dont eat fish and release 99% of my fish. Im not saying everyony should live and die by these rules, everyone is entitled to a feed but 60, 70, 90 fish. Whats going through some peoples heads? Spins me out.

Im not a greeny but LIMIT YOUR KILL. DONT KILL YOUR LIMIT

26/cm and keep enough for a feed only. Must admit I don't mind eating fresh bream !! Bit of flour, butter and a barby plate - nice. When me and the deckie go out we generally target bream and they can be great fun to catch on light gear. Keep 3 maybe four at most (if we catch that many).

Pete

I think it should be rememberd how important these fish are to everybody...from nice big glass boat/platy....down to the kid on teh jetty...they are a bread and butter fish..and to my way of thinking should have a bag limit
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Those bag limits will be here sooner than you think juju !!

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by juju View Post
    I think it should be rememberd how important these fish are to everybody...from nice big glass boat/platy....down to the kid on teh jetty...they are a bread and butter fish..and to my way of thinking should have a bag limit
    well said!
    i really think also insted of spending millions on dollers on marine parks they need to buy out the commercial fisherman and or reduce bag limets on fish!
    who needs 10flathead!
    a very greedy person!