Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respect for bream ..

Re: Respect for bream ..

Yes that's it!!! How could we be soooo stupid!!! *smacks forehead* There are still the same numbers of fish...we are just getting worse at catching them over time...We need a new thread..."Why experience causes you to catch less fish"

A lot of thought must have gone into coming to that conclusion! I bet those same people think if we run out of money we can just print more!!!!

Voodoo, the only conclusion that I can reach, based on experience, is that the number of bream has not declined. If they had, then how could I be catching the same amount on each outing as I was catching back in 1976?

Experience does not cause one to catch less fish but there are now a lot more people getting involved and many have not been taught how to go about it in a particular area.

My friend is a fine example - he can catch about four bream per outing whilst I catch an order of magnitude above that. Why? He won't believe the evidence placed in front of him and insists on using a stumpy seven foot rod with an egg beater, short trace, wrong sized hooks, heavy line and inappropriate sinkers.

He has heard, you see, that you must always use a very light sinker, preferably placed right on top of the hook and disdains the use of sinkers heavy enough to hit the bottom. That technique is okay up against a rock or mud wall but just will not work in a channel.

When everything else fails he whips out a baitcaster reel and, in a strong current, absolutely refuses to crush the tails of yabbies. He just cannot see that he is doing it all wrong and all those little bottles of aniseed, food dye etc., are not going to make any difference at all.

I won't go on about his technique for catching Jew or Shark which involves a marlin rod and a HUGE overhead reel. That combination hasn't caught anything in the last five years.

I will admit that his gear is much more impressive than my trusty old Alvey side cast but when some large and very stupid fish decides to pick up his bait he has so many levers and buttons to push that his live bait has been swallowed and the hook spat out before he can even think of striking to set the hook.

This has been an interesting thread to read - I always thought that everyone loved to eat bream but it seems that it has been a mistaken belief.

Not that I mind - more for me

Fire up lads.....everyone has solid points....just love seeing ALL OF MY FELLOW FISHOS STANDING UP FOR THERE CONVICTIONS...just to add to the thread. do i like fresh bream..Hell yeah! do i keep a few Yeah again. Do I let most go? yes! why? Because i agree with catch a release. Should the guy in the boat beside me do what i do. Not even. When in doubt turn to beer.. "rules are rules macca, rules are rules" and if you read between the lines from webby and phil things are already in the process of changing. The days of the "bream reapers" are numbered.

"Bream Reapers"
    That is gold Poppers.

HI All

Just read this thread and from some, its all a bit judgemental, its a free country but with laws to abide by at every level, you do that, well your free in my book to do what your entitled to and enjoy with commonsense and respect to others, AND no - one should have to be made to justify a legal catch (for whatever reason) which seems to be a view expressed here now regularly. Simply put without moralising, your legal, then your legal.

Its simply a question of choice.

On thing im certain of is that reading a lot of threads on this forum for a while, a greater majority of members here are aware of the laws and exercise their own conscience and thats how it should be, its a personal thing and whether it be keeping a legal catch or releasing it, its your choice and irrelevant to others whatever your reasons,

Personally for me, I just like being out on the water and enjoying the scenery and company that goes with that, fish are a very welcome bycatch.

Cheers
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    HI All

Just read this thread and from some, its all a bit judgemental, its a free country but with laws to abide by at every level, you do that, well your free in my book to do what your entitled to and enjoy with commonsense and respect to others, AND no - one should have to be made to justify a legal catch (for whatever reason) which seems to be a view expressed here now regularly. Simply put without moralising, your legal, then your legal.

Its simply a question of choice.

On thing im certain of is that reading a lot of threads on this forum for a while, a greater majority of members here are aware of the laws and exercise their own conscience and thats how it should be, its a personal thing and whether it be keeping a legal catch or releasing it, its your choice and irrelevant to others whatever your reasons,

Personally for me, I just like being out on the water and enjoying the scenery and company that goes with that, fish are a very welcome bycatch.

Cheers
    mike
    Mike,

How's the new rig going ?

Damo its going great mate, Bec and I are really enjoying it, hopefully mate we will be up there for first weekend of 1770 with the new rig and catching up.

cheers
    mike

I've taken the origional post off as obviously there's no respect for other poeples opinions at late and I could'nt be bothered defending my beleifs.
    ________
    Kitchen Measures

quote=Aigutso;649771]Damo its going great mate, Bec and I are really enjoying it, hopefully mate we will be up there for first weekend of 1770 with the new rig and catching up.

cheers
    mike[/quote]

I have a spare "queen sized bed" room if you want it ? let me know.

Here is a view from the deck
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 10-07-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Damo, cheers mate for that, we will let you know soon mate , its sort of a juggling act right now, getting married in Nov, sort of a juggling act right now
    cheers
    Mike

Mike I have only one spare room for you and Bec. PM me and it's yours did I mention the views

And the official weigh-in is down the hill
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 10-07-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Re Bream And Bag Limits,
    Since I Watched A Tv Show On Fishing And They Mentioned That A Big Blue Nosed Bream Could Be Up To 30 Years Old, For Me, They All Go Back. They Are A Good Fighting Fish For Their Size And On Light Gear Are A Real Challenge But, I Let Them Go. But For Others Taking A Reasonable Amount I See No Wrong With.
    How Can We Keep Bagging The Pro Fisherman When Recreational Anglers Can Do Just A Bad With Massive Catches.
    There Must Be A Bag Limit On All Species And A Size Limit.
    Look How The 70cm Limit On Flathead Has Worked.
    Regards Bush Budah

Thumbs up Re: Respect for bream ..

Bream! A toy to play with when there,s nothing else. Come on blokes, the bloody things are everywhere. Can I give you some Minno advice. Try 6 pound line, floating bait,[ thats no sinker ] go to the bait shop and buy some mulletgut, put on a 2\0 bream hook, look for the places that bream love to hang-out, like mored boats, or pontoons, or rocky protected shallow waters and drop it right in front of their faces. This is for the new bream fisho,s. You will catch the biggest bream in less than 3 feet of water. Why! because their lazy and its safe. Thats bream in a nutshell.

All the best.

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 12-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Even I catch 'em...................speaks volumes

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Go kingtin go. You bloody fisherman.

Minno