Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Respect for bream ..

Re: Respect for bream ..

I enjoy my winters nights fishing for bream and also eating them...I break no laws so all those that disagree with it..tough luck. If oyu think that the bream numbers are in decline..think again...there is no threat to them whatsoever...have been fishing for them for the past 39 years and nothing much has changed..except the forshorews being destroyed..but the bream are still there. For those that C&R all the time...where is the evidence showing that they all survive ?
    I catch bream..I eat bream..I break no laws..my choice.

I'm an advocate for Bream, Whiting etc...I am only 29 and even in my short time I have noticed the decline in fish...when I used to be able to get enough for 2-3 feeds...now I am flat out getting 2-3 legal fish!

We need to be more aware of fish stock management...not that I am a full card carrying member of the tree-hugger community but if we want to teach our children in the future the joy of fishing, we need fish there for them to catch!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I enjoy my winters nights fishing for bream and also eating them...I break no laws so all those that disagree with it..tough luck. If oyu think that the bream numbers are in decline..think again...there is no threat to them whatsoever...have been fishing for them for the past 39 years and nothing much has changed..except the forshorews being destroyed..but the bream are still there. For those that C&R all the time...where is the evidence showing that they all survive ?
    I catch bream..I eat bream..I break no laws..my choice.
    were is the evidence that they dont survive!
    we didnt say anything about having a problem about people keeping a feed all we were saying is why are there no bag limets on bream and how unfair it is keeping 20 or so bream!
    u dont need that many fish.
    know u cant say that fishing isnt on decline. i always here older people saying that the fishin isnt like it used to be. ummmm i wonder why
    after a bream tourniment all bream swim away and u dont here of people saying of a hundred bream or so floating down the river.

Pinhead I concur with your post that "yes there is no limit on bream sizes" and as you abide by those rules "no probs".

the problem here is not Pinhead (if you disagree) it is the law !!!!

As I said earlier I/we only keep what we want (if we are lucky enough to catch some) and that's our choice.

No different to using our shopping bags when we get groceries. using more water than we should (and we don't) etc etc etc.

Mate I'm with you - If its within the law go for it - its a personal choice.

Lets face it some times I drive at 38 in a 40 km school zone. My choice and abiding by the law.

Cheers mate and have a good one.
    Last edited by Raesen; 09-07-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    were is the evidence that they dont survive!
    we didnt say anything about having a problem about people keeping a feed all we were saying is why are there no bag limets on bream and how unfair it is keeping 20 or so bream!
    u dont need that many fish.
    know u cant say that fishing isnt on decline. i always here older people saying that the fishin isnt like it used to be. ummmm i wonder why
    after a bream tourniment all bream swim away and u dont here of people saying of a hundred bream or so floating down the river.
    when I started fishing some blokes (only a few) could catch 100 a night..if they were still around I dare say they could still do it...those numbers may not be acceptable in this PC and "green" woirld we are all being thrust into however..I can still catch the same numbers now asI did back then. Why is it unfair to keep 20 or so bream..they all get eaten./.what difference does it make if I go about 6 times during winter and no other times during the year and catch 20 each time..that is 120 fish...how about the bloke that goes out 12 times a year and catches 10 fish each time and says..aren"t I a good boy..I don't keep many fish.

Every fish I catch is eaten..none wasted or sold so what is your problem..jealous you cannot catch many perhaps?

As for someone else saying they arew flat out catching 2 or 3 fish now...perhaps you need some lessons on catching bream.

I get sick and tired of sanctimonious attitudes at times...how about some people look at themselves first before criticising others.

I dont beleive in poeple taking more than they need but if you need them, take them. I dont eat fish but still keep a percentage of my catch for my family which appreciates it and it is never wasted. If Pinhead enjoys it good on him it's his right. If the law was to change and a baglimit introduced I'm sure that he would abide by that.
    ________
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FORUMS

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    when I started fishing some blokes (only a few) could catch 100 a night..if they were still around I dare say they could still do it...those numbers may not be acceptable in this PC and "green" woirld we are all being thrust into however..I can still catch the same numbers now asI did back then. Why is it unfair to keep 20 or so bream..they all get eaten./.what difference does it make if I go about 6 times during winter and no other times during the year and catch 20 each time..that is 120 fish...how about the bloke that goes out 12 times a year and catches 10 fish each time and says..aren"t I a good boy..I don't keep many fish.

Every fish I catch is eaten..none wasted or sold so what is your problem..jealous you cannot catch many perhaps?

As for someone else saying they arew flat out catching 2 or 3 fish now...perhaps you need some lessons on catching bream.

I get sick and tired of sanctimonious attitudes at times...how about some people look at themselves first before criticising others.
    trust me if i kept all the bream i caught in the tweed it wouldnt be a very good river system.
    i go out in winter and easy get 30 or more fish 28cm to 35 to the fork in a session fishin deep plastics.
    this has been a great season on bream and people are taking advantage of it!(which is ok) unless you take more then wat u need.
    if u take 20 bream or more is that all u eat every week? just fish?
    a bream arount 25cm is only a fish finger so wats he point of keeping that?
    fish around 30cm start to get a bit of meat on them and there is no way u need 20 of them.
    good on you for not waisting any fish but alot of people would and will take as many fish as they can to show off.
    i relised this when i used to be apart of a fishin club which i will never do again.
    but guys would catch bag limets of fish. 20 bream,10tailor, and say 10 dart.
    they would be there filleting fish for ages and would have to end up giving fish away because they had to much. then when nobody wanted any more fish wat do u think they did! but the unberlievable thing is they would do the same thing the next comp just to get a few more points for the end of year tally!

seen mention of flathead limits in this thread, in tassie we have a limit of 30 flathead, per person and a scale fish limit of 45 per person which is in possesion limit. We can go and catch 30 flattie in half an hour, they are in plague proportions down here and numbers are not in decline, if any thing improving because of better quallity water flowing into the sea. Hows all this relate to the current thread, Sure put a limit on them but dont make it so resrictive that someone cant go out and legally catch 5 or 6 kg of fish for a feed or 2 (thats a fair few bream), dont jump on me before remember that the guy that goes and catches a couple of good reefies will bring back more than 5-6kg of fish for the table.
    cheers
    blaze

Without bag limits it is totally up to the individual on how many they choose to take. Pretty staight forward really. Some might feel taking 20, 40 or what ever number bream in a night is outrageous but if they are all consumed / shared with friends I don't see the issue it's there choice. There will come a time when the bream catch is limited.

Damo.

PS: I'm off to the PIN Friday for an overnight trip to chase them (first winter session of the year) If it's a red hot bite i'll choose what I keep, if it's a slow bite i'll also choose what I keep. It's all about choice, what the other two on my boat do I don't give a rats ar$e. I'll just avoid the 2 cm over legal models as they have a tendancy to shrink

Take what you need.

some of the pictures on this forum of 40, 50+ bream are embarrassing to the fishing community

Only take home what i can eat.

I feel ashamed if there is frozen fish in the fridge.

Just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Those bag limits will be here sooner than you think juju !!

phill
    We have bag limits here in NSW but no where near enough people on the ground to enforce the rules.

It will take time but the old school fishermen will die out as I hope do the blokes who target blackfish and fish morning and evening sessions repeatedly bagging 50 -60 each session.

Is it the thrill of the kill or just plain stupidity, maybe a little of both .

whats the point in freezing any fish, you might as well go to the supermaret.
    isn't fishing about pleasure not greed!!

al

Bream are very slow growing and can be a great sport fish on light gear and SP, ive been with clubs on trips and many fish just short of legal had thier backs broken several times and then stomped on to edge out an extra half cm, true!!, even sunfish doesnt want a bag limit on bream, well the guy i spoke to didnt, he was one of the old club boys, hopefully they will get replaced over time by others who think a bit deeper.

While I dont eat bream and only ever keep them If I know soeone will eat them IMHO there is not a snowflakes chance in hell theyre on the decline. I call them the cockroaches of the water theyre everywhere especially when you want anything but. I'm with Pinhead if he wants to take 20 and eat 20 then i think thats fine but 70 fish is a bit far surely theyre not all being eaten. As far as whiting goes what would you guys say about taking 40-50 whiting to be used as live bait over a 3 day session??????

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.