Thread: What line would suit this setup?

What line would suit this setup?

So i just recently brought a 9ft inshore catana shimano combo (as pictured below). I would like to try and do some light surf fishing down the south end of bribie around buckley's hole. My 2 questions are :- 1) what line would suit best for this type of fishing? and 2) how heavy line would you use? . I know that is says on the rod between 6-8kg line, but can i go lighter? in fact, that was 3 questions..... any advise would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Fritzy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What line would suit this setup?

im using 12lb mono on my light surf outfit only to be able to muscle the fish in the beachbreak.i find the lighter line i start losing lures.then theres braid.

Hangar, cheers for that mate, I thought I'd have to go a little heavy line.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Hey fritzy...I have the same outfit I use down in Vic for salmon in the surf, and I've spooled it with 5kg braid. Very fine, casts out of sight, and still breaks well over the 5kg rating. I use the same reel for snapper and gummies w/out any dramas. I've used Stren Lazer braid as a 110m topshot over about 150m of 6kg mono. It's a great outfit, cheap but effective, and will work well with 20 to 40 gm lures.

'Course if you intend baitfishing with mono, you'd get away with as low as 4kg line - but make sure you use a shock leader, or you'll cast out of sight - but your sinker won't be attached any more!

G'day Rob, thanks for all the tips mate, I cant wait to use this little beast! ill be using this more for bait fishing with live worms and yabbies, which is now making me think what line i should spool up with now......decisions decisions

Yup - know what you mean. I ended up buying another spool to fill with mono, for the occasions I also baitfish with the combo. Must admit though, it's a little too stiff in the tip to detect timid bites, so its main use is spinning. Good luck with it anyway!