Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy strait report

Sandy strait report

The longtails have moved into the strait, but not in the big schools that were there three weeks ago. I spotted two or three small patches of them working along the south-western side not far from big mick. The mac tuna were there, again not in large numbers but still taking lures. The trick is to motor up on them very slowly and wait until they're in feeding mode for your best chance.
    Try small hard body 15 to 20gm's and for longtail use 40gm's. Get your knife and scrape all the paint off until the shiny lead is all that is left. Or you can try soft plastic's in the clear variety with the 1\4 to 1\2 oz jig heads.( use 4kg line or lighter) Just make sure the plastic's have the bait-fish look.

On other news, bream, whiting and sharks seem to be all over the place and try to get your hands on some fresh mac tuna you will have better luck on the bream. Oh, and pump some nippers, there always handy to have.

Being trying for flathead the last few days around the flats with plastic's, but with no luck. Trev,s on the other hand have been taking them along with pike and barracuda.

Best of luck.

minno

Re: Sandy strait report

Good to know Minnow any size to the LT's ?
    So the numbers were down from the last time I was on the water when you were ? sorry about the spanish inquisistion but how big is the bait ?

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Ga day flyfisho. The bait in Question is 30 mm long and clear bodied. The size of the longtails are about the same, 10 to 15kg,s but in very small groups but they are sticking to the same area and moving fast looking for a feed, baitfish is getting thin.

minno
    Last edited by minno; 06-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Bad news. The show is over. When out today and not one thing hitting the surface. Time to bottem fish, but that is the only good news. Still, it was good while it lasted.

I,ll keep the eyes open and the ear,s as well.

minno

Yesterday was good in one way and bad in another. Yes longtail were there and big in size, but only in a school of about 10 to 15 fish. The good was, that I hooked up on one, and the bad was, I lost it after a 20 min battle. Big fat mac tuna were also there, but no good on that front, just wern,t interested.
    These tuna are hungry and if you lucky enough to come across them, you will be in with no problems. Because of the next to no baitfish around, it will be down to just that, LUCK.

PS Still no sign of tailor.

minno

Another sad day. Six hours of driving around and only one patch of long tails. I came up to them four times, got 7 to 10 casts in and no takers. Sizes were all across the board. There were small ones at about 4kgs and bigs ones up to around 10 to 15kgs, but as soon as 10.00am came around, they disappeared and the rest of day was like a car accident, tried bait, soft plastic,s and a bit of trolling in between tring to find them, but others had better luck than I did. A little weed, but not a real problem, but the bream are all over the place and night time is the go for them. Water temp was 19.5c and clear to five meters. No bait fish to speak of, But I guess this is winter.

minno

Thanks minno I was going to head up weekend just gone, prob best I didnt chance the weather.

Cheers for the info Minno

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

No worries boys. Another report next week.

Go hard and fish even harder.

minno

Another long day in the straits, but not a total loss. The longtails were back in action and still feeding in the same area. Thou not in great numbers, but size made up for it. 15 to 20 kgs was about norm and still feeding on micro baitfish which seem to be thicking up along the S\W side. Had a short battle with one, but yes , you guess it, it lives for another day. Water temp was 20.5 and clear to 3 meters.

Minno

When you say the south west, are you talking around Tinnanbar?? I'm excited as I've just boughtsome land at Poona and hope to spend an increasing amount of time in the Straits

Stu

Thats sounds great mate. The spot in question, is just east of big mick. I have had a few drinks tonight. Please dont make me think. hehehehe. Iam just a fisherman.

Ok, my head is clear now. They are working between tinnabar and the barges.

minno
    Last edited by minno; 16-08-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Minno thanks for the reports, ill be up there in a couple of weeks or so. Any chance of posting a photo of the lures your hooking the LT's up on? I've never caught a tuna so i want to get it right if i get the chance.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey Minno
    I'm going to Kauri Ck towards the end of next week for a weeks camping and fishing. Apart from the tuna is there any other action. I was hopeing for the likes of tailor, bream, whiting and flathead.
    Any idea if they've made any changes/improvements at Hedleys yet?

thanks
    John

This should get you out trouble. Just change the trebles on the lures, because the ones that come with them bend. I found this out the hard way.
    Last edited by minno; 16-08-2007 at 07:09 PM.