Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandy strait report

Re: Sandy strait report

Some more. This one worked the best.
    Last edited by minno; 16-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Fish caught on these lures.
    Last edited by minno; 16-08-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Hodges 4 If you want too bottom bounce, Grab a block of pillies and fish at night. Just legal sized snapper and big cod can be found if you know where to look. Flathead and whiting are on during the day, but the night fishing, is just unreal. In some spots, you catch black tip reef sharks, shove nose, Tailor, finger spot, and a hole lot more fish that I couldn't be bothered too name. But you get the picture. Sorry I cant help you with your other questions.

Good luck.

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 16-08-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks for the photo's i'll pick a few up before I go.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

No worries mate. The ET salt water pack. Big W is where to get them from.
    Just under $20.00 will do the trick.

Minno

Hey minno just wondering if you are from Poona, you seem to be doing well on the tunas. I have had a shocking year on them haven't nailed more than 10 for the year. Well done mate the reports are helpful.

Cheers Benny

Your welcome mate. No I don't come for poona, but nice place. But I do live close by. All the best fishermen live where I do, thats why the location must be kepted a secret. We are very shy.

If your out there one day, channel 72 VHF. Call sign, Minno 930.

Minno

Longtails are back! Two very nice schools working at the same spot and they are huge. Hook the first one at 4.00pm and lost it after 15 mins. The second one wasn,t so lucky. After a 50 minute battle, this 17kg fish was caught on 6.8kg line.
    First thing tomorrow morning, they should be on the boil. Good patches of bait fish and they have no fear of the boat. Good luck. Minno
    Last edited by minno; 18-08-2007 at 09:41 PM.

This is the lure that it was caught on and the bait fish below is what they were chasing.
    Last edited by minno; 19-08-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Minno, got another question for ya.
    What rod, reel and line combination are you using.

thanks

The line I use is Tournament system line by sure catch power. Its cheap stuff, and only $5.99 for six hundred meters. Light green in colour and its thickness is 0.40mm. I just went down to the garage and Iam reading it as I type. The rod and reel outfit I have, is a ET LTD edition 70 rod by shimano, line class, 6-10kgs and the reel is a Tournament series white horse WHF-950 with 9 ball bearings which takes 210 meters of 0.40. This does the job well. I hope this helps.

Minno

I wouldn't go now if I were you, even thou theres good news. Bait fish are as thick as it could possibly be, and on Tuesday, it was the best of the best. Bar mackerel were all over the place, with long tails. There was only one other boat out their, and they were hooking in well. 20 hooked, 1 released and all the rest got away due to bad hook ups and bite off,s. To all surface blokes! The next three weeks will be hot in the sandy straits! Sunday is looking good, but Tuesday is my pick. The five I brought home were a meter long and not the greatest eating fish, great fun none the less. I dont mind eating them, fish cakes go down well. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 22-08-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Just a note! The long tail that I said was 17kgs is not right. Scales I have were wrong. Now I have no idea what it was.

Minno

14kgs Iam thinking. It was fat!

Minno
    Last edited by minno; 23-08-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Hodges4. Sorry I didn't get back to you, been flat out. The water is still dirty, but been catching lots of fish. The fresh water has done a lot of good. Nice flat head hanging out in front of all the creeks entrances. Fishing hasn't been so good for quite some time. Heading out tomorrow to check whats the go with the long tail, but Iam not being too hopefull. 700 hundred mm has fallen and this will take some time to clear up. As fishermen would know, a good rain always shakes things up. I have been giving fish away left and right and center, and its all good for a fish right now. Prawns ( peeled ) and fresh long tail cubes, seems to get them on the bite. But throw a bag of pillies in too, they always come in handy.
    But for camping, its dry and just bearable. Sand flys and mozzies are bad, so pack the spray. Well thats about it for now, oh and if you have a boat! Watch out for floating nasties. What looked like half a gum tree, it was floating out to sea.

Be safe always and have fun.

Minno