Thread: tailor on fly!

Question tailor on fly!

just wondering if anyone is or have been nailing any tailor from the beach
    on the coast?

Re: tailor on fly!

Never tried it myself, but would you not need a short section of wire?

Wessel

Spook,
    yes mate its really possible I have been walking the beach at North shore Maroochydore on the right moon phases latlely and have been picking up a couple of choppers , we have actually been trageting Jew on fly however this has proved very frustrating (maybe one day),.
    Like wessel said you will probaly want a bit of wire , I havn't been using it and haven't lost a fish , I guess it depends on the size of the fish and the fly used. I also recommend using a fast sink shooting head with an intermediate running line this will shoot well and won't be affected by the waves , if you use wire go the knottable wire , it doesn't kink like single strand .
    I would love to show you a pic but Gavin who I fish with spits it if I use a flash near the water at night , especialy for a chopper .

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

now that sounds interesting about the stooting line and going for the jew cos i wounld of never guess about the waves hit the line thanks for the info
    from spook

Since mulloway are night time feeders, you might try phosphorent flies, like Glo-in-the-dark things. Preferably big. In any case Fluorescent chartruse seems to work for others, in Clousers.
    For tailor a biggish silver fly, fisy style of thing, clouser type again, and pull it quickly.
    Use wire, a biggish thing will swallow a small fly and will certainly chew it off if allowed.
    Cheers Max.

i do say i may need to try this method thanks again very helpful info