Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Re: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Dean, what do you mean by "thumping when running head on is not catlike" as this is their worst trait ?

Julian yes it is true that this is their worst trait and they do thump a bit into headseas, but dominators thump HARD!! I know 3 people that have been in these boats and say that theyve never seen a cat thump so bad. Go for a ride in a coastal cat and youll see what a cat should ride like...

I actually meant to add that my mate that i spoke to this arvo went 4 a testrun about a year ago in 1 coz his mate was keen on 1 and he said what turned him off the most was the thumping, it near bounced them outa the boat at 1 part he reckoned, no word of a lie, and why did the hull dip down so far in the 1st place to stall the motor??? Put 2 and 2 together.

When you place the dominator hull overlaid as a drawing over most other cats the same size what are the main differences in hull heights, tunnel heights angle of entry and angle and height of the front of the cabin?
    Does the dominator come in as a lower front compared witht he others?
    Does the dominator look as though it would handle the same sized seas as well or better than the other hulls around?

I am very curious as to how dramatically different they may be to react so differently in the same waters.

Jack.

Smile Re: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Quote Originally Posted by saurian View Post
    Well you lot have progressed a lot here, my last comments where not aimed at honda ( next witch hunt.. for you lot) they where based on the fact that if the portside motor stopped being a method of propulsion and the starboard side is trimmed right in , when the doominator hit the next hole it didn't rise back up against the trim of the motor. I don't have a doominator , but my boat has got 2 hulls and if that happened to me in my boat I think the result would be the same.
    "Tippy over".
    I do agree with comments made, that people think cats could out do the ocean
    every time regardless of the conditions and this combined with salesmen that thinks get it airborne and the moola will roll out of the punters pockets is a recipe for tippyness..
    But how many boats rollover if they are taken out in the same conditions and driven the same way ( beam on ??????) and the port motor fails as described ,lots .....Mine included.
    So might be a case of lots of factors not just driver/hull error.
    Ta
    Hi Saurian,

I see you have joined the post in an effort to work out what realy happen on the day of test run.

Put it this way, on it`s second attemp to try and correct it self the port side prop did not even have a chance to get water as she stayed on her side and the second 1 meter wave made sure she stayed there and slowly rolled over.

If we had water at the port prop we would still be going and would have just been a near miss..as what happened on one test run months earlier.

Regards Outer edge.

What more do you have to say outeredge.. Not hard to figure really hey.. Imagine if this was to happen at night when you cant see stuff all in front of you. A 7 metre cat should eat up those conditions. I headed to the barwon banks in my 18ft sharkcat in 25kt winds when i was too keen for my own good and never experienced that sorta behaviour..

The other thing here Dean that no one has mentioned as yet,
    Bay condictions can be worse sea wise (Chop) then out side,
    But you would still think that you were covered wouldn't you

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    What more do you have to say outeredge.. Not hard to figure really hey.. Imagine if this was to happen at night when you cant see stuff all in front of you. A 7 metre cat should eat up those conditions. I headed to the barwon banks in my 18ft sharkcat in 25kt winds when i was too keen for my own good and never experienced that sorta behaviour..
    This "night time" aspect is an EXCELLENT point!!

What I have read here leads me to believe that a Formula 233 that I sold through my yard a couple of yrs back (and fished from a few times before selling) would outperform the multhulls quoted here. Sure the deep vees roll a bit but you can control that with trim tabs.

If I were driving at night in a cat in rough conditions I woudl expect a safer ride than a mono, but perhaps I have that wrong???

I remember going fishing one night on a Bertram 25 flybridge and our first spot we pulled up at was so bad that you couldn't stand on the aft deck without hangin gon bigtime. It was blowing approx 25-30kts. Too hard to hold a can and watch your rod....

That was approx 1.5mtr bay type (short, close) waves and we never felt endangered at all. Well, perhaps when I was up foreward using the winch to bring up the anchor......

Sure Berty flybridges tend to rock n roll in high wid and beam waves but shit, never any danger or any chance of danger...

Something cannot be right if we could consider a mono safer than a multi.....

What are Grand Marlins thoughts here? He has big cat experience also does he not??

Cheers

BM thats a good thread, dont be turned off a cat because what this dominator has done, it is so not cat behaviour and cats perform at there best in these sorta conditions! Ty on here has a 7 metre coastal cat and he plans trips in 30 knot winds! He's been out in54 knot winds with 6 metre swells and never had those sorta dramas.. I am so convinced that the hull design on a 7 metre dominator is a lemon, not seaworthy nor safe and you wont see me in once of these things ever. I think they should go back to the way a cat hull is supposed to be built. Straight tunnells with plenty of clearance between the hulls, not these extremely narrowed down tunnels with no support on the outer hulls to stop them tipping over.. Think about how a 'proper' cat hull works....

....Ty on here has a 7 metre coastal cat and he plans trips in 30 knot winds! He's been out in54 knot winds with 6 metre swells and never had those sorta dramas..
    Please leave the garbage out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbuster View Post
    Its really starting to get out of hand...

In this case the boat rolled into the wind and sea.....which is very uncommon as most cats would usually roll with the wind and sea but the dominators don’t seem to share this trait.

Now the same old questions are asked?? There has been several events with this model as Julian has expressed. I believe to date that there have been 7 incidents reported and one fatality related to this hull, kind of makes you think how many of these were actually true accidents and I wonder if they were accused with the driver error issue.
    I hope the MSQ deal with issue promptly before more occurrences of this nature happen.
    If it is correct that there are 120 boats of this model and 7 of them have had "incidents" then that is 5.83% have "incidents.."

Now if it was anything else from a new car to a babies dummy there would be a recall.

Why is it different with boats?

Regards
    seabug

Thats the point Exactly Seabug, For my point of view I have nothing to gain here
    except putting knowledge out there to make a 7m Cat buyer a lil more aware
    and ask question prior to purchase to not have a headache after,

Aj

$hit happens ! you can speculate on the boat, or the driver or whatever. It was that bloody Moreton Bay 2 ft chop again I tell ya

Kerry, just curious as to what you mean by 'garbage'??

Quote Originally Posted by seabug View Post
    If it is correct that there are 120 boats of this model and 7 of them have had "incidents" then that is 5.83% have "incidents.."

Now if it was anything else from a new car to a babies dummy there would be a recall.

Why is it different with boats?

Regards
    seabug
    Until we actually get someone to outline these "incidents" then this number 7 is nothing more than speculation.

Surely someone has some actual background to any of these other "incidents"?

Regards, KErry.