Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Re: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Its really starting to get out of hand...

In this case the boat rolled into the wind and sea.....which is very uncommon as most cats would usually roll with the wind and sea but the dominators don’t seem to share this trait.

Now the same old questions are asked?? There has been several events with this model as Julian has expressed. I believe to date that there have been 7 incidents reported and one fatality related to this hull, kind of makes you think how many of these were actually true accidents and I wonder if they were accused with the driver error issue.
    I hope the MSQ deal with issue promptly before more occurrences of this nature happen.

Blame it this instance it a word bantered around all to easily.
    As Pearl Buster and Julian have noted, that it seems no matter engine or driver, nor weather conditions the only consistant thing here is the Hull.
    Why shouldn't the Markham hull be looked at?
    Why Shouldn't the issue be raised so future buyers or Hull be aware of possible
    short falls in design?
    This is not going to stop guys buying the Markham Hull, but if it makes them ask
    a few more questions to make a more informed decision, they are as we are the consumer all far better off.

This isn't the first hull that has had it short falls if you would like to view it like that. Sure as hell wont be the last.

AT the end of the day not all incidents can come back to driver error.
    Some but not all.

Cheers Aj

Slightly off on a tangent. I have spent the last couple of months talking to heaps of manufacturers and surveyors, both cat and mono about trying to get a boat built in survey. At one stage I was talking to a Sunshine Coast based marine surveyor who does all of Noosacat's and Kevlacat's surveying work. Could have even done Powercat and Cougar Cat as well. Can't remember, but he certainly had a lot of cat credentials. He made some pretty disparaging remark about the Dominators and how the NSW Police were now stuck with the hard top version now and there were dramas with them or something. Obviously he had a vested interest in certain other brands. Now against that I found Mark Hookham great to talk to. Of all the major manufacturers him and Seafarer's Lindsay Fry got back promptly every time and I got to talk to the boss so to speak. The craft that Spaniard King is getting built got back promptly but didn't want to build to MSQ survey without a lot of arm twisting. They were still stuck in Victorian thinking even though they are now Qld based. There were plenty of builders not interested and who didn't bother to get back. There were some smaller guys that did get back as well but they were hard to talk price to as I didn't want to screw them around wasting their time quoting on stuff once I got a feel for their overall hull prices.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbuster View Post
    Its really starting to get out of hand...

In this case the boat rolled into the wind and sea.....which is very uncommon as most cats would usually roll with the wind and sea but the dominators don’t seem to share this trait.

Now the same old questions are asked?? There has been several events with this model as Julian has expressed. I believe to date that there have been 7 incidents reported and one fatality related to this hull, kind of makes you think how many of these were actually true accidents and I wonder if they were accused with the driver error issue.
    I hope the MSQ deal with issue promptly before more occurrences of this nature happen.
    Rolled into the sea - after it had dug in on the starboard sponsonn when it eventually did come back it actully rolled over on the Port side ? Outwide can you elaborate on this

Julian,

I think we need to clarify the way she rolled .

It actually rolled to the starboard side not to the port side into the sea and wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Edge View Post
    Julian,

I think we need to clarify the way she rolled .

It actually rolled to the starboard side not to the port side into the sea and wind.
    did that seem really odd/unexpected at the time (i'm sure it did because you tiped over!) but rolling this way surely can't be the fault of the driver completely rolling this way certanly chnages my way of thinking how the whole vent went down

....This isn't the first hull that has had it short falls if you would like to view it like that. Sure as hell wont be the last....
    Kiktz, Might be of interest to know what your interest is in all of this as really making a statement like "Sure as hell won't be the last" is very assumtive and one would have to wonder, how do you really know this!

With regards the others that have apparently rolled at this point nowhere have I seen EXACTLY how many are in question, have heard 3, some say 5, have also heard 7?

Apart from the exact number would also like to know the EXACT circumstances and events of each of the others.

If there is going to be a disection including the so called others then at least lets have the facts about the others as well.

Regards, Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Kiktz, Might be of interest to know what your interest is in all of this as really making a statement like "Sure as hell won't be the last" is very assumtive and one would have to wonder, how do you really know this!

Regards, Kerry.

hahaha, Kewwy the "assumption police" .

baitrunner mode set... :p

Wipe the snot of your nose ######

If anyone is in the insurrance feild maybe they could search the vessel type and see if they have any warnings about them. If so many have gone over surely the insurance mobs would have started to black ban them.. just a thought

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Kerry i am not taking specificly about the Markhem Hull. Talking about boats
    in general. What I am saying that there has been many different makes if boat
    go over and there will be many more. That is a certain.

Cheers Aj

Its funny that i actually pulled up behind a 7m dominator on beams road yesterday arvo, just down the from northside marine, it had a northside marine sticker on the side so it must be their test boat, 2 150 hondas on the back. They have a very odd shaped hull at the back of them ey!! VERY narrow between the hulls and the outside corners of the hulls are sort of rounded, as in not squared off like all other cats. Why do they lean inwards when they corner instead of outwards like all other cats??? I think markham has changed the whole cat design for a less seaworthy boat.. Why change something that has worked so well for so many years! I used to have an 18ft sharkcat and it had an awsome ride in those conditions! Never once did it feel like tipping over, fair enough the motor stalled but that has little to do with the whole tipping over thing i think. Ive been in alot of cats now and i know what there capable of......

Dean

The odd shape hull as you put it, is why they lean like a mono and not corner like
    other Cat, Hey Just think if nothing ever change what would we be driving on
    out roads. They are trying or have some would say taking the "cat' Hull design
    to a new level.

This is one of the things that are up for discussion here.

Aj

Hey kiktz i agree with trying new things with hulls experimenting etc., but in my eyes and im sure many others, theres nothing wrong with the cat design that has been providing a superior ride for so many years, why change something that works so well??? The whole idea of the tunnell of the dominator narrowing down so much at the back is defeating the whole getting as much air under the tunnell as possible concept?? I think markham has tried to make a cat into something it isnt, cat hulls cut through the water whilst air between them is cushioning the landing, not capturing the air and having a wide rounded rear on the tunnells to make things do what their not meant to do like thumping hard into head seas( not cat like at all) and behaving very unseaworthy like the dominators

Well you lot have progressed a lot here, my last comments where not aimed at honda ( next witch hunt.. for you lot) they where based on the fact that if the portside motor stopped being a method of propulsion and the starboard side is trimmed right in , when the doominator hit the next hole it didn't rise back up against the trim of the motor. I don't have a doominator , but my boat has got 2 hulls and if that happened to me in my boat I think the result would be the same.
    "Tippy over".
    I do agree with comments made, that people think cats could out do the ocean
    every time regardless of the conditions and this combined with salesmen that thinks get it airborne and the moola will roll out of the punters pockets is a recipe for tippyness..
    But how many boats rollover if they are taken out in the same conditions and driven the same way ( beam on ??????) and the port motor fails as described ,lots .....Mine included.
    So might be a case of lots of factors not just driver/hull error.
    Ta