Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Re: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Foils? Did it have foils at the time of the "incident" or not?

Regards, Kerry.
    No Mate it did not have those Foils.

Regards Outer Edge.

Well i have to agree, julian simply asked for a few pics of a coastal cat( I love these boats, thinking of getting a 6 metre built) so theres no harm in puttin a few pics on here for him and others to see so we all know what a coastalcat looks like.. No harm what so ever.... Good work Kiktz....

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Edge View Post
    Hi Foxy,

One thing that i found interesting was when the Northside rep was taking her for a spin he had the motor`s trimed right down ..Q when i asked him bout the trim set , He Said , NO don`t need to touch them that`s the way they like it. I thought this was interesting..I said you know best mate sorry to ask.

I noticed you mentioned your Hull requires trim for the best possible ride,as does the Coastal cat`s.Wy would the Rep be so sure on this .

Your thoughts ?
    Possiably has a bit to do with the incident. The boat i (guess) had little fuel on board and no real wieght down the back. When light like that they sit level or even slightly nose down a rest (more so if most of the crew are up the front as well). Combine that with trim right down and the boats trying to bury its nose all the time as its travelling. Add to that a steep breaking wave and trough hit side on at around 4000rpm ( which in my yammy powered boat is 24-26 knots) ,an engine stall, everyone falling forward and god only knows how many other factors i spose we're answering some questions.
    I cant answer why the rep would suggest to have it trimmed that way, i'd feel uncomfortable if i had to drive mine trimmed right down in rough conditions. Your boat is different, if its like Ty's and i guess it is, the suzuki's travel well with them tucked under as far as they'll go, its a little wetter but it stops it lifting and bouncing.
    The dominator (mine anyway) likes the trim more like most other cats, it doesnt bury its sponsens as much as a 2400KC or NC2300, ( i know all setups are slightly different, im speaking generally) but trim any of these cats down and drive in a side on or following sea and your asking for trouble...

Very Valid Comments there Foxy,

Do the Dominators walk like a Coastal or a KC?
    Or are they by their design more of a stable run re like a mono?

Cheers Aj

Quote Originally Posted by julian1 View Post
    its hard to even find a pic of a Coatal Cat anywhere online, do you have any pics and details you can pm me ? it would be greatly appreciated
    Hi Julian,

Hope the photo`s posted by KIKTZ will give you a rough idea as to the hull and deck design..

Cheers, Outer Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAPPERCOFFIN View Post
    There was rumored that there was not enough saftey equipment on board for the people on it was this true?

Mark
    No this was not true ,

However they were stuck under the boat in a mesh bag..along with my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Possiably has a bit to do with the incident. The boat i (guess) had little fuel on board and no real wieght down the back. When light like that they sit level or even slightly nose down a rest (more so if most of the crew are up the front as well). Combine that with trim right down and the boats trying to bury its nose all the time as its travelling. Add to that a steep breaking wave and trough hit side on at around 4000rpm ( which in my yammy powered boat is 24-26 knots) ,an engine stall, everyone falling forward and god only knows how many other factors i spose we're answering some questions.
    I cant answer why the rep would suggest to have it trimmed that way, i'd feel uncomfortable if i had to drive mine trimmed right down in rough conditions. Your boat is different, if its like Ty's and i guess it is, the suzuki's travel well with them tucked under as far as they'll go, its a little wetter but it stops it lifting and bouncing.
    The dominator (mine anyway) likes the trim more like most other cats, it doesnt bury its sponsens as much as a 2400KC or NC2300, ( i know all setups are slightly different, im speaking generally) but trim any of these cats down and drive in a side on or following sea and your asking for trouble...
    Not sure as to the set up or layout or hull that (Ty) has. So im not sure if it is the same ... , BoB (boat builder ) has a commercial and rec version..

But what i will say is that the Coastal Cat does`nt like the motor`s trimmed right down at all and i don`t now of any that do..........even the Kevla cat has pod`s to give it more trim ...........Coastal cat`s work best with air under that tunnel as do Noosa ,Kevla and aslo the good old couger cat. In most case`s the more air you can get in that tunnell the better the ride .

Also the straiter you can drive it the better it will perform.

The Dominator was tested in a strait line with a cross sea.. and she did nt like it at all.( possibly the new design could have Q..).

thanks for the pics of the Coastal Cat, i did not intend to get sidetracked as i am quite interested in what happened in this situation, but the other question still remains, what about the other incidents with this model ? a few have tipped over ? i wonder how the NSW Police are finding them ? anyone know ?

Quote Originally Posted by julian1 View Post
    thanks for the pics of the Coastal Cat, i did not intend to get sidetracked as i am quite interested in what happened in this situation, but the other question still remains, what about the other incidents with this model ? a few have tipped over ? i wonder how the NSW Police are finding them ? anyone know ?

Not sure as to what happened with the others going over , i do however know of three vessells ( 7m Dominators) going over in similar situations..

Second Question?

Your time on this particular make/model before this "incident"?
    ?? ..........

Hey Foxy,

Gathering that you have asked for you Cat to be purpose built.
    Do you think that it has changed the ride in all conditions?
    If So would you possible think markham may need to look at their design
    and how they have weighted it out.

Why I ask this is seems very odd that you can speak so highly, and with your given experiecne that you have not made this purchase or decision with out alot of research. Yet there appears that not just for this case but others as well have had issues.

Cheers Aj

?? ..........
    All very interesting! The age old comment that all cats are not the same is really quite valid. So was this being a "cat" have any influence on the out come, the thinking being all cats according to some are the same? Regardless of the cat hours how many hours were in this type of vessel prior to this incident?

kerry ,

It seems you find the facts a little disturbing .. Only sea time was on that day of the test run when she decided to pitch and roll on a cross sea..The fact of the matter is, no not all cat`s are not the same (obviously)...

And if you can`t run a boat across a sea in a strait line ,then you got real problems as you probably already know !

Not even the sales rep could explain it when we began to ask him what the hell was that .....He quoted , I don`t know it just did `nt want to come back did she.

Before the incident the sales rep was standing behind the driver (myself) encouraging us to pick up the pace as we had been running that line that sea for about 1 mile...Obviously that did not happen..

The only thing i can give you are the facts so i hope this helps you understand a little furher.

Ps: We aslo asked the rep if he new of any others going over" expecting" a NO ...

He replied , Yeah a couple but they were driver error..!WELL.

If driving a boat in a cross sea is a driver error then their is a lot to anwser for..

Regards ,Outer edge.

how many of any brand Cat have we heard of that has rolled in a side on sea due to driver error ? yes it certainly takes more input from the skipper but to tip over on more than a sinlge occassion is a worry

Julian,

If you were put in the driving seat of a totally unknown, never been in before boat (Cat), could you absolutely and categorically guarantee you would not come unstuck, especially in first up conditions that were not ideal without any background in the boat what so ever?

In a vessel you have absolutely no background of or knowledge about or know any of its special/particular quirks then this is why I raise this particualr query.

Regards, Kerry.

Julian,

If you were put in the driving seat of a totally unknown, never been in before boat (Cat), could you absolutely and categorically guarantee you would not come unstuck, especially in first up conditions that were not ideal without any background in the boat what so ever?

In a vessel you have absolutely no background of or knowledge about or know any of its special/particular quirks then this is why I raise this particualr query.

Regards, Kerry.
    What if a pototential buyer had never driven a cat before (no knowledge or background) and looking to buy one for the first time, and had taken a dominator for a test run, then what?