Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

Re: 7 M Rollinator Real Facts.......

I think he might have set the hook kiktz. Barbs and all.
    Ta night guys .

Saurian

I believe the initial quote was 6m swells. Nothing worse when having a go at someone to exagerate the original quote to make your arguement seem better

I have talked to ty about the incident , there was a low that formed of the coast Nothing unique about 54knot winds and 6m seas when lows form of the queensland coast is there, and i guess if you out in one not much you can do about it.

Ian

Ps. Dean

You shouldn't back out of the story , i believed it when ty told it to me ( i have heard it from his mouth unlike that serial doubter(kerry )and saurian) If these guys thinks it's bs ...big deal, ty could relate it if he wanted but if it was me i wouldn't waste my breath

Um we really are getting off topic here
    Last edited by finding_time; 04-07-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks Ian, I believe ty 100 percent. Saurian, soulfish and kerry should watch their smart remarks before finding out the real facts and doubting people.. Kerry has had attitude right through this topic, makes me wonder how much experience he really has with cats etc.

Hey saurian, Kerry.

I think you central to nth queenslanders get abit soft when it comes to swell ( hiding in behind that big reef i suspect) Kerry doesn't even believe a 6m swell exsits, I guess if you have the most dangerous 2 foot chop on the planet you have no where to go with swell size But you'll find the further you go sth the bigger they get and the more accustomed skippers get to working with them, you should see what some Tassie skippers will work in , isn't that right Snelly Oh that's right Kerry thinks your a BS artist as well, picking a trend here! try and be a little less Cynical Kerry

Ian

I know ,i know off topic

saurion,are you saying a liferaft is the perfect boat?look i"ve never been in a ride in a dominator,but when i flew to sydney to buy my 2700 noosa cat i had 2 nsw water police skippers drooling over my boat saying they felt safe as a bank in there 2700 noosa cat .these 2 guy's could not bag the dominator enough saying they"d been scared on a number of occasions and proceeded to tell of several rollovers in nsw.they said when it gets to rough they won't take it out they take the 36ft stebber instead.The only reason they didn"t replalace thier noosa"s with new noosa's was they were to dear.as with my own cat or mono"s which i"ve owned i think weight distribution is every thing.EXAMPLE when i owned 2 seafarer vagabond"s 1 with 175

bit off topic, but the day I broke my boat in half ($10000 to rebuild which include hyd steering and new plotter) 4 meter waves with no back and 60knt winds recorded by bom, I wasnt doing any record speeds though.

On the topic, the thing I find frustrating is trying to piece the story together with the info seemingly supplied in dribs and drabs with lots of inuendos in between. Would have been easier for me to comprehend with the complete story by the driver in one go, then it would have been good to have the other dozen sides to the story first hand.
    cheers
    blaze

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Hey saurian, Kerry.

I think you central to nth queenslanders get abit soft when it comes to swell ( hiding in behind that big reef i suspect) Kerry doesn't even believe a 6m swell exsits, I guess if you have the most dangerous 2 foot chop on the planet you have no where to go with swell size But you'll find the further you go sth the bigger they get and the more accustomed skippers get to working with them, you should see what some Tassie skippers will work in , isn't that right Snelly Oh that's right Kerry thinks your a BS artist as well, picking a trend here! try and be a little less Cynical Kerry

Ian

I know ,i know off topic
    Love your work Ian

sorry guy's bumped wrong key.(continued)175 evinrude (great boat) 1 with 200 yammy four stroke(great engine but boat just didn"t perform as well to stern heavy).as with my noosa cat remove anchor chain from locker and goodies from under bunk and the difference was night and day.difference was spray over the windscreen to having none at all.also i fish out of another 2700 noosa and they are completly different boats(weight distribution engine weights and centre cabin vr"s extended long cabin.So point is like foxy say"s his dominator has different weight distribution than a test boat from northside marine totally different boats .interesting to read the latest f&b that there are more dominators sold than any of the cat brands put together since the dominators were launched in the 6.0 -7.0m range so when put in perspective are there really more that many rollovers than the conventional cat design.

Deano dont let them get to ya, reading last few pages i can only laugh that some people think the ocean is flat. Those seas would be uncomfortable for any boat and sounds like a few of these blokes dont venture out to far beyond a 5-10kn forcast. I upgraded to a cat to be able to stay out on bad forcasts safely and it hasn't let me down. Although i wouldnt like to be out in 6m wind blown swells in a coke can cat like one of these other members have. outer edge when cornering the dominator did it cavitate at all. From what i have read on the incident i dont rekon there was any fault on your behalf i cross that bay from tanga's to scarb all the time in summer with a screaming se or ne and can easy do it across the sea full noise wot all the way many times with the missus. 4000rpm in mine is around 26-30kn and wot is 42kn . 24kn that you were doing in my opinion is not pushing a normal cat to extreme you were just the poor bloke at the helm . If you were traveling across a sea with wind and waves hitting you on starboard side doing say 20kn how well would this cat corner if you turn starboard towards the on coming sea with the cat leaning into the waves as it cornered Do you think this boat would be safe turning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Until we actually get someone to outline these "incidents" then this number 7 is nothing more than speculation.

Surely someone has some actual background to any of these other "incidents"?

Regards, KErry.
    Hi Kerry,

Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it your self...

Do the hard yards and reserch into it and tell what you find .............as i have done.

Regards Outer edge..

Quote Originally Posted by wadeo View Post
    Deano dont let them get to ya, reading last few pages i can only laugh that some people think the ocean is flat. Those seas would be uncomfortable for any boat and sounds like a few of these blokes dont venture out to far beyond a 5-10kn forcast. I upgraded to a cat to be able to stay out on bad forcasts safely and it hasn't let me down. Although i wouldnt like to be out in 6m wind blown swells in a coke can cat like one of these other members have. outer edge when cornering the dominator did it cavitate at all. From what i have read on the incident i dont rekon there was any fault on your behalf i cross that bay from tanga's to scarb all the time in summer with a screaming se or ne and can easy do it across the sea full noise wot all the way many times with the missus. 4000rpm in mine is around 26-30kn and wot is 42kn . 24kn that you were doing in my opinion is not pushing a normal cat to extreme you were just the poor bloke at the helm . If you were traveling across a sea with wind and waves hitting you on starboard side doing say 20kn how well would this cat corner if you turn starboard towards the on coming sea with the cat leaning into the waves as it cornered Do you think this boat would be safe turning ?
    First driver was the sales rep (David i think was his name ,nice guy ) took her out for bout a mile head sea . He said hold on ill show you the turning feature and hooked it to the right. To anwser your Q did it cavitate.. No it did not , however it did roll extreamly fast and around to the star side..

Hope this helps.

Regards Outer edge.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by saurian View Post
    Dean , Think someone is referring to 700m seas and 540kn winds.
    Sounds really , well, like garbage.......Mightn't be garbage but sounds like it..
    Outer edge are you saying that the waves where only 1 m , Was the intitial trough as such 1m or more in depth ?
    Ta

Hi Saurian,

The 1 meter sea was the average sea on that day with a wash on top.... and the usuall hole here and there...as the bay tends to be in that sort of condition..

As you know if you live in bris the bay can be pretty shity with good holes now and then ,However shorly a vessell of its size and calibar should be abel to handle a holl here and their.

Regards, Outer edge.

Reading back about 7 pages in a post THAT IT WALKED LIKE NO OTHER CAT it seems the way they have designed the tunnel being so narrow in the stern is that perhaps it rides on a round cushion of air shaped by the tunnel design making it walk excessively as it rolls from sponson to sponson on its air cushion. Very different to a cat with a square or rectangular shaped tunnel. A bit like sitting on a seat as apposed to sitting on a fence cross bar with a leg on each side you struggle to keep a good centre of balance. Maybe the tunnel compresses the air too much and can't let it escape through its narrow entrance at stern. I bet you were glad to get back in your coastal cat outer edge? How well did it float turned turtle? Were you able to get right way up before coast gaurds arrived?

Quote Originally Posted by wadeo View Post
    Reading back about 7 pages in a post THAT IT WALKED LIKE NO OTHER CAT it seems the way they have designed the tunnel being so narrow in the stern is that perhaps it rides on a round cushion of air shaped by the tunnel design making it walk excessively as it rolls from sponson to sponson on its air cushion. Very different to a cat with a square or rectangular shaped tunnel. A bit like sitting on a seat as apposed to sitting on a fence cross bar with a leg on each side you struggle to keep a good centre of balance. Maybe the tunnel compresses the air too much and can't let it escape through its narrow entrance at stern. I bet you were glad to get back in your coastal cat outer edge? How well did it float turned turtle? Were you able to get right way up before coast gaurds arrived?
    Hi Wadeo,

Mate was real happy to get back in a Coastal .

That following W/end went out my mates Coastal cat ,was like a fish out of water telling him all about it .(He laughed at me and said dont think they got a sale coming).I can honestly say we cross the wide bay bar at night consistantly and that night i slept in the cab as he was doing so with not a worry in the world

Yeah the dominator did float well but after bout an hour of so the water line did start to loose surface...again there was four of us on top of her..

They dragged her in turtle side..

Hope that helps you understand bit more..

Regards ,Outer edge.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    So point is like foxy say"s his dominator has different weight distribution than a test boat from northside marine totally different boats .interesting to read the latest f&b that there are more dominators sold than any of the cat brands put together since the dominators were launched in the 6.0 -7.0m range so when put in perspective are there really more that many rollovers than the conventional cat design.
    Soulfish,

Totally agree, this is why I have asked foxy about his design changes whether or
    not he beleives that this has changed its riding. Making it Better. It you read Foxy's post back a bit. 1000ltr Eskys, lowered floors, you would have to suggest he would carry a spare everything. Would love to know his thoughts on his boat riding now vs the test run. I am sure they would be chalk and cheese.

The Dominator have build up a great reputation of the years and I do beleive that they up until this design have been one of the 4 or 5 tops brands on the market. In my mind they have riden that reputation and with good marketing. Have sold the most alot of boats. But is what they are selling a safe product given that the have had so many incidents.

Also I find your comments with the NSW water police very interesting.
    What was their main issue with these hulls?

Cheers Aj