Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish ID

Fish ID

gday guys,
    went for a flick this morning and landed this little feller .
    wouldent have a clue wat it is if u ask me it looks like a freash water gudgeon
    it had a pretty flat head a beuitiful colors he had yellow spots with a pinkish fins.put up an alright fight for hes size .cought him around a litle rock creek on a 2'' fat grub
    anyone seen one before?

cheers nath

How ya living?

Re: Fish ID

Hi Nath,

Not quite sure what they are called, but have caught a few on lures in the creeks up north.
    My old man used to call them Mud Cods but i am guessing that is not the real name for them.

Shep...
    tourproexpeditions.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by SheppyG View Post
    Hi Nath,

Not quite sure what they are called, but have caught a few on lures in the creeks up north.
    My old man used to call them Mud Cods but i am guessing that is not the real name for them.

Shep...
    same here we call them mud cod, great live bait for barra

Daz

It is a sleepy cod, supposed to be great eating, and also as stated great live bait for impoundment barra. http://www.nativefish.asn.au/sleepycod.html
    Cheers Ian

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Yep, u got it iank, a sleep cod.

it is excellent eating too comparable to a freshwater version of pearl perch.

jack

thanks guys
    sleepy cod are a freashwater fish i cought him in saltwater
    it does look like one tho is it possible for them to change to salt like jack and barra do
    cheers nath

How ya living?

I think its some type of gudgeon fish. Look them up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by barkers creek View Post

it does look like one tho is it possible for them to change to salt like jack and barra do
    cheers nath
    and now even the Tilapia

Daz

I read an article on Sleepy cod in last months BnB, they are indeed a species of gudgeon and they do resemble that fish. I dont know if they can tolerate salt water so I defer judgment to someone better at fish ID than me

Nath,

Definently a snake headed gudgeon. Caught a few of these in my local area in brackish water, and also up in the crystal clear fresh near daintree.

Great fight, fantastic colours, probablly not bad barra bait or eating. However, they are quite rare and, as with any fish worth a smidgen of merit these days, should be released.

Cheers, Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch qld View Post
    Nath,

Definently a snake headed gudgeon. Caught a few of these in my local area in brackish water, and also up in the crystal clear fresh near daintree.

Great fight, fantastic colours, probablly not bad barra bait or eating. However, they are quite rare and, as with any fish worth a smidgen of merit these days, should be released.

Cheers, Mitch.

cheers mitch yer he was pretty good fight and was released .....the one thingh i dont get is it was in pure salt water im talking mayby 1km from the mouth of the river if you lucky but there was a slight run off from the resent rain but it as straight from a storm water outlet....but thanks anyways had a look not many pics but the 1 i did see looks pretty much like it

cheers

How ya living?

mud cod. live all sorts of places. drains around cane feilds, fresh and brackish water in creeks.

Hey nath i caught 1 in the cast net at the back of jacobs one time

cheers jacko and cdg not a bad fight

How ya living?