Thread: Fly fishing for bass

Fly fishing for bass

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new fly rod and am wondering wat is the most suitable weight for bass?? I already have a cheap fly rod, but want to get a g.loomis gl2 or gl3 and a shimano ultegra reel to target surface feeding bass in maroon dam. So wat weight rod is recommended? Also wat are the best surface flys for bass??

cheers, Bass-Pirate

Re: Fly fishing for bass

Hey Pirate,
    if your casting could be better go for a 8 or 9 weight rod this should be able to punch flys into the wind with no dramas . As far as graphite quality of the Loomis range , see if you can find a "pescado" these were entry level Rods and are rated to an #8 line I had one when I started and have caught heaps of Bass on it and Tuna which are very demanding on rods I am not sure if they are available anymore now . If you can afford it go the Standard Cross current , these are GL3 , they would obviously be a bit better .
    I am a loomis man when it comes to fly rods , and for Bass I use a GLX #7 and just change reels between a fast sink and a floating line .
    In my opinion there are better reels in the same price range as the Ultegra , like the Inovater reels or the Scietific Angler system 2 . If you do use the Ultegra it will need constant maitainence in Saltwater , but I wouldn't get it wet in the fresh either as the internals rust easily.
    As for surface flys , in my opinion Bass respond to flys that "wake" rather than bloop so , Dahlberg Divers and Gurglers in particular Andrew Grabhams verison shown in one of the Fishing DVD's.
    keen to hear how you go photo evidence only

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

You probably need a TFO Lefty Kreh 9 weight or so. Rather nice and cheap, try Chris Dunham 08 93715156.
    The equal of Loomis, but a lot cheaper.
    I'd use a 10 weight myself because its usable in most salt water situations.
    There are quite a few decent reels out there Cris has those as well.
    MaxG.

A 10 wouldn't be a bad size for an alronder as Max said however I reckon it would be overkill for Bass . My 7 weight can handle half meterys in tiger country , without giving to much line a low rod angle will put a lot of hurt on most fish.
    If you were mainly into estury work in the salt whay not get an 8 weight for an alrounder its easy to cast and can handle some decent fish and will not feel to big on bread and butter species. you could easily put a Bass on the rod as well.

would a 7 weight gl2 be heavy enough? I will pretty much only be using it to cast dahlberg divers to small to medium sized bass in maroon dam? I want to use as lighter rod as possible. also wat would be the best floating line for this situation? Is a scientific angler system 2-L a good reel? im thinking about that instead of the ultegra..

Sounds like a good setup Pirate ,you shouldn't have problem stopping any Bass with that setup.
    as for the line you would want a weight forward line with a chunky head , it depends who you buy it off as to what they stock , if you can find the Rio clouser line that should do the trick for bulky flies it is a tropical line and will be more suited to summer.
    most of the scientific angler range is very good and will do the job but the new redfish taper is probaly more what your after if you go SA.
    By the way that SA system 2 LA is an awsome reel you will get many years out of it, it is leaps and bounds above the ultegra in every way - good choice

awsome as, thanx a lot flyfisho, you have helped me make my decision majorly!

no problems Mate , I reckon it doesn't need to be as complicated as some guys make it out to be , its just fishing not black magic, I am stoked that I can help. I am keen to hear how you go keep us posted

no problems :-) i sure will. Im not going to maroon till october, but will be sure to take some photos when i do!

cheers