Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Snorkles For Cat Engines?

Question Remote Snorkles For Cat Engines?

Does anyone now of someone that makes snorkles for engines.I am having trouble with my engines on my noosa cat sucking in to much salt air and after 2 trips i have to remove carbies and clean out.If any one has had similar problems would appreciate info on any fixes.

Re: Remote Snorkles For Cat Engines?

hhhmmm I have had cats for over 25 years and never had any drama, are you getting water IN the carbies?? if so, then I doubt that it is being "sucked" in,what sort of engines are they?

yes most cats suck in water my was no different ...

i did the snorkle thing from day one ..

i used air cond. ducking for the pipe and installed the entry up uder the side pockets .. had the motors for 15 years without any service done .. some times i would spray crc onox into the air intake to lube all the carbs.. the motors would start to stall then i would ease up.......motors yamaha 85 hp s stroke pre mix....

I HAD NO PROBLEMS ...... and a lot of use ...

what happen ???????????????
    "whats the time"

forget about the "snappa" and look to the motor

u will see the pipe coming off the front of motor ...

hope this helps .??
    "whats the time"

Narby , I don't seem to have the same problem , but I havn't got a noosa.
    Would be interested to hear what you do, to solve problem???.
    It would piss me off to no end if mine where carbying up as such ....
    But mine sure seem to cop spray at times...
    Ta

These ones are homemade on a 1988'ish 7m Sharkcat.

Looks like its time to break out the tools Pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Narby_Pup View Post
    Does anyone now of someone that makes snorkles for engines.I am having trouble with my engines on my noosa cat sucking in to much salt air and after 2 trips i have to remove carbies and clean out.If any one has had similar problems would appreciate info on any fixes.
    Had a cat with twin 70hp Yamaha's oil injected, dud engines. I think if you need to clean out your carby's, it's water in the fuel - not air born - as water can't get in the bowls if that's where you are cleaning them out. The fault I had was jelly like stuff forming in the bowls after a couple of trips. Found fitting new filters, cleaning out tanks helped a lot. I also started putting just a little oil in the fuel tanks so when the boat would sit around the fuel in the carby's would dry out, but it left some oil in the bowls which stopped the carby's drying out which is a problem on injected outboards as the oil is injected rather then being mixed in the fuel.

Are you sure its sea mist getting sucked in?

(Not spray kicked up from LBT pick ups or sounder transducers)

Rod

Alot of the older cats here had them fitted...I am unsure who fitted them but they look very similar to the above home made ones....Apparantly the earlier Yammies had a problem with sucking in fine spray off the motors causing bearing damage...which eventually caused complete engine failure....

Cheers Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Narby_Pup View Post

Can you post a photo of rear of cat with motors trimmed level. Side shot as well? What motors?
    If they are set up right you really shouldn't need snorkles the way modern cowls are set up.
    Where exactly was water found and what conditions were you running in?

Misting used to be a problem on old cats as motors had to be mounted so low to the water before extra longs were avaliable. Now with pods or set back mounts amd better hull design it shouldn't be a big issue. If it is a moored boat they sufferred worse from misting as chines would clog with barnacles and the crisp waterflow off hull was lost.

When coming off the throttles fast you can still nearly drown a motor in a noosa cat with the stern wave if the nose pitches down.

Tell us where the water was for a start and someone here will be able to help as snorkles are a ugly adaption and only a solution in the worst case and wreck cowls.

On offshore power boats they are used as the racers have removed all cowl baffells and airbox to get max cold airflow rather than air from around motor and use carbon cowls to keep weight down. They don't care about noise or anything else but power.
    Last edited by cormorant; 26-06-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Its a common problem to most multihulls and was referred to in a service bulletin by OMC some 15+ yrs ago. I can't recall the analogy they gave but they were working out rough volumes of water being ingested by cat engines and the figure was staggering. This is typically ok (sort of) while the engine is running hard and generating heat as the water typically gets evaporated off before it gets a chance to do any harm. However upon returning to dock any remaining moisture will sit and this causes bearing failure. Its not a brand specific thing at all its simply to do with cats being quite wet boats at the rear end.

The only remedy is fitting snorkels as pictured above to allow air induction that is not laden with moisture (or saltwater spray).

Its not uncommon when doing an inspection on a multihull boat to find very rattly engines. Not in one or 2 yrs from new but say 10yrs down the track. The same engine 10 yrs along on a monohull is going to still be quiet in the bearings.

Cheers

i have an early 660 Noosacat and have had no trouble with water getting sucked from the air, on a calm day there is barely any water on top of the cowling, the old engines were 130 saltwater series Yammies, now it has 150 Suzuki 4 strokes and still no need for snorkels, maybe its a combination of old style cowlings and 20" shafts that caused the problems in the old days, it would be the last thing i would want to do to my engine cowls, maybe its more likely water in the fuel tanks, are checking your water seperators after every trip ?

I would tend to agree with "catlover" and like to make sure you are cleaning out the carburettors for the right reason. Is the water in the fuel bowl of the carburettor or is it salt corrosion in the throat of the carbys. if the water is in the fuel bowls it is doutful fitting snorkles will solve the problem. But if the carburettors get corrosion in the throats you definatly have a problem you must address. Air borne salt water injested into the engine will damage the bore and bearings.

My Jaycat6000 does not have that problem as the Manafacturer has designed the tunnel to eleminate spray from effecting the engines. At low speed there is Zero spray as it is stopped by the extended side walls of the tunnel. at high speed the spray leaves the tunnel from behind the engines and keeps the engine cowls dry.

In the mean time it would be a good idea to take the extra time to inhibit both your engines with a rust preventive every time you let them sit between fishing trips..... I dont mean externally only I would remove the cowls and while running the engines in fresh water at around 1500 rpm spray inox down the throats of the carburettors so as to inhibit the crank pins and needlerollers, cylinder walls, rings etc etc. Commonsense has to be used when doing this so listen to your engine and don't spray for too long..... short bursts with a good 10 second pause in between,letting the engine oil do its job as you don't want to flood the engine with inhibitor as the inhibitor will not satisfy the lubrication requirements of the engine.

If you don't want to use inox I think the dealers will have an approved inhibitor for your engines.

cheers
    Big G
    Last edited by Big G; 26-06-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Cheers to all for info.A bit more info about my problem.The engines are 2004 model yamahas,i have quality water seperator/ filters fitted and allways check before going to sea, and only have small amounts sometimes.The fuel bowles are not holding moisture when i dismantel carbies.When i remove top cover from the carbi, the vent cavity for fuel bowl has gritty shit in this area.This grit works its way into idle jets only and causes idlel problems.Originally thought is was water contamination but i am 100% sure its not.My engines do sit low on this boat as they have been mounted onto pods which are not standard to this cat as far i no.I am thinking of running vent hoses from carbies to air box as this is where johnson have theres and makes sense to me for various reasons. The grit in the vent is crystalised salt. The engines on my boat are long shaft but still sit low. There is adjustment higher but not much and not sure if this will cause other problems like cavitation. Attatched some pics of boat.