Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Snorkles For Cat Engines?

Re: Remote Snorkles For Cat Engines?

i believe most engines suck a certain amount of water spray ....

(.)(.) ...snappa
    "whats the time"

those engines appear to be long shaft, not extra long, XL will take them another 5" out of the water, so maybe that has some bearing on it, I had a pair of 90 Yamahas on an old 18' Sharkcat and never had any problem at all, do your motors have any sort of filter (like say foam) in the air box, or is it just a hollow container?

Th9is is'nt the best shot to show them but it's all i had on the putter, these are the big foot yami fours with 25inch leg i believe . You can see how high the the motors sit, the pods had to be raised to take these motors , and they hardly get wet at all during calm days offshore, rough days everything gets wet

Those Yammie 60's pack a lot of motor in a small cowl and a small airbox.

Look there is probably a lot of misting at the end of the tunnel as it has not been extended when the pods have been stuck on. You could experiment with a piece of polypropelene between the motors and the tunnel to force the misty air further back away from your motors. Not easy to secure but on a older boat we had some canvas made up on a stainless frame were surprised how well it worked.

As said the motors don't look like extra longs which are better as they raise the powerhead. I would have guessed and said they look a little deep in the water as the cav plates should be able to be a good 1-2 inches above the bottom of the hulls??? Get someone locally who knows their cats to have a look or phone Nooosa and send then som ephotos as they will be good for advice.

Those deposits could be from / if the motors get swamped when you come off the throttles and not from misting. Cowls in smaller HP motors are not watertight and can allow a surge of salt water into the cowl that doesn't drain very well. Some evaporates as air flows through and you end up with salt deposits. Cowl rubber seals that are in poor condition or have been jammed may also let in a lot of very moist air.

Also is it happening the same on both motors and are they counter-rotators?? If one is worse than the other ( I'll guess your port motor) as it gets more disturbed water and will also sit deeper in the water due to torque of motors.

try and solve all the other possible issues before tearing apart cowls.

Are you sure its salt in the carbies. My father had a jet boat in the 70's and had all sorts of troublewith a build up of very fine silvery powder in the carbies it ended up being the fuel tank was made of aluminium and was corroding. When he replaced the tank no more problems.Just a thought.
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Narby, I have an 89 90 model sharkcat/noosa cat redesigned with pods,Carby 2 strke yammies 25 inch legs . Drive it through anything with outboards on rough days copping a drenching and never have a problem ever !. Have you tried putting a bit of metho in ya fuel tank to evaporate any water that may have snuck in through the tank breathers?

Simple solution Narby,
    Follow your instincts and good taste, ditch the cat and buy another Poly.
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by wadeo View Post
    Narby, I have an 89 90 model sharkcat/noosa cat redesigned with pods,Carby 2 strke yammies 25 inch legs . Drive it through anything with outboards on rough days copping a drenching and never have a problem ever !. Have you tried putting a bit of metho in ya fuel tank to evaporate any water that may have snuck in through the tank breathers?

Narby pup and waedo . Gouy PM each other and have a chat and exchange photos or go have a look at each others boats if nearby as you may see an obvious set up problem. Different set up on cats make huge difference so if you can both get on the water you'll learn a lot about what to and not to do with your rig set up. Motor heights are critical and even prop types make a big difference to performance. If you can get the boats side by side you may be able to see any hull mod from the factory that were done in the later example.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Well all I can say is that if some are not aware of a Cat with a water injection problems (and there's been some classics over the years) then either they know very little about Cats or don't want to know!

Well i hate to say it but i have to agree with Kerry....

I have heard so many stories about cat motors here having bearing failures due to water...weather it be from a fine misty spray being sucked in..or as commercial operators do...hard reversing....

Cheers Mick

....finally
    "whats the time"

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Well all I can say is that if some are not aware of a Cat with a water injection problems (and there's been some classics over the years) then either they know very little about Cats or don't want to know!
    Agree completely!! In fact, thats what I said on page 1 somewhere....

For an outboard manufacturer to mention the problem in a service bulletin shows that the problem is all over the world.

Re someone mentioning water surge going into the cowl when powering down this would be obvious with the cowl off as there would be salt on most things in the lower pan.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Narby pup and waedo . Gouy PM each other and have a chat and exchange photos or go have a look at each others boats if nearby as you may see an obvious set up problem. Different set up on cats make huge difference so if you can both get on the water you'll learn a lot about what to and not to do with your rig set up. Motor heights are critical and even prop types make a big difference to performance. If you can get the boats side by side you may be able to see any hull mod from the factory that were done in the later example.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
    Gday Cormorant. I think your sugestion is good. My cat which was purchased as a wreck to be done up as a project boat was a great way of getting an under standing on the whole cat concept. I studdied lots of other cats while bring my cat back to life. Including a late 80 model 7m shark cat which had these ugly looking breather pipes on his outboards claiming he had drowned both motors twice in 2 yrs. I then looked further to why this was happening on this boat. It had the motor well transom and in built pods ( on inside of transom) . I also noticed that while on the water his sponsons filled up with water and so did his in built pods. Watchin this rig travel through the water from another boat i noticed it badly dragged its ass everywhere and sat very low in the water at rest.Taking this into consideration we decided to rebuild my transom so there were no motor wells and put big air tight pods onto transom for 1stly bolting outboards to in a higher position and 2ndly to create more bouyancy at rear of boat. Having all new bulk heads ,stringers and floor i have no problem with water under floor and gained extra deck room by getting rid of the old bulky transom. Now its completed we have no problems at all with water and our outboards at rest or under travel. Cats are known for their wet ride down the back of the boat and mine is no different but the outbards don't cop anymore than a mist of water. I dont have breather pipes and just had 110hr service from boat being new again and carbies and everything for that matter under cowels were in good clean condition with bugger all salt residue anywhere. Narby i know you have a newer noosa cat than mine so this might not apply to yours but it certainly changed mine.