Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Responsibilities

Responsibilities

I have just come home from my morning walk along the Broadwater and felt the need to put a post regarding boating and drinking. Waiting for the charter boats to take on their passengers for the day I saw around 10 guys enjoying a few drinks (beer and bourban and bundy ). When they boarded ,the grog accompanied them ,a few cartons .
    Now theres no way that Im a wowser but I felt sorry for the skipper of the charter and the responsibility placed upon him for the safe keeping of his passengers.
    The guys concerned wernt schoolies .
    any thoughts on the matter or should I just forget it and crawl back under my rock.?

cheers Terry

Re: Responsibilities

Don't know mate , i have been on boats like that and usauly the guys are pretty responible or couple are anyways.
    Done the get up at 2 am drinking by 3 am on trip out and keep going all day in modration ........ well sometimes
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

G'day

I know exactly how it is. Having been a deckie on established charter boats that operate out of both marina mirage and scarborough... I've seen my fair share of d!ckheads.

Had them drinking way too much, combined with not much food and the sun is rediculous, also smoking marijuana, all day.

Had one complete fool literally jump over the side of the boat, when we were drift fishing at hutchies. Think about it, when the skipper was pre occupied, myself and the other deckie were helping others, this fool leaps in between 10 or so lines down the port side of the boat. Imagine if he had been taken by a shark in the minute or so it took us to get this clown back onboard?

Needless to say, we practically locked him in the cab untill we tied up.

Dave

I usually take a few bevvies with me out on a charter, or any other time I'm out in the boat and not in charge, but I do drink in moderation, an all day trip might see me drink a sixpack an over nighter would only be a couple more.\

I do know of one operator that after giving the safely speil before they left port, and warning that if drinking gets out of hand the trip would be ended early with no refunds, by the time he had got to the reef and fished for a couple of hours, his customers got really rowdy and after telling them in no uncertain terms to knock it off and calm dwn, one of the people got knocked over and hit his head, nearly knocking him out. From there the opertaor said thats it up your lines , we're going back in, well needless to say, the customers were furious, but they were warned repeately, and to follow his duty of care the safest thing to do was to head back in.

The customers tried to sue, but they weren't successful, ending up having to foot the bill for all legal expenses for both parties. The magistrate said the skipper was following his duty of care, and if they chose to behave in such a way that this action had to be taken, it was thier own fault.

So as I understand, for those on charters who think its a good opportunity to get blind rotten drunk and start acting like idiots out at sea, as long as the skipper plays out his duty of care, he cannot be held responsible. Operators can confiscate alcohol, exclude members of the party, but if its too out of control, they can just turn round and go home, not losing out on any dollars. Some may think its bad publicity for them, but I can honestly say that if a skipper can take control of a situation like that, to keep everyone's safety in mind, then I wouldn't hesitate booking them for a charter it just shows responisibilty and that they do look after their customers.

Yeah, i personally wouldn't want to have to be responsible for a bunch of people blind wrotten drunk. A couple of drinks are fine, but sun + salt + booze = dangerous time. I've always set the rule on my boat, couple of drinks are fine, but not any more than a couple, esp during the day. If peopel don't like it, they can get their own boat and go fishing by themselves.

Drinking on my boat is Ok as long as its in moderation.
    Never take more than a 30 pack of midstrength per trip though.

G'day Maztez,

We usually have some holy water with us for the occassional moment of communion but only ever to celebrate a great fish or in moderation.

I'd reckon if anyone was tucking in, as Skipper I'd have to get unpopular and put them in their place.

If I was running a Charter, I reckon I'd have to spell it out at the point of making the booking the way it is. I'd have to knock any illegal activity on the head though, as the skipper, the buck for personal safety stops here. As Dave (Blackened) experienced - just imagine the public liability debacle if that bloke had drowned or had been taken by a noah.

I reckon you're plenty right to be asking the question

Cheers

Rhys
    Last edited by revs57; 17-11-2007 at 05:12 PM.

I have seen guys spewing and shitting themselves drunk on charters before . I just had a good giggle at the drunken state of them. Why waste your time on the water drinking is my opinion. Less casts in. I agree with the whole duty of care deal though.

I feel sorry for those pro skippers who have to take on the additional liability of customers who consume alcohol on board.
    Must be a nightmare, to say the least!
    My boat would be one where I supplied the alcohol, and thus controlled both the amount consumed and when, most probably on the trip home!
    Better still, a purely 'dry' boat. I'm sure there would be a market niche for this.
    Hey, if you want to drink, go to the pub, if you want to fish, welcome aboard!
    Still, I'm not a charter skipper, or in the charter business, probably just as well, I'd go broke in a minute by the sounds!
    Cheers.

Hey Terry,
    as you all well know i don't even drink and i still throw a load of burley out and shit myself
    A good question asked and duty of care is everything these days as we all know.
    Graeme

I'm sorry I just don't get it????

Why would you pay...." a substantial amount of money" to hire a charter boat and an experipenced crew that should be capable of giving you the best chance you may ever get at catching "serious fish"
    then get pissed such that you arent at you absolute athletic and mental best to take best advantage of your investment.

Don't worry too much about the skipper.... he has right of controll.... what about the others on the charter that went with the intention of catching the fish of a life time....... and had their enjoyment stolen.

cheers

I dont think iv ever been on a charter without an esky of beer. Of course there is a limit but its part of having a day on the water with your mates. When im skipper on my own boat i dont drink. But with an experienced crew and skipper i have no problem with having a few drinks. Baring in mind that there is always the chance you will have to swim. Should never be blind at sea but a few beers all day on a charter. Bring it on!
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Drinking on my boat is Ok as long as its in moderation.
    Never take more than a 30 pack of midstrength per trip though.

lol long trip ay?

don mind a beer, glass of red or a good whisky on the rocks but not on the baot for a day trip, my deckies airnt allowed to bring any on board. On over night trips I will supply a coupke of stubbies or cans per person that way I have control of it. Dont have any arguements from any of them. As for people drinking on charters, give me a dry boat any day as I go to fish not drink.
    cheers
    blaze

I'd hate to see the media reports if some one did die due to over drinking on a charter boat. Those blokes don't mind stretching the truth allot and the general public tend to believe all of it. The decky’s and skipper would be strung out to dry even if it wasn’t entirely their fault.
    Decky’s aren’t meant or hired to be bouncers. Sorry but I don’t agree with allowing anyone to get pissed aboard any vestal.