Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Fishing For a Cause!

Re: Fishing For a Cause!

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    G'day again people, I have been in contact with Herm (Janine) and some personal family matters will prevent us from meeting at her place for a little while so I was thinking we could meet at a quiet little coffee shop somewhere to get things started. Please put in some suggestions for a centrally located coffee shop that everyone will be happy to drive to hopefully. If I don't see anything posted up I will find somewhere and PM those who said they would be willing to help out.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Poo, my place is fairly large so you're welcome to meet here as I'm available all the time, am a good caterer, and can facilitate at a moments notice.

I'm not (nowadays) one for rolling up the sleeves and getting stuck in, in a crowd, but I am good at 'working behind the scenes". If there's anything that I can do such as typing, mail shots, or even "reception duties" such as being available for incoming phone calls, just give me a yell, and I'll oblige.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

It is warming to see so many kindred people getting behind this. I think it will be great. Maybe with some expert graphic artistry (Mike) we can get a logo or similar together for when we go to market looking for sponsors.

I have had a quick crack at it (see attached).
    Cheers,
    Chris

Poodroo,

Can i just mention something this had been in the pipe line but wording was slightly different "Fishing for the Cure" I pushed and pushed for it to occur but it just didnt get anywhere. I had been speaking to Steve Starling about this in relation to our kids camps " Multiple Sclerosis Society of Qld" so maybe you could have a chat with Starlo.
    Basically if you want a hand i would love to chat about this as over all i think the fishing world would and has gladly donated to charities but it has not been tapped into.
    Sent you a PM with my email address.

Regards Mick

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Poo, my place is fairly large so you're welcome to meet here as I'm available all the time, am a good caterer, and can facilitate at a moments notice.

I'm not (nowadays) one for rolling up the sleeves and getting stuck in, in a crowd, but I am good at 'working behind the scenes". If there's anything that I can do such as typing, mail shots, or even "reception duties" such as being available for incoming phone calls, just give me a yell, and I'll oblige.

kev
    Thanks heaps Kev. I will PM you to get some details from you re: address etc and tee up a time to gather some troops to meet up with. Trust me I think the "behind the scenes" people are equally as valuable in organizations as the hands on people so I can utilize your services nicely I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Puff_Daddy View Post
    It is warming to see so many kindred people getting behind this. I think it will be great. Maybe with some expert graphic artistry (Mike) we can get a logo or similar together for when we go to market looking for sponsors.

I have had a quick crack at it (see attached).
    That's not bad at all Puff. I hope you saved that to disc because we may well end up using it. Question: Was that done in your time or work time????

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Poodroo,

Can i just mention something this had been in the pipe line but wording was slightly different "Fishing for the Cure" I pushed and pushed for it to occur but it just didnt get anywhere. I had been speaking to Steve Starling about this in relation to our kids camps " Multiple Sclerosis Society of Qld" so maybe you could have a chat with Starlo.
    Basically if you want a hand i would love to chat about this as over all i think the fishing world would and has gladly donated to charities but it has not been tapped into.
    Sent you a PM with my email address.

Regards Mick
    Thanks Mick. Yeah there have been a few suggestions to me that this idea is not original but having not seen it myself before it was a new idea to me anyhow.
    I am keen to get it going and the difference with the idea now than when it was bought up several years ago before my time is that there is a hell of a lot more members on the forum now compared to then so my theory is that the idea stands more chances of success because of more help on offer for starters and possibly more people willing to get in and fish to support a cause. I cannot disclose too much info at this stage but I have already lined up a possible HUGE grand prize and a possible huge sponsor. More details will follow eventually once I can get this running with the support of my fellow Ausfish members.

Regards,

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Brett1907 View Post
    Poodroo, just some suggestions about sponsorship. Definately do what you are thinking and others have suggested, get money/prizes from bigger companies involved in the fishing/boating organisation. Without this the event would not happen. My suggestion is have different classes of financial sponsorship, say $200.00, $500.00, $1000.00 and size the banners accordingly. I am a small company (6 employees) and would be interested in sponsoring the event, but would be unable to put forward too much money. The $500.00 would probably be about it at this stage, but who knows.

Naturally the major sponsor would get branding rights, but maybe the smaller guys get a small sticker placed on the boats too. This is how we did it on my fathers Variety Bash car. The more a sponsor put in, the bigger the sticker. Everyone entering was happy to display the sticker packs, and they can come off after the event if the boaties don't want to keep them.

Also, would the fisher-people need to be a member of a club to enter the comp? I am not a member of any club, and neither are most of the guys I know, but they may be interested in entering this comp. It would be a pity to exclude them (ME!!!) on this basis.

Have you thought of line classes, or just fish what you bring? I wouldn't mind 'Fish what you bring', cause that would encourage the less experienced people out there who only have basic fishing gear and knowledge. And those more experienced people should be able to get bigger fish on lighter line than the newbies anyway.

I may also be able to lend a hand setting up or transporting gear for the day, but probably can't help with commitee/organising. Have two utes with tow bars and access to a couple of trailers.

Now heres the hard part... those organising the event probably won't get to go fishing. That includes those offering help transporting gear and setting up.

Anyway, PM me if you need anything.

Brett
    Okay Brett thanks heaps for the suggestions. I will certainly call upon you for sponsorship seeing as you are offering but whether the offering is $500 or $50,000 I consider the sponsorship equally as valuable. Of course the companies that give more will expect more which kind of goes without saying. No the people entering will not have to be a member of any clubs as such but my initial thought was to make the competition open for any Ausfish member so that it will get the Ausfish community name and spirit out into the community as a great bunch of people doing a huge good deed. Some big prizes are already on offer to me and some big sponsorship is already in the pipeline which I will hopefully be able to finalize and disclose details in the near future. I have a considerable ammount of people offering their services for help which I am greatful for and it looks like this whole idea is going to take off bigtime. To me it is like hopping into a V8 Supercar after driving a Datsun 120Y. Kind of taking off quickly and taking me by surprize but once the power is harnessed it will be controlled.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Hey Poodroo - the idea came to me at home, but I didn't get the final design done until lunchtime today.So I borrowed a little time from work to get it published.

Anyway keen to see what you have come up with mate. Any ideas of time for this w/end yet? Am keen to get the boat wet so and working around things about when to go.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Puff,
    I like it, it has legs mate, Ive spoken to some of the graphics guys at work, they will happily come up with some stuff, mind if we use yours as a starting point ? What it also needs is an integrated media campaign. Once its all sorted and locked down y the committee it will start to rock and roll
    cheers
    Mike

Hey Mike,

For 5mins work it came out as an OK starting point. More than happy for it to be a rough-in for comment/design.

I would love to help out with the media/marketing for this with you once we get the committee thing up and going and if the committee are OK with us doing it.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Puff, no problems mate, be a pleasure

Mike

Alright. We have a definite venue being Kingtin's (Kev's) place. I was thinking if it was okay with everyone perhaps an early afternoon on Sunday might be the go? This will give the sleepy heads time to sleep in on Sunday and wet a line on Saturday seeing as Seabreeze is predicting a corker for Saturday. If Sunday suits I will PM everyone the address to meet at so long as it is okay with Kev as well.

Regards,

Poodroo

No worries with me mate. Ready and raring to go.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Alright. We have a definite venue being Kingtin's (Kev's) place. I was thinking if it was okay with everyone perhaps an early afternoon on Sunday might be the go? This will give the sleepy heads time to sleep in on Sunday and wet a line on Saturday seeing as Seabreeze is predicting a corker for Saturday. If Sunday suits I will PM everyone the address to meet at so long as it is okay with Kev as well.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Fine by me mate Let me know numbers.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Guys,

Any chance of changing the charity beneficiary. These rabid anti smokers are already well funded, don't do much actual cancer research, and are essentially opposed to the freedom that fishing represents.

There is no way I would support them. That goes for the heart mob too.

How about surf life savers?

Quote Originally Posted by John_R View Post
    Guys,

Any chance of changing the charity beneficiary. These rabid anti smokers are already well funded, don't do much actual cancer research, and are essentially opposed to the freedom that fishing represents.

There is no way I would support them. That goes for the heart mob too.

How about surf life savers?
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind there John? Of course they are opposed to smoking, the single most preventable cause of cancer, and they do not do any cancer research, they allocate competitively funded grants to support research. And opposed to fishing and freedom . Whatever you reckon.

I am a scientist by preofession and work in Cancer Research. I have had grants from QCF for travel to conferences and they give some grants to support research.

Nothing wrong with giving money to QCF, same goes for any other charity. Lifesavers is also a good cause. But there is no reason to bag QCF with that sort of rubbish.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Jeremy - prove it. As a scientist, I would expect you to demand proof before accepting grandoise and sweeping statements. I have good reason to believe that you have no credible evidence to support your statement.

I don't want to get into any great argument with you again. I will give you that QCF may do some good work with cancer, but would not ever assist them because of their complicity in the promotion of hatred of smokers and laws designed to oppress them.