Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Fishing For a Cause!

Re: Fishing For a Cause!

Quote Originally Posted by John_R View Post
    Guys,

Any chance of changing the charity beneficiary. These rabid anti smokers are already well funded, don't do much actual cancer research, and are essentially opposed to the freedom that fishing represents.

There is no way I would support them. That goes for the heart mob too.

How about surf life savers?
    This is one of the reasons that I no longer am actively involved with charity work It was only a matter of time before someone disagreed with the beneficiary, but that's ok.........we're all entitled to our opinions eh?

Poo, you're gonna need a medal by the time this is all over

I think that what we have to remind ourselves of here, is that this is as much about raising the profile of fisherfolk as it is about who gets the money raised. Just because one disagrees with a beneficiary does that mean you cut off your nose to spite your face when failure to become involved deprives you of a chance to simply have a good time? That's your prerogative, but others may feel about the life savers worthiness, just as much as you do about the Cancer or Heart Foundation. Just because you disagree with QCF's attitude to smoking or smokers, doesn't mean that they are any less a worthy cause than any other organisation.

From experience, I can tell you that both those organisations have been in the forefront of many advances in treatment (albeit perhaps indirectly) and again, many of those advances have relied heavily on voluntary contributions from similar event(s) as is trying to be organised here.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

J

but would not ever assist them because of their complicity in the promotion of hatred of smokers and laws designed to oppress them.
    Sorry John but the laws aren't designed to oppress smokers, they're designed to protect non-smokers.

I'll say no more after this statement, as I've seen these discussions time and time again, and as an oft lapsed, and only recently ex-smoker, I would only be accused of preaching

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Guys,

Any chance of changing the charity beneficiary. These rabid anti smokers are already well funded, don't do much actual cancer research, and are essentially opposed to the freedom that fishing represents.

There is no way I would support them. That goes for the heart mob too.

How about surf life savers?
    you ever watched people deteriorate from cancer...every cent matters...same with heart disease..so pull ya head in.

What..support the life savers? what for..to ride inflatable boats thru the surf like maniacs.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    you ever watched people deteriorate from cancer...every cent matters...same with heart disease..so pull ya head in.

What..support the life savers? what for..to ride inflatable boats thru the surf like maniacs.
    Exactly my sentiments Pinhead. Thanks mate.

Well thanks John_R for your input however the decision stands and on this occassion the support will be aimed for the QCF. Cancer does not target smokers specifically remember although smoking has been attributed to being one of the leading causes. So if you do not wish to support that is purely your decision and I am personally fine with it but there is no reason to bag the cause. Simply zip it up and let us do our thing. I will post up meeting details next post.

Regards,

Poodroo

First meeting for the fund raiser to be held at Kingtin's (Kev's) place at:-
    106 Barbour Road, Bracken Ridge.
    This Sunday 8th. July, 2007.
    Time:- 2pm.
    For further details contact me via PM or phone me on 0412729231.
    Please let me know asap if you can make it to the meeting so I can give numbers to the host.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 05-07-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Yes I have seen people deteriorate from cancer. That smoking has anything to do with it is the actual issue.

If they spent all their funds on battling cancer I would fully support them.

Anyone interested in why I come to my conclusions can google forces.org, Lauren Colby, Michael Seigel. Passive smoke fraud etc.

You guys can support any charity you like - just be aware that some are not what they seem.
    Last edited by John_R; 05-07-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Jeremy - prove it. As a scientist, I would expect you to demand proof before accepting grandoise and sweeping statements. I have good reason to believe that you have no credible evidence to support your statement.
    I don't have to prove anything to you, and I sure ain't about to spend a couple of hours pulling research articles. It is however, widely accepted that 'smoking is the single most preventable cause of cancer'. Your other statements are also ill founded and ignorant.

I don't want to get into any great argument with you again.
    What?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

See ya there mate. Anything we need to bring?? (obviosuly beside my handsome self!)
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Puff_Daddy View Post
    See ya there mate. Anything we need to bring?? (obviosuly beside my handsome self!)
    Well I think if everyone brings a little something then we won't need to burden Kev too much to cater for us unless he insists we don't bring anything

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Well I think if everyone brings a little something then we won't need to burden Kev too much to cater for us unless he insists we don't bring anything

Poodroo
    As long as there's not 200 of yer I don't mind. I've got a freezer full of stuff since I stopped fostering.........Mini pies, sausage rolls, bits and bobs and Lord help yer .................the deckie is day off and she was just saying how she hasn't baked a cake for 10 yrs or so If you wear dentures.........glue 'em in

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    As long as there's not 200 of yer I don't mind. I've got a freezer full of stuff since I stopped fostering.........Mini pies, sausage rolls, bits and bobs and Lord help yer .................the deckie is day off and she was just saying how she hasn't baked a cake for 10 yrs or so If you wear dentures.........glue 'em in

kev
    Gold Kev. I don't have dentures yet but I may want to get some old fillings redone just in case huh?

Look forward to meeting you on Sunday.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

Actually the Surf Lifesavers do do a great job of pulling out all the tourists who get caught in the rips by not obeying the "Bathe between the flag" rules. We need them because the tourist dollars help keep Australia greedy!

Poodroo

Kev I sent the meeting details off via PM to all those who expressed an interest in helping out so hopefully the time suits them and they get back to me soon if they are able to make it. So far it is myself and Big_Puff_Daddy so it is looking like we are going to have more cake to ourselves. Lol

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I don't have to prove anything to you, and I sure ain't about to spend a couple of hours pulling research articles. It is however, widely accepted that 'smoking is the single most preventable cause of cancer'. Your other statements are also ill founded and ignorant.

What?

Jeremy
    At one time it was widely accepted that the earth is flat. My statements are based on convincing evidence that your reams of studies are junk and purposely fraudulent. I would suggest that your statements are ill-founded and ignorant, but since they are PC you get away with them.

Don't spend hours but do some research with the links I gave earlier. Then think about it and apply some common sense/skepticism.

I think it was Jeremy87 who abused me last year for daring to question the ideology, so apologies for the "again".