Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing For a Cause!

Re: Fishing For a Cause!

steve as a quick note which may save some time in the morning,,,, did the insurance cover the entire event,,,, or just the pre and post event,,,,

what i mean in simple terms,,,, can a disclaimer be part of the coverage of the competition,,, and that in turn allows cover for any liability to be costed at the pre function and at the post function only,,,

i'm sure that work had a similar coverage to a sale event that we held were a comp was run outside of the dealership,,, but liability only covered participants whilst under the sanction of our rooftop with pre and post functions

a disclaimer from participants covered the main comp,,,,,

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

choppa..when I was looking I got all the info from the cancer fund...you must sign with them that you absolve them from any and all liability..you must accept all risks if it makes a loss or if there is a claim against the organisers. I checked with my insurance broker and the insurance was very high as Steve mentioned..plus I was informed also that no disclaimer can go against a common law claim...I am not a lawyer but that was the advice I was given...so by then I decided it was not worth the risk and as Steve also mentioned..you need a lot of people to break even on the event. If there is some way around trhose items then it could be a good thing. I would hate to see someone lose everything because of a claim against them or the event runs at a big loss.

I think its a great idear poodroo i was president of sunny coast 4wd club some years back and we used to run a 3 day 4wd event at yandina it took up a lot of time organise money raised went to charity [ flying doctor , S E S , rural fire , childerens ward nambour hospital ,ect ] at that time if it was non profit event we got a cheaper rate on public liability because of donations to charitys not sure if its still like that now with all the litergations that have been going on but i will try to find out what insurance company we delt with and let you know if that will help ...... BOB

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    choppa..when I was looking I got all the info from the cancer fund...you must sign with them that you absolve them from any and all liability..you must accept all risks if it makes a loss or if there is a claim against the organisers. I checked with my insurance broker and the insurance was very high as Steve mentioned..plus I was informed also that no disclaimer can go against a common law claim...I am not a lawyer but that was the advice I was given...so by then I decided it was not worth the risk and as Steve also mentioned..you need a lot of people to break even on the event. If there is some way around trhose items then it could be a good thing. I would hate to see someone lose everything because of a claim against them or the event runs at a big loss.
    thanks greg,,,, and your right in what you say re cancer fund,,,, which is basically what i placed in my response,,,, i know how they operate due to the point i'm in the fund,,,,

points also taken re the insurance covers,,,but in the back of my mind there is something that work had that allowed the competition to run with no coverage for the participants until they returned back to the dealership for the wrap up,,,

participants had to show that there vehicles were covered with insurance/ctp etc which i suppose gave the organisers a loop hole for the disclaimers to be utilised,, not saying your not right re disclaimers,,, i'm like you,,, normally leave this for the legal eagles to sort out

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

as some of you would know I have been the president of the Brisbane Sportfishing Club for several years and have quite a bit of experience with running our annual comp.

Just to give you some ideas of what is involved, you need to organise.......
    1. rules for the comp - where, when, how and what prize categories
    2. venue to cater for what you want to do
    3. sponsorship for prizes etc
    4. insurance to cover PL & PI
    5. date and make sure it does not clash with other major events or other fishing comps
    6. charity
    7. media coverage

ALOT of work, expecially when different people have different ideas about how they want it to run. You need at least 3-4 months lead up time to organise all this. You will not be able to get insurance and sponsors until they know how the comp will run etc.

Good idea, but it might be more work that you realised. There have been a few good ideas posted on Ausfish recently but nothing has come of them because nobody is prepared to get behind them and do the necessary work.

Hope you get it going.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I've got to say it's refreshing to know that there's fisherman out there that actually realise what's slowly happening to our fisheries & aren't playing "F'n" dump to what's actually happening! And calling it their right to bag up or whatever... I might actually stay on this site.. It's our sport & our meditation.. Let's keep it special & keep it alive!

Poo now that you've stuck you foot in it i'll give you a hand in any way that I can.

OKay just a quick note for all those interested. Once again I am really blown away by just how many responses this thread has generated already and once again thanks to all who have replied. Some very possitve feedback thus far. Too many people to thank individually so it is easier to say thanks to everyone. Some early planning has already been undertaken and so far I am remaining very possitve as to the outcome of it. I am going to draft up a plan outlining more details about the proposed event which I will post up most likely this coming weekend. I am going to need a lot of help with this I know so I will need to form a committee that will be dedicated to help me make it happen. Anyway people, I will post up more on the weekend. Any more ideas are welcome so keep them coming.

Regards,

Poodroo

great idea poodroo .
    hope that you get it off the ground .
    charities need all the help thay can get .
    cheers fae haggis ................

Top Snodger Poodroo

Here are a few idea's to get you underway.

1. Entry could be $15
    2. Prizes are donated by Sponsors...Note: Sponsor's like return for investment from exposure so pick industry based sponsors first.
    3. Try some of the bigger boating insurance companies for your Public Liability! In return you can promote their insurance to the broader boating industry (Maybe Mr. Ausfish will sponsor you a banner ad for them). That may help bring the cost down.
    3. You need a HOOK...and not one to catch a fish. One that will make every red blooded male want to drag out his anything that will float and enter. This is the key as it will attract the sponsors, the entrants and the charities.
    4. Why one charity....perhaps you could choose a few. You will be amazed at how influential charities can be. Many will help you as much as you help them. There are plenty of charities associated with boating and water...Lifesavers and VMR spring to mind.
    5. Share the load. Great to see so many people sticking their hand up to help. So get a steering committee together, then develop a plan and then call upon your fellow Ausfish folk to help. I sure will help where I can.
    6. Oh and don't forget a prize for the smallest recorded catch....I will win that one.

Regards

BilgeBoy

OKay here is a rough outline for the fund raiser event but I will only be able to give a rough idea of when it will be held at this point because some more research is needed as far as what other events I will need to work around.
    There are going to be several classes in the competition and with more ideas that come through I am sure to be adding to the categories.
    PURPOSE: To raise necessary funds for The Qld.Cancer Fund.(If this hits off and becomes an annual event then we can chose a different charity each year)
    TIME: The event I hope to make a weekend event toward the end of the year as a big bang finish to 2007.(Maybe around November but open to suggestions)
    PLACE: Meet at Manly Harbour and event to be held in the bay.
    PRIZES: Yes there will be prizes but seeing as I have not chased up sponsors as yet the details for prizes will be made known at a later date but there is some great potential in the pipeline already.
    INSURANCE: There was a bit of concern about organizing public liabilty insurance so the inquiries so far with potential insurers has been based on at least 200 people which at least gives me a figure to work on. More details to follow.
    Classes: I will keep the kids separate from the adults so there will be prizes for all who enter.
    ADULT CATEGORIES
    1st.Prize: First prize will be for the largest and heaviest Snapper
    2nd. Prize: For the second largest Snapper
    3rd. Prize: For the third largest Snapper
    ADULT CATEGORIES OTHER SPECIES
    1st. Prize: Largest flathead
    2nd. Prize: Second largest flathead
    3rd. Prize: You guessed it, the third largest flathead.
    BREAM CATEGORY
    1st. Prize: Largest Bream
    2nd.Prize: To the second largest bream
    VERMIN
    There will be a prize for the person who brings in the largest Grinner. Lol
    KID'S ZONE
    All the categories for adults will also apply to the kids.

The biggest fish caught on the weekend will be awarded a grand prize in the adult zone only.

Now before anyone jumps on me for any imperfections in this rough outline of the proposed weekend fundraiser please consider that this is a first time for me to organize such an event so contructive critisism and ideas are more than welcome. I will need some helpers by way of an organizing committee so please PM me if you want to help me out. I do have a couple of people lined up already but this event is going to be potentially very big I feel so I will need lots of guidance.
    Last edited by Poodroo; 28-06-2007 at 07:13 AM.

A few years ago another *fish* forum held a Virtual fishing comp, the concept was brilliant IMO, from memory it relied on entered numbers being emailed or pm'd to the participants a short period before the event started then to submit a fish, that fish + the number needed to be displayed in a photograph along with a specific, common to all people object, like a potato peeler/biro etc.
    The entry fee would be to buy a number, a person could would choose whether to fish or not as per their normal recreational activity's but without a number they cannot submit a fish photo etc, etc

Categories did away with biggest in principle but relied on a short how caught as well as length so uniqueness of catch also, no reason why biggest wouldn't have a category also.
    Suspect that this would do away with insurance (although I do not know?) and would also involve Ausfish as the headquarters for picure and comment display for entry and would also allow the entire world (we have a fair few international members I noticed) to participate on their local species.
    This may not work if this is to be a provincial fishing comp, just a thought and would of coarse need fine tuning, I for one would be consider it great excuse to go fishing with my number and camera.

Does away with the fluffy don't eat argument (do what you would anyway), insurance etc and the comp could in theory run for a week even.

Just beautifull in its simplicity, not sure how it would work in practice.

just a thought

cheers fnq

I think FNQ has a point. A number issued to each competitor (maybe we can do a bragmat with the number on it? - Sponsor.....) and just do a photo with the fish on the bragmat. Does away with the "kill em to weigh em" issue or even how to live weigh a fish.

Hmmm food for thought.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Defineitely food for thought FNQ.....................poodroo, why not get together with us that have volunteered to help out. form a committee so to speak, Meet somewhere over morning tea say, and have a brain storming session?

Mike

Good idea Mike. I will have to see if I can borrow a brain for the morning.....
    Cheers,
    Chris