Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boating etiquet towards land fishos

Boating etiquet towards land fishos

hi all, I was fishing the creeks at beachmere today and these friendly couple o blokes in a tinny stopp right where my line is and start casting cast nets. Now correct me if I am wrong but the idea of owning a boat is going places that can't be reached by casting a line off the beach.

I don't mean to have a winge but cme on guys give us land based fishos a chance.

Should pick up my tinny next week, won't be doing that thats for sure.

See ya

Re: Boating etiquet towards land fishos

Well none of us own the waters, so technically we can fish where we want, Still ettiquette should come into it, and if someones got a patch of water, let them have it.

Mike

agreed - plenty of other patches they could've tried. bad manners as ar as im concerned. hope they didnt hang around too long.

cuzza

ditto, common sense really, but then again its a bit like being on a tinny fishing a patch and someone just rocks in,, you'll always get inconsiderate people, bit like my family at dinner, first in best dressed

Mike

Gee it is really good to hear that Beachmere has not changed over the last few years. Maybe next time you should try casting a little closer to the boat and see what you catch??

I have a story,
    At my old boat ramp there is a wharf for boaters to use and it is clearly labbelled "NO FISHING"
    Yet a forigner still saw the need to have 6 rods out. 2 at the end of the wharf and another 2 on either side of it. and i motored around to the wharf to pick up my mate and i yelled out to the guy "could you please wind in one of your rods for me" and he refused so i approached closer to the wharf and BANG woops there goes his line and sinker. so i picked up my mate in the area i now cleared and as i motored off he starting yelling at me.
    Please note it was an accident that i broke his line, but it did say no fishing.
    He proberly could read it cuase he was yelling at me in his native toungue.
    if i see a person fishing land based or in a boat i keep my distance as i know how annoying it can be, and those fellas in the tinny with the nets were in the wrong in that situation

thats all from me,

I had something similar happen when I was fishing off the jetty at Moreton many years ago, which is only for Tangalooma boats. There were kingfish and trevally running (it's been a long time since this happened!) and a bunch of blokes in a boat decided to get right in close to the jetty, within casting distance, so they could troll past. Here's 10 people at least standing on the jetty with slugs, all casting their hearts out (and had been doing so for some time) and some bloke decides to run his boat right through the school and right in their casting zone. Not surprisingly, they motored right over the school, scaring all the fish and there ended the days run.... safe to say they obviosuly weren't experienced boaties, but still a frustrating experience.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

If they don't move after giving them a gobfull chuck a stubby at the maggotts and see what happens......... Nothing like a bit of "Boat Rage"............. A snapper sinker placed in the right position would probably do the trick also................ not P.C I know but there are limits to what you should cop from inconsiderate airheads....................

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    If they don't move after giving them a gobfull chuck a stubby at the maggotts and see what happens......... Nothing like a bit of "Boat Rage"............. A snapper sinker placed in the right position would probably do the trick also................ not P.C I know but there are limits to what you should cop from inconsiderate airheads....................
    Quality advice that . Hope you can run quick Shaman if you ever try that yourself.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Very poor form on behalf of the boaties IMO.
    The mentality (or lack of it) was probably a "two against one", "he's only a young bloke", or similar excuse for lack of respect.
    No doubt they would be the first to complain if 3 blokes in a larger boat started fishing over the top of them...............
    Cheers mate, and er, I wouldn't recommend the sinker/stubbie attack, tempting tho' the idea may be!

you know what is annoying....people fishing at boat ramps. its fine as long as u realise to pull your lines in when someone is trying to launch or retrieve, but dont abuse me for dropping my tinny in right on top of your lines when u have watched me unpack and load the boat for 10 mins and still dont pull your line in...and u bastards that dont pull your line in when im trying to come in to the jetty. i nderstand a jetty is a great place to fish, but it was built so u could tie a boat up and run to the shitter or skip up to the bottlo for another 6 pack. in all seriousness, if you see someone trying to come into a ramp or jetty, pull your lines in for 2 mins so they can get in, then once they are in by all meens put your lines out again.

Re: Boating etiquette towards land fishos

Quote Originally Posted by sc0pe View Post
    you know what is annoying....people fishing at boat ramps. its fine as long as u realise to pull your lines in when someone is trying to launch or retrieve
    Yep, nothing better than having a line wrap around the motor and requiring you to pull the boat back out of the water to check it In most cases those on the jetty behave impeccably and get their lines out of the water but it's the one idiot that tends to stick in the mind. The one thing a few boaties need to learn is to avoid producing wash near those fishing on land.

or someone fishing in the middle of a rather tight part of a channel.

Keep a couple of snapper leads on hand, might change there views a bit

fishing is to relax and have fun. dont you think it would just be easier to move.
    well I would like to think that is what I would do but.......