Thread: Herring fly

Herring fly

Hey guys
    Ive just started tying fly's, this is one I just made. Used too much material but Im still kinda happy with it. It is supposed to imitate a green backed herring and its 10cm long so a small one. I used gliss and glow blended with slinky fibre, the first time ive used either and I like it, not to much flash when blended and nice and rigid. Green is a feather. It has a tiny amount of weight in it and tied on a size 2 hook, it was ment to be much smaller then 10cm hahahaha.

Will test it for fishability tonite lots of herring getting smashed up near me.
    Any constructive critisism please

Re: Herring fly

thats awesome i dont fly fish but i reckon that would work.

bee interesting to find out

That will work fine, it would be even more deadly built on a 4/0 to 6/0 worm hook too.

Jack.

Loophole you should give it a go

Jack why a worm hook? hook up or down?

I died a gold bomber on a worm hook upside down and it works well and is snag proof.

Tested it tonite but no hits. Holds its shape really really well though the green feather isnt as visible when wet.

Might tie one sparser with a few more feathers.

nice lookin fly
    looks like a one I buy from a shop!!!
    seeing herring getting smashed!! OHH WHAT A FEELING!!

i made a smaller one with more weight and thinner profile, the material wouold appear to float. The smaller one bounces across the bottom nice.Sofar no fish have had a go though (except some small jacks a bit bigger then the fly). Was casting right into the schools of herring. Tried all types of retrives slow fast etc.Would appear they are trevally of some sort as someone caught a 60cm one Might try a more diffuse fly.