Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass on fly Tournament

Exclamation Bass on fly Tournament

Hey guys I just thought I would put this post up letting everyone know about our clubs intention to host what I think is Australias first Bass on fly tounament.

You can check out the preliminary details here http://www.saltwaterflyfishers.org/p...ass-on-fly.php
    see what you reckon , it would be good to gauge what sort of interest we are goning to get for the organisation of the event.
    the ball is definatly rolling and we are possibly looking at hosting it around November this year.
    any ideas or input wouyld really help.

Chris

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Re: Bass on fly Tournament

Hey Chris. Looking forward to it. Count me in. September is a great time for Bass in SEQ as they are getting nice and fat and more active, apparently.??? Hopefully. Keep me informed.
    Cheers
    Billyboy

G'day chris.... i would love to be in that mate....the only thing is i don't have a boat . Am i the only person on Ausfish that doesn't have a boat

What about some sort of buddy system or something? Or do people who have boats are not keen on taking strangers (even if they were Ausfish members ). I've always had mates that have had boats...or fish from the bank. None of my mates in QLD have boats ...maybe i should find some that do

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion Bill , September is a great time for Bass on the sunny coast , it would be somthing to consider if we can get things moving quick enough.

Ed,
    the comp will more than likely be for two people too a boat ( the guy who's boat it aint being the non boater) this will be for insurance reasons , so when we get a little closer to the set date maybe put a post up here and see if someone can take you on board

Ed, I've got a 435 Hornet Trophy up for sale that is perfect for the smaller electric dams on the sunny coast here. Just a suggestion.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Ed, I've got a 435 Hornet Trophy up for sale that is perfect for the smaller electric dams on the sunny coast here. Just a suggestion.
    Bill
    Sniper....PM me the details, photo etc and i'll have a chat to the missus

Only thing is we have a camper trailer and i can't tow both at once unless i can put it on the roof of my 4WD or camper trailer (if i made up racks)??? What length is it?

Yeh thanks Chris...i'll do that when the time comes closer

Ed

ed, when i get off my arse and get my boat license i might be able to take ya cept we dont have an electric on it, but ill try and get some bass practice in before i agree to any tournament, ive gotta learn to fly fish yet!

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    ed, when i get off my arse and get my boat license i might be able to take ya cept we dont have an electric on it, but ill try and get some bass practice in before i agree to any tournament, ive gotta learn to fly fish yet!
    B_E_N...i was just about to PM u and ask that very thing?

I have only got back into fly fishing myself, after an eight year abscence....i know the basics but that is why i wanted to make the Toga school this weekend, hopefully Sunday. After this weekend i will be going up to Borumba (in the next month) with one of me roofing mates who has told me he has a boat. You are more than welcome to come, i'll PM you the details. He doesn't fly fish but is keen to throw some lures.

Chris....is Lake Macdonald more accessible to a land based fisho like myself? Or is it like Borumba, need a boat/canoe??

ED

sounds good ed, im only just getting into flyfishing, when i got my rod about 4 years ago i didnt know anyone that i could learn off so i lost interest pretty fast, but now that i have access to heaps of info from others on here im starting to get back my enthusiasim. lets just hope this rain stops so we have a chance to fish at boorumba this week!
    ive gotta get busy and finish off rebuilding my fly rod- hope it will look ok because i wasnt able to get the thread i wanted so i had to settle with metalic copper, pretty boring but fingers crossed it will look half decent on the brown blank! mgith post a pic tomorow of the progress.
    Last edited by B_E_N; 26-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.

We now have the go ahead from the relevent authorities and we are full steam ahead.
    The Date for the Comp will be 03/11/07
    Entry forms and other marketing details will be available within the next week or so .
    Whatch this space !!

Yep Sounds a good idear but electric waters only are tricky and from the toga on fly comps have always produced plenty of bass so I would love to see it at Borumba... I can see why maccy is a good choice, close and shore guys can work some of the banks. what about upper Noosa River base camp at harry hut? wild bass comp, theres a thought.

TT

Most of the Bass up in the Noosa would have been flushed downstream with the amount of rain we've had of late. Plus, having a comp on Noosa may put a lot of stain on the native population. Borumba is an option, but Macca's has some good fish in there, well, there was before the flood anyway, and has a grea surface bite. Comp is on track, now just got to sweet talk the fish into playing the game for us.
    Cheers
    Bill

Hi Chris,
    Well done to all the people putting this one together. I'm with the SEQFF's. Our next club meeting is on the 18th of Sept. We have a crew going up for the Toga comp, so no dought we will touch base there. Maccas sounds like an interresting spot. Given that it is electric power only, Can you leave your petrol donk on, up, and tank out on the Dam?
    Keep up the good work.

Jeff

i'm keen for comp; waiting for more info/rules, regs etc.
    coola

Thanks for the interest guys , myself and our clubs sub commitee are finalising details this week . I can tell you that it will be run on the sunday now (the 4th of November) and we have secured our first major sponser - GALEFORCE BOATS - with their support we will be giving away a boat , again we will have more details by the end of the week . Also this event will be affiliated with the ABT so keep an eye out as I will post details as soon as they come about.

Jeff , you can leave your motor on , but under no circumstances are you allowed to fire it up - we will be keen to see some of the Goldy crew there ,as always bragging rights are on the cards