Thread: Trailer harrows

Trailer harrows

Now I have a 4by I think these pesky bits of metal under my trailer will be a problem. In fact I towed my boat down a bumpy track behind a mates car and on the way out I noticed the marks these roller slide things left in the dirt.

Can I take to them with a grinder? If so will the ends of them be bare metal and therefore prone to rust? My mate Heath tells me the product known as 'Cold Gal' is the go and to buy the paint on version and slap on heaps. No doubt I will not be able to find this product up here in the sticks. I can't even buy a carton of Little Creatures Pale Ale, so somebody bring one of these to the M&G this year for God's sake!

I digress. Is the grinder the go?

Henno

Re: Trailer harrows

Yeah a grinder is the way to go a quick tack weld before applying cold gal wouldn't go astray. Any hardware will sell cold gal
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 23-06-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Mate
    the other thing to do would be to over sling your springs but your boat will sit higher making beach launches a little harder.You could also look at larger tyres as my worry would be if you are alredy making marks in the sand that means you are dragging the whole frame acrross the sand and the frame of the trailer is getting loaded up rather than the springs tyres etc.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

I thought about that as well 5cougars. I'll go the quick fix of whacking the tails off first and see how it goes. If the frame itself then touches I'll put the highest profile tyres for my rims on I spose.

It probably depends on how heavy the track is I'm on. There is one place where I have to go down a beach as a rule and then head north to a creek mouth. As a novice 4wder I can see this ending in tears and looking like that dufus doing the beach launch with the jetski I saw on a youtube link in here.

Henno,
    Sounds like good fun to me.If you use the cold gal i always put tectol over the top as well Cold gal to seal and stop the rust and the tectol seems to waterproof to a degree.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

Mark, just let nature take it's toll. The ' stumps ' will slowly get ground away until they hit the dirt no more. Then apply Cold Gal, Tectyol, Lanotec etc.

The trailer on ReBait has these stumps and drags it's bum through the sand on every beach, but hey , so what. It's not causing any damage other than filing off the stumps. Then again, if you're worried about catching these stumps on tree roots around certain NP's up your way, just cut them off.

I personally don''t like the idea of raising the trailer ( springs over axle ). Does lift a centre of gravity, harder to beach launch and you have to go further down the ramp to ramp launch.

Maybe the higher profile tyres are the go.

OH, btw, I got the subdifusion....... second post, para 2, line 2

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here