Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sandy straight Longtail

Cool sandy straight Longtail

Hi guys I just thought I would show off one of my Tuna caught on the combined club trip between the Sunshine coast flyrodders and the South East Queensland Flyrodders over the weekend. The Tuna were thick in places but pretty fussy ,this snodger was a single fish just cruising , but they were schooling pretty hard also I will put a full repoprt up including succesfull techniques on the club web site soon ,including pics from other members members
    Last edited by flyfisho; 20-06-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Re: sandy straight Longtail

Nice fish Chris ...was that an 8 wgt?

Is Borumba still on for that date???

Ed

Nice fish!
    Have you got a link to the site your referring to.
    LM

Paul Dolan from Fraser Coast Sport Fishing Charters has been successful getting international clients onto Longtail Tuna on fly & lure around Hervey Bay & the Great Sandy Straits lately.

See the reports -

www.frasercoastsportfishing.com

Cheers
    James

Ed , I would still be there if that was an 8 weight , No mate it was a loomis GLX 10/11 mega my favourite rod excelent lifting power , but it still took 40 min. And Yes mate the club is still goint to hold the Toga school Borumba at the end of the month , you'll be there Mate ?

LM , the site is the Sunshine Coast Flyfishers website, it hasn't been updated for a couple of weeks but I will be putting a heap more info up in the next week , see what you reckon now but come back and check it after the weekend
    http://www.saltwaterflyfishers.org/p...ge-gallery.php

Nice fish mate. I went past you several times on that day, they were very fussy.
    Ended up with three my self and the first one was hooked when you were just 40 meter,s away.
    But here is the latest news on them today. I was the only boat out there today and the weather was very bad, but that didn't stop them, they were still hitting the bait fish like mad.
    But here is good news. Two giant schools moved in from outside at 3.00pm this arvo and they had no fear of the boat. 9 hookups and only one too show for the day. 5kgs.
    What I lost would have brought tears to your eyes, There were sum big bulls in the packs and two had me chasing them up and down for at least 2 hours but lost them in the end.
    Guess weight, 15 to 20kgs.

minno

whats this toga school thing coming up?

Hey Ben,
    The Toga School is held bt the sunny coast club and we are teaching people who havn't fished for toga with fly, how to catch em, you don't need a boat but you will need the gear and we (some of the more experianced guys of the club) will hang with you and try to put you onto your first toga or three , it is on on the 30th of June and the 1st of july at lake Borumba , you can make it a day trip or you can make it a overnighter there will be some of us camping at the camp grounds. we have already had one last month and there were a few people who hadn't caught toga before get their first Toga. Between trips we disscuss at the meetings what worked what didn't and how to improve on it , its what some people need to take the fluke out of it , it helps me. everyone is welcome if your interested Ben Pm me you email, I will be letting everyone know the details via email so that we have got an idea of numbers.
    Don't let anyone tell you they shut down over winter , they are actualy more visible making them a perfect sight casting target , plus the water level is right down and it awsome fishing when those fish get concentrated
    any on else who is intereted in club events feel free to PM me your email to get on the clubs mail list and you will be kept up to date on club events

Minno- sounds like it hasn't slowed down then I will probaly catch you up there again when the tide gets big again around the moon , wave us down and come and say hello next time.
    15 - 20 kg fish !! there were some snodgers in amongst them , the one in the pic was around 15 kg

Chris....sorry about the 8wgt, i got to get trout fishing out of my head .

Mate...my rod is a 6wgt, i think, will i get smashed by the Toga or should the rod be able to handle it. I have a floating line, that should be all right hey?

Can you have a look at my thread about the pre manufactured leader/tippet and give me your opinion?

I should be there for the whole weekend in my camper trailer, i just need to finalise a few things prior.

Ed

Fly fisho. No worries mate will do. The longtail that just came in had no fear of the boat. I had them all round me and at times, I didn't know where to cast. But the big torpedo's were hanging around the edges with the 5 to 10 kgs in the middle of the school.
    Nicely done on the 15kgs job. I will have to watch next time just to see how you bring them in on fly rod. It must be long battle.

minno

Ed ,
    I had a look at your post and replied I hope that helps you,
    I use a 5 weight at borumba and at the last club outing last month I got a 82 cm Toga in and landed , you will have no worries with a six they are not dirty fighters , but on the other hand you might get smoked by a Bass , but thats part of the fun. I only fish a floating line there for Toga and a subsurface fly .
    I will outline the prefered gear when I send out the email

Nice toona Chrispy! Have ya tried making a fly to imitate the quick bee yet? Reckon that might get a bit of interest off the Borumba toga's.

Later
    Toges

The wheels are in motion Tim , I have been testing it out in the dam , I am going to test it out in the Ewan Maddock over the weekend -I am close

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Who is Toges ?

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org