Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying bait West Brisbane

Re: Buying bait West Brisbane

I think there is a good place at redbank in ipswicth not to far into ipswitch though. they sell alll frozen bait and live works. i think it is called chareltons fishing N bait. or sumthing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    Hey Rob, dunno if you are aware of the risks with using supermarket bought prawns for bait? (If from overseas) They can potentially introduce prawn specific diseases that could decimate our local prawns. There have even been DPI warnings about this.

By all means eat them if you want, but don't use raw foreign prawns for bait.

(Cooked apparently is not so bad)

Cheers
    Yeah, thats true, I always pay a fair bit extra to get the Australian ones.

Rob

been told that the seafood shop behind the pool at Jindalee is pretty good, and the price is said to be alright as well.

it's within 400m of the Western freeway

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    No point if they're fresh Rob. The main point of salting is to toughen the bait, but squid is tough enough.

I'll be controversial here, (again) and state that I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to salt bait, although I agree with "each to his own". When you spend thousands on tackle and rigs, why scrimp on finding the best bait available.
    Salting draws moisture from the bait and this moisture is the baits natural juices ie berley. Salted bait has less "attractant" and is more quickly "washed out" than frozen or fresh bait.
    kev
    Very true Kev, with one exception, Pippies. Salt them and leave in a bucket with the lid on overnight, or in the friddge for a while, dont freeze them. They will really stink but stay on the hook much better and outfish fresh pippies by a mile.

Charleton Tackle and Bait near the Redbank Plains exit on the Is a Bitch motorway is a good if you are out that way. Staff are all keen fishermen, I cant really vouch for the bait, but probably your best bet out that way.

Mate if you are looking in Brisbane check out http://www.baitdirect.com.au - looks like a new option

I'm assuming you own this company?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by uqsmilla View Post
    Mate if you are looking in Brisbane check out http://www.baitdirect.com.au - looks like a new option
    Wow, you resurrected a 9 1/2 year old post for that?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    Hey Rob, dunno if you are aware of the risks with using supermarket bought prawns for bait? (If from overseas) They can potentially introduce prawn specific diseases that could decimate our local prawns. There have even been DPI warnings about this.

By all means eat them if you want, but don't use raw foreign prawns for bait.

(Cooked apparently is not so bad)

Cheers

Seems not everyone has taken this advice.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Kind of funny how years later, we are in deep shit, when we were adequately warned, yet still imported this rubbish that has now bitten us on the bum...hard!

Check out 'What's the catch' on SBS on demand and you'll think twice about buying any seafood from overseas.