Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying bait West Brisbane

Buying bait West Brisbane

Hi Guys,

I usually just get what I need from bcf near my house, or get my prawns from woolies, but where is the best place to get my bait from. I'm after some good quality squid, doesn't have to be fresh as I will have to freeze most of it anyway. I'm willing to go for a drive, where can I get some decent squid from around Brisbane? Or should I just keep getting the frozen stuff from BCF?

I need some pillies too and tips on where I should get them from.

Thanks

rob

Re: Buying bait West Brisbane

Raptis Markets at Colmslie or fish factory down the raod at Lytton Rd Morningside near where you go into the hopckey centre

or the seafood shop next to leisure marine

Mike

if your on the north side morgans at redcliffe is the go.

Thanks for the input guys, I will probably hit up Raptis as its on the way to work.

Cheers

Rob

marlin mike,

does raptis sell pillies ? are they any good ?

thanks in advance

cheers

fish guts

hey rob,

let us know how the pillies and squid go from raptis.

cheers

fish guts

Does anyone have any tips on freezing squid, should I salt them first?

No problems Fish Guts, I will be heading in over the weekend so I will let you know how I get on. I'm not sure if they stock pillies though...?

Thanks

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Guts View Post
    marlin mike,

does raptis sell pillies ? are they any good ?

thanks in advance

cheers

fish guts
    not sure if raptis has pillies.Try bait online. he had good pillies at a good price

mike
    Last edited by Marlin_Mike; 21-06-2007 at 05:05 AM.

the fish factory has bait as well as eating fish

Well the report from Raptis is that nothing ever goes to plan. Ran into some troubles trying to get a spare wheel for the boat trailer and didnt end up having time to drop in at Raptis, going to have to settle for the same as usual. Still having problems with tyres for the bloody trailer, they are little 12inch ones specifically used on trailers as they bolt right onto the axle... grrrrr

Sorry guys

Rob

Bait online is the go, honest and they wont dick you around (pick up is at Manly if i remember right)

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoesFish View Post
    Hi Guys,

......... or get my prawns from woolies, but where is the best place to get my bait from. ..........................
    Thanks

rob
    Hey Rob, dunno if you are aware of the risks with using supermarket bought prawns for bait? (If from overseas) They can potentially introduce prawn specific diseases that could decimate our local prawns. There have even been DPI warnings about this.

By all means eat them if you want, but don't use raw foreign prawns for bait.

(Cooked apparently is not so bad)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Try bait online. he had good pillies at a good price

mike
    15KGs WA IQF $56.00.
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Boese View Post
    15KGs WA IQF $56.00.
    What the??????!!!!!

You sell bait, Shane? Why would you be publishing Bait on Line's price?

In fact, I buy lots of pillies from you at 2kg a time because your quality is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoesFish View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on freezing squid, should I salt them first?

Rob
    No point if they're fresh Rob. The main point of salting is to toughen the bait, but squid is tough enough.

I'll be controversial here, (again) and state that I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to salt bait, although I agree with "each to his own". When you spend thousands on tackle and rigs, why scrimp on finding the best bait available. The only time that I would salt was if the quality of pillies available, was that bad, that I would have to toughen 'em up to make 'em stay on the hook when beach fishing and I have to admit, that of late, the quality has been crap and I have travelled miles to find decent ones .........Terrys...........Brents........Tweed..... ....bait online.........all soft on thawing, at the moment. Decent pillies should be firm on thawing and should have no skin scuffed or missing. I've been told that it is inevitable that they will be scuffed, broken or marked by collection or packaging but I remember clearly that 3 yrs ago and before, there was beautifully preserved IQF pillies to be had, firm, with hardly any marks, but rarely now

But I digress.......again

Having once been a pro bait supplier in the UK, I upped my customer base by open freezing most of my summer surplus (to sell in winter) whilst other suppliers were salting ...........frozen was far superior and natural and attracted more clients.

Salting draws moisture from the bait and this moisture is the baits natural juices ie berley. Salted bait has less "attractant" and is more quickly "washed out" than frozen or fresh bait.

Just my opinion, and pretty worthless at that, considering that we have to simply make do with what we can get most of the time My cast net is my best friend atm

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.