Thread: Rods on major airlines? or post em?

Rods on major airlines? or post em?

I have 2 fishing rods I need to transport for a fishing trip im headed on(woohoo).

My problem is I am flying from home down to meet my mates in going fishing with and I have 2 rods I need to take with me.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to take em down with me? both rods are worth over $300 each and I dont want em broken. Should I pack em in a tube and take them as luggage or post them down instead? thoughts?

Re: Rods on major airlines? or post em?

Def. put them in a Rod tube.

Jetstar have a 2M length limit, and they are pretty stringent on it!

Put them in a good rod tube with bubble wrap around them inside so they are protected & they should be ok.. ? ? ... ?

& this is coming from the horse's mouth..

You can not post anything over 1.05 metres with Australia Post. They will try and get you to send it on Australian Air Express or similar, will cost a fortune.

Haven't had any trouble with Qantas, Virgin, Air Vanuatu or Air Pacific, have not flown Jetstar though. Best to give teh Airline a call and check on maximum length allowed.

Get a good rod tube or drop into the hardware store and get some PVC pipe , screw on end caps and you should be fine. Just put some foam at each end so that the rod tips are protected.

i just got 2 rods in a tube australian air express melbourne to brisbane $9.95

Mike

I took two rods in a 90mm pvc pipe to Darwin on Virgin no worrys.I made sure I was waiting at the oversize baggage area when they bought them out.
    wamjam

PVC pipe, a blank end one end and a screw cap on the other. Use bubble wrap and make sure the tip end and butt are well padded so the rod can't slide back and forth, bubble wrap around the guides etc. Use 90 mm and you can get several rods in there.

No problems with the airlines and I've flown on heaps

cheers

Trueblue , you just said it word for word..
    Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    i just got 2 rods in a tube australian air express melbourne to brisbane $9.95

Mike
    I assume they were sent by someone that has an account with them.

If you want to send a one off without an account it will cost a lot more.

i have traveled witha fly rod to alaska in a rod tube.. pain inthe ass but not such a big deal. some airlines allow a certain length. mine was 7 foot.

OK, been there and done this heaps of times, if you have someone who you can send them to on the "other end" then most couriers will take care of it "door to door" for a very good price (done that at least 2 dozen times to QLD) but if you have no where to send them, take them with you, and Jetstar are very choosey, Qantas not too bad, a tip when packing them in a tube (this is a bit hard to describe in text) but put the rods "butt to tip" so the butt of one rod extends past the tip of another rod (this stops the tips being broken off) and lightly cable tie them together, also try to keep the guides all turned inwards, get a cheap car washing sponge or something soft and pack around one end, push it into the tube, get another piece for halfway along, then a last piece on the end that went in last, screw on cap, lable clearly and your done 100MM plumbers PVC does make a good cheap tube, but is quite large to handle, so make sure you improvise some sort of carry handle about midway along the tube.

Thanks for the advice all. I have a few tubes I might just take em down as luggage.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    so make sure you improvise some sort of carry handle about midway along the tube.
    Forgot to add this before when I commented about rod tubes. Definitely need a carry handle when travelling by plane with a rod tube. Rope will do, but where you tie the rope on remember to put a couple of layers of duct tape over it to stop your 'carry handle' sliding up and down the tube.

2 piece rods are better because you can get the length down - easier to carry the tube along with a knapsack and suitcase...

If you have several 2 piece rods, and want a short tube, you can increase the diameter of the PVC tube, but the screw caps start to get expensive on the larger pipe sizes.

Cheers

Mick