Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shimano TLD20/25 rebuild tutorial

Re: Shimano TLD20/25 rebuild tutorial

replace dog (key #26) and the main gear (key #166).

these reels definitely need a handle upgrade. tiburon makes a nice one. http://www.tiburonengineering.com/ht...r_handles.html reel colors makes one as well, http://www.reelcolors.com/reelcolors_004.htm this is the one that is made for me.

install the gear shaft thrust washer (key #79), the gear shaft shield (key #78), the new handle, the handle nut (key #76) and the handle nut screw (key #75).

install the right side plate assembly and screws (key #24).

install the lever quadrant (key #192) and screws (key #21, 19 and 86).

just a side note for a common problem. one of the screw holes for the lever quadrant was stripped out. a small copper strip was cut to fit the hole. after running the screw back in, the copper strip held the screw just fine.

install the drag control lever (key #83) and push it down into the "free" position.

align the lever shaft body (key #11) so that it "nests" with the drag control lever and drop it in. add a small amount of grease, then the dial spring (key #82) and the pre-program dial (key #9).

check the freespool.

check the maximum drag at strike before losing free spool. you should be able to get at least 20 pound. this particular reel was able to get 26 pound of drag at strike before freespool was lost. when backed off to 12 pound of drag at strike, the freespool time was 60 seconds.

you can clearly see the difference in size between the stock handle and the larger aftermarket handle.

just a side note. the tld 20 has nearly the same line capacity as the penn senator 113HL. the tld 25 is nearly the same as the penn senator 113HLW. for the tld 20 and 25, this means lots of line capacity, and now plenty of drag. the problem is the graphite frame. i am not aware of a single case of frame failure with these single speed tld's. i am certain that the tld 20/25 frame can easily handle 15 pounds of drag at strike with no risk of frame failure. it may be able to handle up to 18 pounds of drag at strike. please do not exceed 18 pounds.

so what this boils down to is straight 40-50 pound mono on a tld 20 with a 30% drag setting, and straight 50-60 pound mono on a tld 25 and the same 30% drag setting. you see that 18 pound of drag at strike is the heaviest setting that i would ever recommend. i believe the 18 pound strike setting for either reel is safe because i am aware of no cases of frame failure. if anyone out there knows differently, please let me know. i have no problem adjusting these numbers down.

thanks!

alan
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

As stated earlier, THIS IS NOT MY WORK.

It was done by Alan Tani and reproduced here with his permission. Many thanks to him for sharing his knowledge.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Those tutorials are great. Western Angler Fishing Forum is a great place to get tackle info from

Cheers Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

G'day

Thumbs up to alan, and yourself owen for tracking it down.

I haven't read the links, but does he do a tutorial for other reels such as baitrunners and spinners?

Very informative!!!

Dave