Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shimano TLD20/25 rebuild tutorial

Re: Shimano TLD20/25 rebuild tutorial

install the click gear (key #98), screws (key #99) and cross pin B (key #50).

now for the right side of the spool. the replacement drag washer is the drag washer used in the two speed shimano tld 20/30 II, part #TT-0246. the tabs were cut off with wire cutters. then i found an impact socked that fit the center hole just perfectly. i carefully held the drag washer against a grinder so that it would spin, and ground the drag washer down to the exact same size as the stock washer. don't worry about not having the same tabs as the stock washer. the tabs are not needed.

apply a thin coat of shimano drag grease to the spool.

apply a thin coat of grease to both sides of the drag washer and press it into place.

rub off all the excess grease.

install the bearings (key #216) and pressure release spring (key #202).

you will notice a small amount of play in the drag plate assembly. that play needs to be eliminated. pop out the seal lock (key #31).
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

from left to right, you see the seal lock (key #31), the drag plate (key #91), pre-load spring A (key #60) and the pinion guard (key #196). what i am holding is a stainless steel washer that my machine shop buddy punched out for me. this replaces the 4 layers of masking tape that you saw in the tld 20/30 two speed upgrade post.

if there is ALOT of play in the drag plate assembly, install pre-load spring A in the "down" position to take up more play. normally you can install pre-load spring "up" position.

install the drag plate assembly and cooling shield (key #89).

use the wrench (key #230) to tighten down the spooling shield

install the spool assembly back into the frame. install the pinion gear (key #168).

ok, we're done with the frame and spool. now we're on to the right side plate. first, we need to get to the right main side plate bearing (key #215). a "coffee grinder" sensation when you turn the handle says this bearing is shot. it is always the first one to go out.

remove the handle screw (key #75), the handle nut (key #76), the handle (key #208), gear shaft shield (key #78), gear shaft thrust washer (key #79) and the main gear (key #166). the dog (key #26) will fall out.

the original bearing was totally rusted, so the shields were removed from a new bearing, and the bearing was packed with grease.