Thread: 20lb Braid on Tss4

20lb Braid on Tss4

Hi Fellers,

I've decided to spool up a TSS4 with 20lb Braid for chucking big slugs (45-85g) on a 12' Live Fibre in the surf for bigger Tailor etc.

I've got a 150yd spool of Crystal Fireline and 300yd spool of Platypus Super Braid kicking about. I'll use the existing mono (can't remember what it is, but also 20lb) for backing.

What do you guys reckon would be the best option for this?

Good luck,
    Mike

Re: 20lb Braid on Tss4

Hi 2iar
    I am assuming that you are spooling with braid to achieve better distance casting.
    If you are using this reel exclusively for spinning ,is it worth the extra cost to spool with braid.
    Do you think you will get that much more distance than say, super 100 or other fine mono.
    Just a thought.
    rando

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Hi 2iar
    I am assuming that you are spooling with braid to achieve better distance casting.
    If you are using this reel exclusively for spinning ,is it worth the extra cost to spool with braid.
    Do you think you will get that much more distance than say, super 100 or other fine mono.
    Just a thought.
    rando
    Hi Rando,

Yep, casting distance was the main consideration. I've already got a couple of spools lying around (Crystal Fireline or Platypus Super Braid), so there's no extra expense - I'm a bit of a tackle junkie, unfortunately. I've also already got 15lb Super 100 on the spare TSS spool, so I was really just after an opinion on what would be the better option of the two braids as an alternative to the Super 100. Like I say, I've already got them ready to spool, and never used either of them, so any advice would be appreciated.

Good lkuck,
    Mike

If I had a spare 300yd spool of super braid I would chuck it on there. If you dont like it wip it off with the power drill.

Rob

Hi mate,
    I have my TSS4 spooled with 20lb fireline which I love.
    A good little trick with the TSS4's is to take the spool off and add an extra spacer.
    This helps when spooling up and the line seems to be more evenly distributed across the spool.....as the T'SS4's are known for the bad way the line spools on them.It loads more line on the top of the spool and not evenly.
    This helps greatly and you get a good capacity and great for distance casting.

Pete

2iar
    Ive used playpus superbraid (30lb)on my thunnus reel for the last couple of years and I think its pretty good. not as thin as some lines but ties well and reasonably tough as well.
    I havent used the other so can't comment.
    I recently respooled my TSS4 and decided on mono, just to save a few bucks.
    cheers
    rando

Pistol Pete,

Could you elaborate a bit about fitting a spacer to the TSS4?

Diameter, thickness, hole size etc.

Many thanks,

TOL

I use 14lb fireline and 20lb Fins. The Fireline comes off the spool better and is less inclined to grab extra loops and form wind knots. The reason I use braid is for the makedly less resistance to wave and water drag. A 65gm Raider and 90m of wet 20lb mono is hard work.
    Most people who surf spin a lot still use mono but at the moment I will stick to braid

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

if its going to be used soley for spinning then either would be fine, i use 20lb fireline for my spinning off the rocks for salmon, bonito and rat kings and no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went the superbraid in the end because I've never used it before, and I tried some Berkely Whiplash on another reel that I found to be a bit stiff. I suppose I'll just need to buy another reel to put the crystal on

Good luck,
    Mike