Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: on Fraser once a year want quiet tyres

on Fraser once a year want quiet tyres

I need new tyres for my landcruiser and go to fraser once a year

so figure I probably need a quiet tyre more than a mud slinger

I was figuring on the type that is more road tyre than off road

but will they handle fraser next time

the tyre man tells me I want yokohamas as they wear faster but stick best in the wet and are quiet

I like the idea of the big landcruiser being safe with my wife driving in the wet

thanks for your thoughts

Gaz

Re: on Fraser once a year want quiet tyres

BFG A/T
    had them on hilux, Quiet on the road, grip well and are great in the sand.
    Mate has them on his cruiser and swears by them.

Have some mates who go to fraser every year for the past 12 years. most have coopers on their wagons mostly prados and pajeros that get used daily running the kids to school. I have fitted some to my wifes car (kluger) and they are heaps better in the wet than the original toyos.

I don't have any connection with the sellers of coopers btw.

cheers

Alex

Personally BFG's AT's and you can get LT in the size you want and remain legal
    Mike

Any normal H/T tyre would be fine on the sand. They are usually rated as "90% road/sand, 10% off-road".

i run coopers on my old 47, its so noisy inside i cant hear the tyres nor the radio, people talking, the only thing i hear are those little voices in my head...

As stated, any H/T ( highway terrain ) will do the job. Mud stuff will have you digging yourself into trouble, but then again, my personal belief is that the vehicle is only as good as it's driver when 4 x 4ing.

A lot of tyres in this catagory will do the job so it's probably going to come down to budget.

I think a trip to Fraser once a year doesn't really come into the equation in your situation when looking for new tyres.

You simply look at what your majority of driving will be and then the type of off road stuff in your sights.

The BFG, Wranglers and Coopers ( new H/T's or A/T's ) offer a very long life, quite and have the added attributes of extra side wall protection for those " bush ' trips. But they are at the higher end of the $ market, being about $250 each. But I believe that is good value.

I run Cooper A/T's on my Nissan and do Fraser, Bribie, Straddie often and then take it to LandCruiser park, Black Duck, Rover park etc........no probs, ( except for issues due to driver error ).

There is the option of just getting a second hand set of muddies on sunraiser rims , strickly for bush stuff and have the A/T, H/T for road and sand use. Second hand set of wheels and tyres will not break the bank and can be a safeguard against scratching/ breaking nice mags that you may normally run on your Cruiser.

Just a thought,

Cheers Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 16-06-2007 at 11:42 AM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Cooper A/T's are a fantastic tyre but just to throw in a great budget suggestion I saved almost $100 per tyre by going to the Kumho A/T's instead of the Coopers. They seem to wear equally as well as the Coopers (Got 130,000 klms out of the first set) and they handle most conditions exceptionally well. Quite a nice looking tyre too with white lettering and they make minimal noise on the road (you can hear a slight whine but not much). Have used them at Fraser and they handled the sand effortlessly even towing a fully loaded trailer and I have tested them in some rather challenging situations offroad also and they come up trumps. Paid $195.00 each for them fitted and balanced and I will stick to them next time I need new tyres I think. No point spending $300.00 per tyre when these seem to do the same job. Of course what you decide on is entirely up to you.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 16-06-2007 at 07:50 AM.

130,000 K's from ya tyres Andrew. You are not driving it hard enough. If I get 50,000 I am happy, even though the Coopers are guaranteed for 80,000k.

I do 75% road, 20% off road and split the remaining 5% between Water and Air.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    130,000 K's from ya tyres Andrew. You are not driving it hard enough. If I get 50,000 I am happy, even though the Coopers are guaranteed for 80,000k.

Phill
    With the ongoing cost (rotate & balance) every 10k on the Coopers to maintain warantee

Gaz,very good advice allround,I manage a tyre store in brissy so if you want to talk $ or whatever drop us a pm,happy to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

Phill
    Well we all know how hard you drive your car Phill. Yes I got a lot of K's out of the last set and they were basically Kumho road tyres (smooth tread) but I still did my trips to Fraser with them and still took them off road and one of them was even good enough to put on the back as a spare but I have to admit I punish the A/T's I have now just a bit more than the last set. I hope they wear as well as the last tyres did. So far they are going well.

Poodroo

Guys If I could just throwan extra question in here to save on choking up the board with another thread

I am currently running Bridgstone Dueler A/T 694's on my 3.5l Pajero, there starting to get on the low side tread wise. I have ordered a new boat which will top the scales around 2200kg all up, I frequently use a ramp that is sand based so grip will be important. The other thing to concider is thats the only real time I use it as a 4x4 the rest of the time its mums taxi Any one have some suggestions on which tyres would suit me best

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Garry,
    Out of interest, how many kms did you get out of the bridgestone 694's?

Steve

Steve,

I think they have on or around 37,000 with no more than 10,000 left in them.

I do like them and will most likely go with them again if there isnt a "much" beter alternative

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech