Thread: Rust Proofing

Rust Proofing

Whats the best rustproofing? Electronic or Spray on. Love to here what your thoughts are.

Cheers,
    Greg

Re: Rust Proofing

Electronic by far!! 1 of my old 4x4 mates was given a elect rust proofing device as a trial to convince all of his other 4x4 mates and basically the whole 4x4 club... And i was very very impressed!! Took it upto fraser and he sand blasted his goose neck and tow ball right back to raw metal and even sandblasted through some already rusty stuff. Now on the beach overnight youd think by the next morning it would be showing signs of rust. But nothing at all. He drove it into waves and wash/saltwater and a week later still on fraser and nothing (still shiney even). It doesnt stop the rust just slows it down drematically. And also doesnt mean you shouldnt get lazy and still wash out your chassi's and sandy spots and the usual (check breathers, and regrease everything). It worth every penny... BD

Personally those electric devices are bit far fetched.Being a panel beater I've worked on cars that have these fitted and seen rust forming around the seams and I'm talking late model 4WDs.Can't go past Lanolin or trusty old fish oil.

ah ha, good old fish oil days. And the beachside full underbody washes that fade your paint. . There are some cheap crappy brands like those anoid ones that rust up. But the ones around the $600 work like a charm. Sorry but i cant remember the name of this brand anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
    Personally those electric devices are bit far fetched.Being a panel beater I've worked on cars that have these fitted and seen rust forming around the seams and I'm talking late model 4WDs.Can't go past Lanolin or trusty old fish oil.
    i absolutley love this query,,, and theres been heaps of em,,,

waynesworld has a valid point,,,, but with a bit of commonsense NO-ONE applies lanolin or fish oil any more do they?????

come on truly???????

do a search on the subject,,, and make your own decision,,,, and by the way,,, yeh i have a bit of bias towards electronic,,, purchased one over 5-6 or more 4b's ago,,,, still have the same module on the new 'lux

(in stating that ,,, the newer version that HAS NO pads is a better for money value module,,, after the research and $ spent on it,,,, it better be)

electronic vs conventional,,,, always a matter of choice,,, but i can confidentley state that 99% of the resorts that abound qld that run 4b's,,, and NOW 90% of govt 4b's that undergo salt/sand action,,,,, all have electronic fitted

as per the insurance qld gazette printed april 2007,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

, yeah ill admit when i first started 4x4ing the fish oil was all the rage and i used to spray the crap out of my chassi rails (till it dripped out all the weep holes) and other obvious rust area's. And then the sand gets in there and sticks to the fish oil. (laugh) and ofcourse the jokes and pranks, like the first time i used it and my truck absolutely stank of fish inside and out and i couldnt understand why it stank so much, till 1 of my mates spilled the beens and that they had put prawns under my seat 3 days ago.. But these days i wouldnt go anywhere near the stuff. I think if you get rust injections and a e.r.p.s then your fine. After all rusty paint chips dont look very good on a white car!!! But now i havent even got 1 with my elec device...

thanks guys