Thread: need a lil help..

need a lil help..

hey all im still really unsure about a few things when it comes to fly fishing, firstly i really dont know what weight class my rod is in. heres the story, about 4 years back my parents got a rod building kit of a family friend who does a lot of importing, the blank is a st croix i know this much but nothing else of it i think its in the range of 7, 8, 9 weight, is there anyway to work this out or tell.

secondly what sort of set up should i have as a leader/tippet. ive been looking and all the things like feruled leaders, braided loops and stuff is just a mess to me. what should i have running off my fly line.
    fly line wise i have fenwick weight foward floating, and also a sinking. ive heard flurocarbon floats so use that for my floating line, and mono sinks so use that for the other. just do i need braided loops and stuff like that.

thanks

Re: need a lil help..

Ben ,
    someone has told you the wrong way around Fluorocarbon sinks and Mono Floats
    as far as you leader goes don't beleive the hype , I have always beleived in the KISS principal of flyfishing (keep it simple stupid) , I in nearly all circumstanses use a two peice leader so this would have say for Tuna half a rod lenght of 60 lb tied to half a rod lenght off 20 lb , it needs to go from a higher diameter to a lower one to turn over the fly . it is handy to have a braided loop on the end of your flyline so it it doesn't become smaller with each leader change and then start effecing its performance of the line , they are esay to do but unless you have heaps of lines you might want to take it to someone else to do , I know Gavin at tie n fly does them for around $5 each ,its peice of mind I reckon if that fish of a lifetime eats you fly and it lets go . With you leader knots I make a loop to loop connection in the butt this a double sugeon loop knot this connects to your braided loop , I then conncet the tippet to the butt withh a triple sugeon knot then a lefty loop to the fly , piss easy

I cant help you with what weight your rod is rated to, someone else maybe able to help

thanks again for your help mate, just want to get everything sussed out first before i put a fly in the water, as for the flurocarbon and mono thing it was prob me mixing them up!

Smile Re: need a lil help..

Ben, Not sure where you live mate, but if its on the southside of brissy, give Duncan O'Connel at fishhead(redlandbay) a geko a the wand. Duncan is keen fly fisho and knows his stuff. If you live closer to the gold coast, check out the web site for the southeast qld flyfishers. We meet once a month, and have plenty of clued up members ready to help with wand waving.
    I'm at wello. Shoot me a pm if I can help in any way.

Bassbuster

hey mate thanks for theadvice, im on the northside actually but still ill throw ya a pm!

Smile Re: need a lil help..

Ben, I have returned yor pm with a range of options for picking up the info you are after. I had to flick it off twice, as it didn't seem to send cleanly. Hope you got it ok. I will be going down to our club meeting on tuesday night if you would like to come along for a geko.

Bassbuster

BB,
    I am going up to inskip to fish with some of the SEQFF tommorrow by all reports that I heard today sounds like the Tuna are relativly thick our president pinned 8 LT's and 4 macs before lunch , I am bringing him a spare #10 as his other one exploded , I am sure you will hear about it at your meeting.
    It will be good to catch up with some of the SEQFF boys at carlo point

hey BB, i didnt get your pm just checked, and about tuesday night, if you could include some details like where and time ill get back to you. but usually dont get back from work until 6 most nights.