Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can sounders scare the fish

Thumbs up Re: Can sounders scare the fish

I don't know Raymond, I have a sounder on my boat and gee's I have a lot of fun Nailing Bass and Barra, I suppose any sound different to what fish are used too can spook them, My sounder stays on all the time, it might be worth turning off and testing the theory next time Im out and about, Cheers Whitto

Re: Can sounders scare the fish

Avid supporter of Meals on Reels

Quote Originally Posted by O SEA D View Post
    Interesting article

cheers O SEA D

Quote Originally Posted by O SEA D View Post

Well there ya go.
    If thats to be believed then sounders do NOT scare fish.
    It would be interesting to know,however,how they were able to test the frequencies that fish were able to hear.That would have made for an interesting experiment.

Scott

It's well documented the frequencies that varying species of fish can hear at - well not in Australia as we are very slow at researching this field. Was proven that some fish species swim away from US naval vessels echo sounders. Also proven that fish can hear dolphins that have a much higher frequency of communication than fish. My personal belief is that sounders may well affect catch rates if left on and as such I turn them off once anchored and turn on as required when drifting.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Hi Ray,

I dont believe in aliens,santa claus or the easter bunny and it will take something more than heresay for me to believe that having the sounder on will deter the fish.
    Possibly in the shallow water.But is it the sounder or the rattle of the anchor chain ,the sinker hitting the side of the boat ,something dropped in the boat the shadow of the hull or the waves slapping on the side of the boat ,the moon, the tide or a shark that might be putting the fish off.
    I dont really see how you could scientifically prove it one way or the other,either.There are just so many variables.
    If it makes you feel more confident ,then just turn it off while anchored up.

Scott
    You seem to know alot about this subject as well Scott!!!

I'll turn my sounder of at anchor and once i've established my drift i'll turn it off drifting as well. During a dive it is very noticable the amount of (noise) as quality sounder makes at the very least it's letting the fish know that something is not normal in there enviroment at this time and (May ) make them more cautious!!