Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Hit the water at 4am and there were already plenty of boats out and about. Top end of Green looked packed.
    Flicked SPs around Wello and got a 38 right on sun up. Motored over to the bottom end of Green for a couple of hours where we got three more about the same size.
    Thought I was snagged for a while, and whilst trying to get it off, felt some movement. A minute later a big bloody turtle hits the surface, looks at me and scrams off into the distance, my drag screaming....ended up straighening the hooks. Whats the legal size??
    Called it quits around 10am.
    Hard work, for a small return.

Re: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Mate I am not surprised......I am up on the sunshine coast but I reckon at least half the reports in this section are always about wello,green and Mud....No wonder its becoming soo busy...

Pete

Hi Beefaman, Every dick & harry go to Wello and green to fish because other ppl on this site like to tell the whole world, where exactly they catch fish in Moreton Bay. Guys too much info, place will have no fish left soon. Just because we mention H.S Hybers becon does not mean the fish are swimming right beneath the damn post.

know the feeling,,,, placed the tinny in on sunday,,,,fished most of the day,,, and it seemed as if i was the only bugger in the passage,,,, done a repeat job yesterday morning and i got tired of the traffic around 10ish,,,, mrs choppa called me up to say we had visitors arriving,,, so i called it a day

i've got today off,,,,, and yeh i'm sneaking back out there again this morning,,,,can't let the fuel go stale,,, 'specially at today's prices

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_run View Post
    Hi Beefaman, Every dick & harry go to Wello and green to fish because other ppl on this site like to tell the whole world, where exactly they catch fish in Moreton Bay. Guys too much info, place will have no fish left soon. Just because we mention H.S Hybers becon does not mean the fish are swimming right beneath the damn post.
    So where do you catch all your fish MIDNIGHT?

Mate, i agree with you to a point but isn't that the whole idea of sites like these - to share knowledge and info? Ultimately, you still have to have the necessary skills to catch the fish in the first place so telling someone where you fish doesn't necessarily equate to them filling the creel does it?! I don't see too many posts where people say the exact mark where they catch the fish. It is pretty obvious that in M/Bay most fishing is going to be done around the islands and there isn't that many there that they can remain a secret!

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Hi T1, From what I have been seeing over the last 3 months this year the places we fish are becoming more over crowed. Ppl are coming from all over town to fish our local spots most fishermen having boats 5-6 meters well capable of going outside. We had one bloke on here 2 weeks ago thanking all of us because he now fishes the area with great success in his 6 metre outsider and wont go outside to fish for squire anymore because he can catch just as many in the bay, really whats the point of owning all that boat then?????

Not sure where you're going with this one midnight... I too get frustrated by crowds and probably understand where you're coming from to a degree- however i wouldn't be blaming the info on this site for the crowds. If you're a good fisherman you should still be able to catch fish on a peice of turf away from the crowds... that is unless you have a tiny boat and can't safely explore the bay- perhaps this explains the ill feeling towards bigger boats fishing in close. With the price of petrol the way it is I'd be fishing more in the bay then outside in a boat that size.

If it was the fishing reports that were to blame for the location of these boats...why weren't any fish caught?? Sound's like a lot of people were in the wrong place...for the wrong reasons.... including YOU! Find some new territory away from the crowds...you'll catch more fish and have less to whinge about!

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    So where do you catch all your fish MIDNIGHT?

Mate, i agree with you to a point but isn't that the whole idea of sites like these - to share knowledge and info? Ultimately, you still have to have the necessary skills to catch the fish in the first place so telling someone where you fish doesn't necessarily equate to them filling the creel does it?! I don't see too many posts where people say the exact mark where they catch the fish. It is pretty obvious that in M/Bay most fishing is going to be done around the islands and there isn't that many there that they can remain a secret!

Take Care T
    Hey T

I agree with you also to a point T......I love getting on here and sharing reports and photos etc.....However there are many people on these sites that just feed off the info (and dont contribute) and then you end up "$$hitting in your own nest" and the places get overcrowded.Then you get peolpe who rape the grounds of fish.
    I for one try never to name exact locations as I believe that is part of it all....Doing the research and finding spots that produce fish then having the skill to catch fish....If I catch fish here in the Noosa River I think by me saying I caught them in the "Noosa River" thats enough.I dont see why peolpe name exact locations.

Pete

I release most of what i catch especially the bigger snapper over 50 cm and i get a few jibes from guys on here for doing it but i really do believe we are headed for disaster at the current rate, so many more fishing using the latest gear and plastics ect which returns more fish captured, the bay only has so much broken bottom that suits reef fish and these fish take years to get to that size, it wouldnt surprise me to see much of the bay closed down to fishing, i went to green today and so did 7 other boats, and this was a weekday!!, i believe we should be lobbying govt to make more habitat for reef fish by dropping say building rubble and rocks over the broad area from the mouth of the river to mud island, this would hugely increase the reef habitat for snapper ect and take pressure of the islands,,, your thoughts??.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    i believe we should be lobbying govt to make more habitat for reef fish by dropping say building rubble and rocks over the broad area from the mouth of the river to mud island, this would hugely increase the reef habitat for snapper ect and take pressure of the islands,,, your thoughts??.
    Another artificial reef somewhere would be good - especially if it were close in for the guys with little boats - but they need to put it somewhere where it does not interfere with the livelihood of the trawlers.

BTW, Mud Island has a 10km circumference so if people say that they catch fish there, that is an awful lot of water to explore. It is just unfortunate that people tend to congregate around certain spots.

It is not this website that is necessarily to blame for giving out information about good locations. Isn't that what every fishing magazine is about? Certainly the local ones are.

Same as for the fishing expos at the various boat shows. Indeed, the only reason that I attend most of them. No fishing expo, no attendance by Charlie. Ony have ever been to one Sanctuary Cove boat show accordingly - they don't have fishing expos there.

I have no idea what the halcyon days of fishing were like in Moreton Bay but I am not complaining about it in 2007. It seems to me that there are plenty of fish and plenty of places to find them - but I sure have appreciated the start-up help that people on this website have given me.

Once you make a start your confidence gets you the rest of the way.

Look at Great White. by example. I recall his bemoaning on this site last year about how after several bay trips he still had to get his first squire. In his last report he bagged out. A fisher just needs a bit of a guiding hand at the start of their hobby and then they find that the Bay has plenty of nice fish.
    Last edited by charleville; 12-06-2007 at 03:21 PM.

MIDNIGHT - i don't believe the size of the boat should necessarily mean you should fish certain areas... My best mate has a 7m plate alloy centre cab and i can't begin to tell you how much more comfy it is on an overnighter as opposed to my crappy little 4.5 centre console.

NOVICE - 2nd that!

PISTOL - Pete, generally most will give location similiar to you ie Wello (but where at wello?). It's a fair bit of turf to cover still isn't it... As i mentioned previously, how many times have you seen a GPS mark published on here for a certain spot? It's a case of follow the crowds i think out there! I recall many trips at Fraser where we'd find our own gutters away from the crowd only to have a few spot us (even as inconspicuous as you try to be on a open beach). Go back the next day and it's busier than a brothel on a 2 for 1 evening!

ALLEY - creating more reef is a top idea and as i've said in the past, i agree with your conservation actions but i believe that the smaller fish should be going back and the bigger ones be taken - if we take all the sub 60 fish, then none will grow to become the bigger fish that you release... That makes more sense to me but everyone has their own theory - and i respect that totally!

CHARLIE, Bruce, agree with your sentiments...

Take Care T
    Last edited by T1; 12-06-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Not to worry Beefa I am sure midnight can put you on to a few

Sometimes they just aren't hungry Beefa better luck next trip
    It's all part of the fishing experience

Smile Re: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Another artificial reef somewhere would be good - especially if it were close in for the guys with little boats - but they need to put it somewhere where it does not interfere with the livelihood of the trawlers.

fish.

Hi charlieville, mate the trawlers?, well i would rather see the govt buy out the licences of a good percentage of them, look boys how much money do we send the govts way with everything we spend regarding fishing?, the jobs it creates? and we get what in return?, how many new boat ramps in brisbane in last 20 years? or extra parking spots?, i can think of 1 new ramp and thats on logan river under highway, ok if you want some mud cakes, i would love to see rubble and rocks dumped in a 500-1000 metre strip from mouth of river to western side of mud, WOW its called giving something back to the people who fork out the money and it keeps the green happy i hope, otherwise i can see closeures for bay island reefs in near future, can anybody tell me what govt department i would promote this idea to?.

Quote Originally Posted by smallunit View Post
    Its not in the spirit of the chatboard to mislead in reports, its also against the rules when we joined. the reports should be accurate or not posted.

my thoughts
    No one said anything about being misleading
    You can still give an accurate report without the exact location.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Hi charlieville, mate the trawlers?,
    Alleycat, I would not disagree with your comments about the need by governments to plough some money back into recreational fishing facilities but my comment about the trawlers is that they do provide a valuable service to the general public - otherwise we will all be eating Vietnamese catfish and prawns from whoknowswhere.

Also, to be honest, they have never done me any harm when I have been on the water so I shall reciprocate.