Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Re: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Quote Originally Posted by BAT View Post
    In winter Snapper come to the inshore reef's to breed! ie make baby snapper's.

Thats all good bat, but honestly, 2 guys that ive recently put onto soft plastics and light gear were going out through the seaway every week to fish the reefs and like i said we caught more in one trip in the bay using plastics than my mate had caught in 12 months of going offshore every week, those people who think snapper magically come in from the open ocean in never ending numbers might want to wake up and understand you cant rip 15 year old fish out at the current rate and not see the whole thing fall over.

Well, while i think this thread has just about run its course, i think there are a few things worth repeating. Firstly, for goodness sake Beefa, post future reports. That goes for just about everyone else too, regardless of location. The difference with Wello compared to mud or green is that it is such a small stretch of water, you may as well post gps marks.
    Tinn I hope i have got you wrong mate, we'll leave it at that. and if you and T1 are not going further afield coz of vessell reliability issues, i'd be happy to take you for a run into the paddock to hunt some bulls and leave the weaners around Wello in our wake. No promises, but its the best i can do.

The other point i wanted to make is that it is not just AF members who read the reports sections. It is out there for every cyber-hawker to see, so yes, we may well be contributing to the downfall of our fishery when we get specific. Maybe, maybe not, and this can be debated till the cows come home, but i don't think any of us can deny that it is a possibilty best avoided. While Ausfishers on the whole seem to acknowledge and practice sustainability, It is a view not always shared by the 'Grabemwhileyoucan' fishos out there.

So keep the reports coming, but lets all be mindfull of the influences they may have. Heck, if you wanna be specific, that's what the PM system is for. Go for it.

Happy fishing,
    Damo
    Last edited by Deiter; 14-06-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelt my own name wrong, sheeeesh!
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Thats all good bat, but honestly, 2 guys that ive recently put onto soft plastics and light gear were going out through the seaway every week to fish the reefs and like i said we caught more in one trip in the bay using plastics than my mate had caught in 12 months of going offshore every week, those people who think snapper magically come in from the open ocean in never ending numbers might want to wake up and understand you cant rip 15 year old fish out at the current rate and not see the whole thing fall over.
    The point Im making is that these people are taking breeding fish!!! SHAME ON ANYONE that does THIS!!!to a already fragail enviroment!!.

If there is such an impact on the fish stocks at Wello then how come so many alleged bagouts are happening? Not long ago I was fishing Wello and having a shocker until I moved and found where they were. I noted all the boats around me weren't onto the fish but where I was they just couldn't wait to jump on the hook. I kept three keepers and returned 60+ fish unharmed back into their home. To me it seems pointless basing an argument on hearsay. I have seen no substantial proof that the fish stocks are deminishing in the bay. The real criminals are the ones who keep everything including undersized fish and not the guys who do a post in this forum about the good fish that they "legally" were allowed to keep. I have to admit to doing well at Wello but as yet I have not experienced a bagout. Perhaps I'd best keep it hush hush if I do after seeing how many people are here to persecute the ones who have success.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 14-06-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    If I have seen no substantial proof that the fish stocks are deminishing in the bay. The real criminals are the ones who keep everything including undersized fish and not the guys who do a post in this forum about the good fish that they "legally" were allowed to keep.
    Poodroo
    Mate saying that your saying that the catches are the same as in the 70s, 50s, 30s and last century, i mread an article on 12gentleman going for a days fishing on a bombie off stradbroke island in 1890 and they caught 1100 snapper for the afternoon, the truth is fishing pressure has never been greater and the fishing methods never so efficient, and if you want to believe it means nothing then go for it and take what you can while you can.

Interesting debate 'guys' - In my experience only 10% of anglers catch 90% of the available fish. That leaves a lot of fishless fishermen! Some 'old fellas' talk of the 'good old days' and how brilliant the fishing was back in the 40's and 50's - but was it better then?.......I don't think so. The 10% are STILL catching most of the fish on a consistent basis. It doesn't matter how many boats are out there or how many reports there are outlining Wello and Mud etc - those in the know ARE producing. The challenge is to break into the 10% club. Do the research....use Ausfish as a tool if you like....be patient....create your own luck!
    Goodluck....

I wasn't around in 1890 but definitely catch more and better quality fish in my local haunt than 20 -25 yrs ago!
    Improved water quality is surely a major factor.

In winter Snapper come to the inshore reef's to breed! ie make baby snapper's. The point Im making is that these people are taking breeding fish!!! SHAME ON ANYONE that does THIS!!!to a already fragail enviroment!!.
    Do they? Or are they resident bay fish?
    Why is it that large deep water snapper predominantly have the lump on the head while large snapper caught in the bay shallows nearly always don't? Does it drop off when they come in to breed?
    Anyway, last time I had a meal of inshore snapper cooked with lemon butter sauce (Mmmm), I can't recall caring either way.

The point Im making is that these people are taking breeding fish!!! SHAME ON ANYONE that does THIS!!!to a already fragail enviroment!!.
    Sorry Bat - cant agree with you there!! So whats the solution? only take undersize fish? or no fish at all?

I'm no marine biologist but from the reports I have read there is considerable argument that at least in resident reef species such as coral trout culling some of the older and larger members actually helps the reef to hold more and on average larger resident fish... now thats a whole other debate - but some of the writings by eminent marine biologist Dr Walter Stark are well worth a read and provide with a bit of base knowledge before alleging the old greenie argument that for every fish we take - thats one less in the system. Nature doesnt work like that - just as fire in the forest can spawn new growth, taking fish can actually increase the fish population. Take for instance lions - the rogue male will kill a cub if possible to bring the female into spawning season - to generate new cubs... its nature - we catch a fish - we eat a fish, the remaining fish breed and the cycle starts again.

Anyway... like I said - I'm no expert but it seems to make sense and I dont feel guilty for taking the odd fish for a feed. And quite personally I dont think people should make others feel guilty about what is clearly their legal right and their choice.

But IMO thats not what this debate was all about - it was about broadcasting specific locations... again its a matter of choice - if you dont want to broacast and you want to shade in your pictures in black - just in case someone works out your secret spot - then fine do that... dont share! - but if you want to share your knowledge and experience freely with others - then great do that. But dont beat up on people just because they dont share your point of view.

Its our own choice how much and what (if anything) we choose to share. Thanks to all those who have shared in the past and I hope to hear more in the future (if you dare).

Cheers,

Adam

p.s:

A little perspective,

ausfish.com.au Most users ever on-line at once was 574, 12-06-2007 at 08:14 PM Threads: 59,031, Posts: 542,909, Members: 19,340

What percentage of members gave you a hard enough time that people aren't going to post reports anymore?
    Absolutely correct!! but like those people who are trying to send the message about violence say.... "It only takes one punch to kill" So yeah... out of 19340 it may only take 1.
    Last edited by Adamy; 14-06-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Captain View Post
    Interesting debate 'guys' - In my experience only 10% of anglers catch 90% of the available fish. That leaves a lot of fishless fishermen! Some 'old fellas' talk of the 'good old days' and how brilliant the fishing was back in the 40's and 50's - but was it better then?.......I don't think so. The 10% are STILL catching most of the fish on a consistent basis. It doesn't matter how many boats are out there or how many reports there are outlining Wello and Mud etc - those in the know ARE producing. The challenge is to break into the 10% club. Do the research....use Ausfish as a tool if you like....be patient....create your own luck!
    Goodluck....
    Sea- Captain is on the money.....Don't you guys ever have a bad fishing day?
    If everybody went out and caught heaps of fish each trip how long do you think the stocks would last?
    Mother nature will look after our snapper population and the rest is up to us.
    Snapper at 35cms have already spawned at least once in the life cycle.
    Take enough for a feed and release the rest.
    5 Squire is a good feed for a family of say four or five.
    Snapper at say 3 to four kilo you probably only need to take a couple home.
    You don't become a good fisherperson overnight it takes time and patience to earn a reward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'M PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF THIS SITE AND I HOPE THE OLDER MEMBERS KEEP CONTRIBUTING WITH GREAT REPORTS AND PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Brent
    Last edited by Aquarius; 14-06-2007 at 11:39 PM.

and no one else reports that snapper are biting at Green and Mud etc. ????

http://www.coastwatch.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and no one else reports that snapper are biting at Green and Mud etc. ????

http://www.coastwatch.com.au/
    ...But Greg, the most of the fishing reports on Brownies site could be written without ever getting out of bed...in fact, I reckon that most of them are....

Just got back from a fish at Mud tonight could noy even raise a scale

It's all good though as I got to fish with a AF member who I had not fished with or met before

The guys who I fished wello with will not keep any fish under 39 cms, thats what I call looking after the future fishing stocks of wello!!!!!!
    Peter :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Deiter View Post
    Tinn I hope i have got you wrong mate, we'll leave it at that. and if you and T1 are not going further afield coz of vessell reliability issues, i'd be happy to take you for a run into the paddock to hunt some bulls and leave the weaners around Wello in our wake. No promises, but its the best i can do.

Damo
    Gee Damo, i certainly WILL take you up on that offer in the course of this winter!! Thanks!

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Imo There should be a closed snapper season to enable them to move into the inshore reefs to breed. Just like in south oz where the month of November is closed which by all accounts has had a remarkable turn around in fish stocks since its inception. Surley we could all accept this & fish for other speices during this 1 month a year?
    Ive only ever taken one large snapper & it was dry & nowhere near as nice a tasting as the pan size ones, plus i felt like a real pr!ck when its guts where full of roe. Much nicer to catch & watch swim away these days.