Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Re: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

no wonder I rarely see a boat with an Ausfish sticker on it down the Pin...all must be at Wello etc..I might have to start going there.

I can drop my hook anywhere in the bay & three or more boats will side-up to my spot. Reporting locations makes little difference.

The comments made are such as I for one am not interested in further posting of catches and locations. The next nobby, longtail or any other catch shall be held as a closely guarded secret!!

Spot X indeed.

John
    4.1m Rainwater tank & 50hp4st donk- go the plastic

And that is exactly what I am talking about Stark.

I wont be posting a report on here again, not helping anyone out, not giving any advise.

I know I can catch fish, at a multitude of locations as well, so it doesnt bother me. There are fish all over the bay, but Wello is close to home, not too far to go in a 4m tinny, and close enough to not get into too much trouble. I will fish there again, and catch fish, but noone on here will hear about it. Pretty simple.

I don't think putting a report on here influences anyone at all...forget the knockers..that is their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mickstar001 View Post
    I think i may go fish St Helina on Friday.
    You must tell us where at St Helena. I only ever seem to catch Wobbiegongs there.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I don't think putting a report on here influences anyone at all...forget the knockers..that is their problem.

Hahaha!! Now lets be pragmatic. If you live in Brisbane, where are you going to fish in winter in a boat without driving down to the "Pin and doing battle with the gin-soaked Sunday drivers driving the big cruisers around there? Most likely it will be somewhere with structure under the water. That means it can only be Wello, Peel, Green, St Helena, Mud or the Redcliffe reefs plus a few might fish Tingalpa Creek or the Pine River. So where else will people say that they have been fishing? I am struggling to understand the heat in this discussion. Normally at this time of year, the heat is all about who is going to win the next State-of-Origin.

I for one, love to read the stories of people having success with their fishing and seeing the pictures and would hate to see people withdraw from that.

I reckon that the massive growth in the numbers of boats fishing these places has more to do with the number of very affordable seaworthy boats being sold now. After all, we are not exactly short of boat shows and dealer promotional weekends in this part of the world extolling the virtues of boat ownership. I drove down to Wello on Monday arvo just for a drive with Mrs Charleville and I was gobstruck at the number of boat trailers in the car park near the ramp. Likewise, it was the same at the normally empty South Manly ramp carpark. More boat sales = more boats on the water, especially on nice weekends like the last one.

Now there are a few secret spots in the Bay, more often than not around a bit of structure like a relatively unknown shipwreck or two but you tend to not hear about those on this site, other than seeing the pictures. As they say, fishermen are not necessarily boastful but no fisherman who has caught a big fish will ever carry it home via a deserted laneway.

It is funny though that I have found myself just drifting around in no particular place in the middle of the Bay at times doing the most unscientific exploring and then have one or two boats pull up right beside me and cast out. Hahaha! Silly buggers! I don't think that it matters what people write here. People will follow anyone anywhere.
    Last edited by charleville; 13-06-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Bruce..I live in Brisbane and have never fished at Wello or Green...never been interested in that area. If people are fishing legally and not breaking any laws regarding boats or catches then who really cares..those that don't like it either live with it or give up fishing..I still maintain that reports on here do not influence people as to places to fish..if so then I doubt it would make a difference to their catch rates as it is not always as simple as tossing a line in the water.
    I enjoy bream fishing in wintewr and travel to Caloundra often during winter...I have even put the exact locations where I fish there on here but there does not appear to be an onslaught of people fishing there. For those on the northside it is quicker to go there than to Wello.

Quote Originally Posted by beefaman View Post
    And that is exactly what I am talking about Stark.

I wont be posting a report on here again, not helping anyone out, not giving any advise.

I know I can catch fish, at a multitude of locations as well, so it doesnt bother me. There are fish all over the bay, but Wello is close to home, not too far to go in a 4m tinny, and close enough to not get into too much trouble. I will fish there again, and catch fish, but noone on here will hear about it. Pretty simple.
    Beefaman,

I for one want to encourage you, and it will be a shame not to see you post when you have a good day at wello. You remember that only 12 months ago, I was getting encouraging messages from you and several others who knew Wello better than me. Until 12 months ago I had not ever fished Wello, always drawn to the wider bay areas like Mud, the 4 beacons and Harries which was my training ground on Plastics. Wello suited me better for financial reasons and much closer than any of my regular spots, So I have "had a ball" getting to understand wello, but in that short time I have attracted my share of "knockers" who ask questions about whether I know any other places to fish other than wello. Whether those comments are in jest or not, you can't please everybody, right or wrong?

So the snapshot of the future is that USER WILL PAY, and while we think that setting up new artificial reefs is the answer, there is a cost associated with it, and IMO it won't be too long before we will all be paying permits similar to what we have in place for some freshwater impoundments and what exists in NSW. Many of you know I have stated the obvious here. The fact is, there's only a few known spots to fish, and there's more and more boat registrations every year. Do the maths.... so we blame AF members for posting the results of a good day?? Scape goating if you ask me, but personally, the boat is fixed, the time has come to leave the crowds and find my own spot X to keep secret for a while. That's the challenge of fishing!!

But thanks Beefa for your help when I asked you 12 months ago!!

Cheers

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 13-06-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Yep - I agree with you Greg. My point though is simply that there are a limited number of geographically named places to fish within 100 km either side of home and if you are a Moreton Bay fisho, then the names of those handful of places are Wello, Green, Mud etc.

Where you fish within those geographical place names, well that is another story.

I can't see much value in beating up the enthusiastic guys who give colour to this web site by exuberantly describing their success at Wello or anywhere else.

BTW, I have never fished Wello either but congratulate the guys who have success there.

Anyway, too much heat in this discussion for an old lazeabout like me. 'Tis time for me to honour a long time habit and put on my Qld jersey in readiness to watch the game on TV.

I have watched it in person at the Sydney ground and I have to report that it is a bloody cold place to be watching a State-of-origin match. The arena is so big and the icy wind just rips into ya. Better to watch it on TV.

Hey fellas i know none of you like confrontation but perhaps in 3 years if the average fisho struggles for 1 legal squire then perhaps you might see that the horse has long bolted.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Hey fellas i know none of you like confrontation but perhaps in 3 years if the average fisho struggles for 1 legal squire then perhaps you might see that the horse has long bolted.

Sorry mate. That cannot possibly be the case. No one is more average than me and I have no trouble catching squire. I am a bait fisho - usually unweighted pilchards. I also find lots of spots simply by drifting.
    Last edited by charleville; 13-06-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Wow!!! It funny how a seemingly innocent post about not catching a few fish has bought out the emotions....

Secret spot X's, bag limits, new arty grounds and all that aside, I think its a real shame when people get bagged out for bagging out in this case not bagging out - not even getting a decent feed. (although I'm sure no-one was actually bagging out Beefa) anyway enuff of the bagging out theme....

From my perspective, I have learned a great deal from fellow AFers. Like T1 I was land based till little over a year or so ago, then finally got my own boat. Up till then I had ever only caught 1 squire in my other 37-38 years on the planet - so I dont think the few fish I have taken since then have significantly impacted on fish stocks. (fish for sport or for a feed - to each his own - as long as its legal) T... Crap on your couch - thats funny stuff!!

Anyway from reading the reports and advice provided freely from many of the guys on this site, I learned quite a lot - guys like Beefa, T1, Scalem, Aquarius, Charleville (even though he's a stink man) and Foggy just to name a few - over time I have been fishing with quite a few of them and learned even more (thanks guys!!) These days I can even catch a fish or three if I really try hard enough.

As the information has flowed freely from these guys to me, I have likewise tried to help other fellow AFers who have struggled to find a fish - I like Bruce remember cheering GW on as he tried to catch his first legal squire on Placcies and I have often freely talked about where I have fished - what I used and even some of the techniques I have trialled - I dont know if its helped anyone - I certainly hope so! And like T says - it doesnt matter how many people are there - they still have to actually pull the fish from the water. Anyway no one here has a monopoly on any certain fishing spot x - its all crown water - people can fish where they like (within limits) - Yes its inconvenient trying to fish a crowded place - but its not mine - I dont own it so I cant be too upset if I have to share.

Anyway - the point is - I think its a shame that people like Beefa (and a few others who I have talked to) will now be too worried to post a report in case they cop a bagging... this is a reports section and by bagging our fellow Afers - we only detract from the value that this site provides - we dont have to agree with everything anyone says - and I have certainly had my stouches - but there are a few good guys that used to be here who arent anymore cause they copped one bagging too many. By the way - I've met Tinn and know hes a good guy and was just being funny - no harm intended... I also have been caught without my funnybone on this site.... but so far keep coming back.

I personally think some of these new guys should spend some time building relationships with fellow Afers before ripping into them - not pointing at anyone in particular but it seems to be happening a bit in the last few months.

If we dont watch ourselves we risk losing some real experience from these boards - no one will want to share anything and thats bad news for everyone. We have already lost quite a few (I can name them, but I wont)... lets not lose any more!!

My 3 and a half Cents,

Adam

Got to have a go in this one

Yes fished wello and mud as a result of reading reports on these forums
    Yes have gone out and caught no keepers at different times and tides and other times caught a feed
    But you dont need this forum to locate positions for fishing you just cruise out and see where the boats are. Make a mental note "I will give that a try one day"
    Dont bother posting reports because I usually cat 2 fish and thats enough for a feed. But exploring the bay and finding other places does get results there are features all over in places you wouldn't expect.
    I have an offshore size boat but dont want to go outside all the time weather etc so I fish the bay + sometimes fish alone and when doing this the bay is safer.

In terms of bagout I would rather catch 2 good fish on light fibre rods it more of a challenge plus be able to come back and fish again

Dont usually post reports because I didn't think anyone would want to know about 2 fish ---- maybe I should start
    "light gear big fish big fun"

A little perspective,

ausfish.com.au Most users ever on-line at once was 574, 12-06-2007 at 08:14 PM Threads: 59,031, Posts: 542,909, Members: 19,340

What percentage of members gave you a hard enough time that people aren't going to post reports anymore?

I'm with Midnight - bloody sick of reports titled "Wello fires again" "Wello still producing" "Wello produces again" (and same for Green and Mud) etc (yes you offenders know who you are!). No wonder the fishing gets tougher - you mongrels are on a mission to see the place have boats descend like locusts.

This may be heresy, but I think the fishing pressures created give ammunition to the extreme environmentalists trying to shut fishing in the bay down (or worse, provides propaganda for the politicians who just want the green vote and couldn't care one way or another about the issues).

How about you blokes who fall in love with a place, be just a little discreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Dome View Post
    I'm with Midnight - bloody sick of reports titled "Wello fires again" "Wello still producing" "Wello produces again" (and same for Green and Mud) etc (yes you offenders know who you are!). No wonder the fishing gets tougher - you mongrels are on a mission to see the place have boats descend like locusts.

This may be heresy, but I think the fishing pressures created give ammunition to the extreme environmentalists trying to shut fishing in the bay down (or worse, provides propaganda for the politicians who just want the green vote and couldn't care one way or another about the issues).

How about you blokes who fall in love with a place, be just a little discreet.
    Gee CHROME! Tell us what you really think! I'm not sure that you even read all the threads on this post and whether you comprehended any of it but isn't the idea of a 'report' is to do exactly that? As i stated earlier, why have a 'reports' section if it is not a true reflection of its meaning?!

As for the 'mongrels' barb, i'll take that as personal given i always state where i caught my fish! Maybe you should leave this site if you don't wish to be offended or angered by peoples reports! I assume given these cause you and others such great offence, you all write to the relevant publications and show organisers and demand that they too be a little discreet with their locations? What?! You DON'T!? Don't be such hypocrites then...

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan